Chantastic....the return of Patrick

Emdee

My guess is it's very comfortable, and easy to move in.
I think that is what it is.
Also, he must not detract from the mood and movement. At most a similar costume would work.

Patrick is not a flamboyant skater but an exquisite introspective skater. This is why programs like Elegy and Journey work well and draw accolades.

Because of his fabulous edges and skating skills he can showcase anything but he reaches out to a greater audience with a program like journey...even non believers get converted!

clairecloutier

I liked last year's costume a LOT. I still would've liked to see something new this year, even if were the same outfit but just in a different color.

However, we know that comfort and familiarity are important to Patrick. So, whatever helps him skate well, I'm fine with it.

kittysk8ts

even non believers get converted!

It absolutely baffles me when his skating skills are not acknowledged as some of the best ever seen in this sport. The first time I ever saw Patrick was the novice men's competition at Canadian Championships all those years ago and when I saw him on the warm up, I actually said "What the hell is that??? Who is that and how is he doing that??" The way he literally threw his body into those edges, the lean of his body and the deep knees....I had never seen anything like it before and not since. I know there have been lots of others with stellar skills, obviously, but none compare to Patrick for me. I get emotional watching him. I could easily watch him with no jumps at all and be completely in awe. I think he deserves EVERY SINGLE POINT he gets for PCS.

clarie

I totally agree. It's even more obvious when seen in the arena. There are a few who can come close, but no-one can touch him in that regard. IDK whether it's his early training or some inherent talent, but it is certainly obvious.

skateboy

It absolutely baffles me when his skating skills are not acknowledged as some of the best ever seen in this sport.

:confused: Has anyone ever said otherwise? If so, I haven't heard that. Even his detractors admit that his skating skills are possibly the best ever.

Patrick looks and sounds so much happier with this new coaching team. Wishing him well.

skateboy

Ummmm.....you're kidding right? Chanflation and all that jazz......constant griping about his PCS marks "holding him up"...
Sure, people have complained and griped about Chanflation, but those same people do acknowledge his fantastic skating skills.

I love Patrick's skating. But the biggest issue, at least from where I sit, is that (at least in the past) Patrick received big PCS numbers in areas other than skating skills, when he skated programs with multiple falls and other big flaws. So yes, in those cases, people complained that he was held up. It doesn't mean that his superior skating skills aren't admired. They are.

I personally think Patrick has the best skating skills of any male skater, ever. His female counterpart in that area, IMO, is Janet Lynn. Both breathtaking to watch.

kittysk8ts

So yes, in those cases, people complained that he was held up.

Well, I am not sure you are correct that ALL those who complained about Chanflation admired his skating skills. But, I personally feel he SHOULD be held up. See what I mean jellybean? Perhaps my wording was confusing, which I totally acknowledge as a possibility. Anyway, did not want to start something. And I LOVE Janet Lynn as well :)

Emdee

Sure, people have complained and griped about Chanflation, but those same people do acknowledge his fantastic skating skills.

I love Patrick's skating. But the biggest issue, at least from where I sit, is that (at least in the past) Patrick received big PCS numbers in areas other than skating skills, when he skated programs with multiple falls and other big flaws. So yes, in those cases, people complained that he was held up. It doesn't mean that his superior skating skills aren't admired. They are.

I personally think Patrick has the best skating skills of any male skater, ever. His female counterpart in that area, IMO, is Janet Lynn. Both breathtaking to watch.

What you say is not true.....I don't want to name names but while Chan was decimated for his falls others were forgiven handily and excused royally. We Chan fans have been treated like the pariahs of the skating boards.

skateboy

Well, I am not sure you are correct that ALL those who complained about Chanflation admired his skating skills. But, I personally feel he SHOULD be held up. See what I mean jellybean? Perhaps my wording was confusing, which I totally acknowledge as a possibility. Anyway, did not want to start something. And I LOVE Janet Lynn as well :)
Okay, gumdrop. ;)

bardtoob

Ummmm.....you're kidding right? Chanflation and all that jazz......constant griping about his PCS marks "holding him up"...

. . .Patrick received big PCS numbers in areas other than skating skills, when he skated programs with multiple falls and other big flaws. So yes, in those cases, people complained that he was held up. It doesn't mean that his superior skating skills aren't admired. They are.

...I don't want to name names but while Chan was decimated for his falls others were forgiven handily and excused royally. We Chan fans have been treated like the pariahs of the skating boards.

There were times when he could have gotten 11 in SS but 8.25 in PE, etc.

It would have helped Patrick if he began falling on the 4S earlier in his career ;)

Uploaded on Jul 11, 2011
Patrick Chan talks about his first Quad Sal - which happened only a week ago!!

. . . and skating fans have been complaining about held up skaters since before the Arpanet.

You don't really know what it is like to be a pariah until you have loved the skating of Michelle Kwan . . . :drama:

Last edited:

chapis

I remember the first time I noted him was 2009-2010 with his Tango de los exiliados, I was very impressed, then I read all those interviews, add he winning with falls, I thought people exaggerated about his performances and SS, basically he was very irritating for me, but I went to 4cc 2012 , I really did not want he winning the competition because all I mentioned already and because I was very in love with Daisuke, but I could not help it, I was like hipnotized seeing him to skate, when the competition finished I just accepted he was fabulous and that was my conversion of hater to fan :drama:. Besides I thought he was very handsome, I felt like betraying to Dai :rofl:.

kittysk8ts

There were times when he could have gotten 11 in SS but 8.25 in PE, etc.

It would have helped Patrick if he began falling on the 4S earlier in his career ;)

Uploaded on Jul 11, 2011
Patrick Chan talks about his first Quad Sal - which happened only a week ago!!

. . . and skating fans have been complaining about held up skaters since before the Arpanet.

You don't really know what it is like to be a pariah until you have loved the skating of Michelle Kwan . . . :drama:
Yes, all true. I worship Michelle Kwan and so I know what ya mean :) She changed the landscape of figure skating in the best way possible.

kittysk8ts

I remember the first time I noted him was 2009-2010 with his Tango de los exiliados, I was very impressed, then I read all those interviews, add he winning with falls, I thought people exaggerated about his performances and SS, basically he was very irritating for me, but I went to 4cc 2012 , I really did not want he winning the competition because all I mentioned already and because I was very in love with Daisuke, but I could not help it, I was like hipnotized seeing him to skate, when the competition finished I just accepted he was fabulous and that was my conversion of hater to fan :drama:. Besides I thought he was very handsome, I felt like betraying to Dai :rofl:.
Haha, that is awesome! I know what you mean feeling like you have betrayed Dai. I have this same dynamic with Patrick and Javi and hate when they have to compete against each other....

VarBar

I love Patrick's skating. But the biggest issue, at least from where I sit, is that (at least in the past) Patrick received big PCS numbers in areas other than skating skills, when he skated programs with multiple falls and other big flaws..

Was the controversy about him scoring too high on the second mark for the mistakes he made or about him winning in spite of those mistakes? Patrick at last year's Worlds didn't skate any better in the long program than he did in 2013, judging by his score. He actually scored like three points less on TES in Boston but, believe it or not, his PCS was higher by around three points. lol But since he finished 8th in that segment and off the podium overall, I suppose no one questioned his marks? lol

What you say is not true.....I don't want to name names but while Chan was decimated for his falls others were forgiven handily and excused royally. We Chan fans have been treated like the pariahs of the skating boards.

I would give you at least one hundred likes for this post if I could. :respec:

VarBar

Actually regarding his Axel. Patrick himself said the Oleg tweaked it by giving him some suggestions and that improved his hit ratio.

I do know what he said, Emdee, trying various techniques with Oleg, from Mishin's school and other schools that I can't remember right now to improve his success rate but they say that old habits die hard and they can come back to haunt you at the worst moment - like the short program. But there's no denying Patrick looked very confident and secure on both 3As in the free.
Oh, and Patrick is a good skater. Just so I'm not completely off-topic. :D

Patrick is a good skater? You are too generous, PeterG.;)

screech

I totally agree. It's even more obvious when seen in the arena. There are a few who can come close, but no-one can touch him in that regard. IDK whether it's his early training or some inherent talent, but it is certainly obvious.
It definitely is so obvious in person. Yuzu is praised as having great skating skills as well, but seeing both live at Skate Canada this year, it's like watching Patrick as the SS master, and Yuzu is someone just learning to skate compared to him. It is absolutely breathtaking. I could watch Patrick just do crossovers with how brilliant he is (though I'd rather watch Yuzu jump).

Emdee

It definitely is so obvious in person. Yuzu is praised as having great skating skills as well, but seeing both live at Skate Canada this year, it's like watching Patrick as the SS master, and Yuzu is someone just learning to skate compared to him. It is absolutely breathtaking. I could watch Patrick just do crossovers with how brilliant he is (though I'd rather watch Yuzu jump).
I also love Yuzu but Patrick is the master. I noticed that at Skate Canada too ...I was there as well. I also think that this FS program showcases Patrick's skills so he seems one with the music.

bardtoob

You don't really know what it is like to be a pariah until you have loved the skating of Sale and Pelletier :drama:

Irresistable Apples to Sour Grapes :rofl:

Kwan is the Kween.

Jamie is the rejected lover.

Last edited:

bbkenn

It absolutely baffles me when his skating skills are not acknowledged as some of the best ever seen in this sport. The first time I ever saw Patrick was the novice men's competition at Canadian Championships all those years ago and when I saw him on the warm up, I actually said "What the hell is that??? Who is that and how is he doing that??" The way he literally threw his body into those edges, the lean of his body and the deep knees....I had never seen anything like it before and not since. I know there have been lots of others with stellar skills, obviously, but none compare to Patrick for me. I get emotional watching him. I could easily watch him with no jumps at all and be completely in awe. I think he deserves EVERY SINGLE POINT he gets for PCS.

I watched his Cup of China LP from all the videos, and literally NBC, British Eurosport and CTV or CBC all said the same thing about his incredible skating skills. Made me appreciate his skating even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information