Chantastic....the return of Patrick

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I really do enjoy that long program, did I mention yet that Eric did a great job on the music? He really did, it just flows so well with his skating.

I won't comment on the mistakes that were there.. because I've already gone nuts and let the screws loose enough this week from this event to last me another 20 or 30 years. But even if the scores were still really high, I enjoy this program a lot and think it's very beautiful.

Sylvia

TBD
  • Ep. 6: Patrick Chan/Lynn Rutherford
    Nick McCarvel and icenetwork reporter Lynn Rutherford review last week's Trophée de France and look ahead to this week's Cup of China. Nick also talks with three-time world champion Patrick Chan about his new coaching team, his relationship with training partner Nathan Chen and what it was like collaborating with fellow Canadian skater Eric Radford on his free skate this season.
Link to listen: http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Patrick's phone interview begins ~39-minute mark.

VarBar

Very nice and sensible interview with icenetwork. Really wise of Patrick to not set big goals for himself this season and stay realistic. I agree that landing a clean 4S in competition would be a great achievement for now.

Good luck this weekend, Patrick!

screech

Great skate by Patrick, though I don't necessarily think he should have had all +GOE on that second quad (some even gave him +2s) - it was definitely not a far superior landing on that jump.

I'm still not a fan of the music, but there's no denying that Patrick skates to it beautifully. His 3A were gorgeous. I still give him lots of credit for going for the 4S, though I did notice that he slows down in his preparation for it compared to his other jumps, so it seems like he's not expecting to land it. Hopefully he gets more confidence going there!!

mrinalini

I'm finding him mesmeric this year (especially in the LP) and I usually find Patrick a tad forgettable, so whatever he's doing, it's working. I don't care how many quad lutzes Boyang landed; the difference in pure skating between him and Patrick is just so stark.

Keep it up, Patrick!

Emdee

I think the sameness of the music with minimum ebb and flow allows for few distractions from the purity of his skating.

One can see why Toller said Patrick is so good that it depresses him. He felt his own skills humbled when he saw Patrick skate.

kittysk8ts

I don't necessarily think he should have had all +GOE on that second quad (some even gave him +2s) - it was definitely not a far superior landing on that jump.

I don't disagree with this, but just pointing out that GOE is awarded for several factors; not just the landing. Now, whether or not he deserved to end up with +2 for the jump overall is another argument (which I am not trying to instigate ;))

screech

Watching Marina in the K&C with him is kind of amusing - she almost looks as though she sees it as a gift to be sitting with him (not in a 'he's cocky' kind of way, but in an 'oh my god, I'm the chosen one' kind of way).

He also definitely looks more relaxed in the K&C with her by his side than he had with Kathy.

bardtoob

He also definitely looks more relaxed in the K&C with her by his side than he had with Kathy.

I am certain Marina gives Patrick more concrete feedback in terms of skating than Kathy. Kathy knows dance but Marina knows dance and skating, and Marina is an expert in a skating discipline were edges are arguably more important than in singles.

As a fan, I am pleased he is bravely going in the right direction.

arakwafan2006

Marina Zueva said that she thought that Sergei Grinkov had beautiful hands so I was hoping that she would work on his usual cupped hand position and arms and she has. She and her team were what he needed. She is a master... a Jedi and the team is what he needs. Having worked with Johnny Johns before, i see his hand in the patterns going into the jumps and it's working. Patrick made the right choice. Marina is going to put his strengths on steroids and make him who he can be. I love that he's doing the Quad Sal. He is in a situation with people that believe in him and are dedicated to making him work smart AND hard.

Her vision for who he can be is only going to help him. I love it. Way to go Mr. Chiddy.

VarBar

Woohooo! He did the same thing (also to Jin) last season at 4CC, coming back from 5th place and a large deficit to win.

lol Yes, indeed, this CoC was a déjà vu from last season's 4CC with Patrick skating poorly in the short program but coming back strong in the free skate and winning the competition. You would think it's easier for him to do like eight or nine jump passes than three. lol Hopefully he'll figure out soon enough what it is that almost always prevents him from delivering in the SP and fix the problem because a mediocre short negatively affects the overall impression of the judges and his marks in the free.

I don't know if we should attribute his recent successful 3A attempts to his new coaching team because he did land quite a few really beautiful axels last season as well. I personally will wait a little longer before I can safely say that he has fixed his axel and this jump is now as reliable as his quad toe (remember he missed the 3A in the SP at CoC). But Patrick's finally got a technical coach again after the Kathy intermission and that should boost his confidence and make him more consistent on the jumps.

Never ever had I imagined that one day Patrick would land in the lap of Marina and I feel she hadn't either. lol She has told a Russian reporter that Patrick is too new to her for her to have had time to develop a training strategy for the months to come or decide what it is that he should do differently.

Forgot to say in other posts that I think he has brilliant choreography in the long program and superior to his Chopin medley in terms of transitions. Just my very humble opinion, of course.

Emdee

lol Yes, indeed, this CoC was a déjà vu from last season's 4CC with Patrick skating poorly in the short program but coming back strong in the free skate and winning the competition. You would think it's easier for him to do like eight or nine jump passes than three. lol Hopefully he'll figure out soon enough what it is that almost always prevents him from delivering in the SP and fix the problem because a mediocre short negatively affects the overall impression of the judges and his marks in the free.

I don't know if we should attribute his recent successful 3A attempts to his new coaching team because he did land quite a few really beautiful axels last season as well. I personally will wait a little longer before I can safely say that he has fixed his axel and this jump is now as reliable as his quad toe (remember he missed the 3A in the SP at CoC). But Patrick's finally got a technical coach again after the Kathy intermission and that should boost his confidence and make him more consistent on the jumps.

Never ever had I imagined that one day Patrick would land in the lap of Marina and I feel she hadn't either. lol She has told a Russian reporter that Patrick is too new to her for her to have had time to develop a training strategy for the months to come or decide what it is that he should do differently.

Forgot to say in other posts that I think he has brilliant choreography in the long program and superior to his Chopin medley in terms of transitions. Just my very humble opinion, of course.

Actually regarding his Axel. Patrick himself said the Oleg tweaked it by giving him some suggestions and that improved his hit ratio.

PeterG

barbarafan

Compared to previous skating costumes, which I always thought looked tight and constricting, I actually like the shirt and pants he has worn this year and last.

I think Eric should design something for him to wear..He always looks beautiful and will know what will go with his music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information