Interview with Nina Mozer

VGThuy

Anyone remember the interview with Tatiana Totmianina about how she had to make breakfast for Yagudin a couple times until she got his cheese pancakes just right (syrniki, one of my favorites) and how she has given up asking him to pick up after himself to keep the peace?

I do!

Alez

Anyone remember the interview with Tatiana Totmianina about how she had to make breakfast for Yagudin a couple times until she got his cottage cheese pancakes just right (syrniki, one of my favorites) and how she has given up asking him to pick up after himself to keep the peace?
That's just Yagudin being a Russian redneck with Totmianina. An internal classics of marriage: dirty socks under the bed. It's international, yay.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
That's just Yagudin being a Russian redneck with Totmianina. An internal classics of marriage: dirty socks under the bed. It's international, yay.
An exception to the rule? Other wives are not expected to pick up after their husbands, do house work, etc? Is that what you are saying? :watch:

Coquelicot14

Yes, and then the glorious nineties came and everyone was treated wonderfully and became happy and was not fed any propaganda whatsoever. :rolleyes: Honestly, it often feels like foreigners can't grasp the first thing about Russia and end up resorting to clichés :wall:

This! Thank you for posting this.

Just wanted to add this applies to some pseudo "Russia experts" as well. I'm looking at you IceAlisa.

Tinami Amori

This! Thank you for posting this.

Just wanted to add this applies to some pseudo "Russia experts" as well. I'm looking at you IceAlisa.
IceAlica is not exactly a "pseudo Russian expert"....... She was born in USSR in a major city, and lived there for almost 20 years (i think...).
You two can fight for your opinions or the differences, but "pseudo" just simply not true.....

Coquelicot14

IceAlica is not exactly a "pseudo Russian expert"....... She was born in USSR in a major city, and lived there for almost 20 years (i think...).
You two can fight for your opinions or the differences, but "pseudo" just simply not true.....

Sorry but her posts about the country as a whole seem very ignorant. Hence the "pseudo" expert. Besides wasnt she just writing how American she is...
I'm not saying you can't be both, but she is totally buying into the propaganda.

Tinami Amori

Sorry but her posts about the country as a whole seem very ignorant. Hence the "pseudo" expert. Besides wasnt she just writing how American she is...
I'm not saying you can't be both, but she is totally buying into the propaganda.
I object to the use of the word "pseudes".... IA is not a "false Russian" or "pretending to be Russian"... she was born there and lived there.....

Coquelicot14

I object to the use of the word "pseudes".... IA is not a "false Russian" or "pretending to be Russian"... she was born there and lived there.....

Pseudo expert on Russia. Not pseudo Russian. I have no idea who she is. She said she is American. Why would I call her anything other?

IceAlisa

I was born and raised in the Soviet Union. I maintain ties with major cities in Russia and the city of my birth. But what do I know, I am just a dumb American.

Coquelicot14

I was born and raised in the Soviet Union. I maintain ties with major cities in Russia and the city of my birth. But what do I know, I am just a dumb American.

Then why Americans with no "ties to major Russian cities" show more critical thinking and analysis than you? And you are quoting Slate. LOL

IceAlisa

Then why Americans with no "ties to major Russian cities" show more critical thinking and analysis than you? And you are quoting Slate. LOL
I am quoting Julia Ioffe, you may have heard of her. She is another one of those dumb Americans.

Examples of that superior critical thinking, please.
Which would make you an expert on your childhood memories from the USSR, but hardly Russia of today.
It always blows my mind how dare people who haven't lived in the country for 20 years claim knowing what is going on and being experts on that.

How DARE I? Oh I don't know, I dare to say I know a few things. Live with your mind blown, I guess.

Coquelicot14

Which would make you an expert on your childhood memories from the USSR, but hardly Russia of today.
It always blows my mind how dare people who haven't lived in the country for 20 years claim knowing what is going on and being experts on that.
I am quoting Julia Ioffe, you may have heard of her.

Examples of that superior critical thinking, please.

She must be the person TAHbKA is referring to. Fits the bio to the T.

IceAlisa

Lol. She (Julia) fits the profile. Like you said, critical thinking. ;)
It's called "ambiguous reference," FYI. Oh and also, she-Julia has lived in Moscow since her immigration. Read her bio a bit more closely...:shuffle:

I am still waiting for the learned point-by-point critical analysis of my posts on this thread.

Coquelicot14

Oh and also, she-Julia has lived in Moscow since her immigration. Read her bio a bit more closely.

I am still waiting for the learned point-by-point critical analysis of my posts on this thread.

I'll leave you to that. It's a great exercise of self-discovery.

IceAlisa

I'll leave you to that. It's a great exercise of self-discovery.
Figures. Good at name calling, not much else.

In this country they teach to back up your claims with evidence for said claims to be taken seriously.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Japanfan said:
It was like that for middle-class suburban women in North America after WWII, in the 50s and 60s. To sum up the situation simply without going into it in too much detail, I'll just say that writer a who wrote about women's lives diagnosed them as having "a problem with no name" and valium was the commonly prescribed as the remedy for that affliction.

Then along came the 70s, and the second wave of feminism, and women's rights and choices were slowly extended. Things are by no means perfect here when it comes to women's equality, but it's certainly better than the 50s and 60s in many ways.

You got that right, Sista! :summer: (y)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ6VMLVLWUw

Tinami Amori

Кукулику, Танька, ЛисаАлиса. баста. вырубаем базар. нефига позориться перед иностранцами.

IceAlisa

Кукулику, Танька, ЛисаАлиса. баста. вырубаем базар. нефига позориться перед иностранцами.
Мы тупые пиндосихи. Нам не стыдно. :saint:
That was the royal "we." :glamor: Coquelicot is French for poppy.

Last edited:

rhapsody

When I was a child and travelled to the U.S. I'd get asked where I was from by other children my age. When I told them "Ireland", the standard reply was "What state is that in?" :shuffle:

I was at Euros in Stockholm last year and when people asked me where I was from, I said the US. When they asked specifically where, I said California and they responded with "Isn't that a separate country?"

There are ignorant people everywhere. :rolleyes:

clairecloutier

I was at Euros in Stockholm last year and when people asked me where I was from, I said the US. When they asked specifically where, I said California and they responded with "Isn't that a separate country?"

There are ignorant people everywhere. :rolleyes:

That was my question earlier--do Europeans really have such vast knowledge of the U.S. as some would have us think.... Anyhow, geographical knowledge is obviously a good thing. Yet, I would argue that it's more important to have some knowledge of another country's history, culture, demographics, and economic significance than to know where every city or state is. I can't say I am terribly impressed by the Australian cab driver knowing every U.S. state capital. I suppose it's better to know this information than not know it, but is it actually important or useful knowledge, or is it just something to win trivia games with. I do not know where every city in Germany is, for example, but I know the outline of its history, religious makeup, general topography, current economic significance, a little about its current politics .. Same for other countries. The fact that I struggle to keep straight the exact location of Bonn, Koln, or Frankfurt relative to each other, I don't see as a big concern. But what do I know--I am one of those dumb Americans. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

barbarafan

Thank-you for sharing your knowledge...I try to learn about the people of all countries and the reasons that make them the way they are..good and bad. I for one am Canadian and have never visited Europe or Asia so I am very happy when someone who has lived or visited these countries sheds light on subjects. Amen

lala

I have to STRONGLY disagree with you. But don't have much time to show examples. There is a strong emphasis now in Russian society on "classic family and values". Government provide a "child bearing/mother's fund" which used to be close to $10,000 USD before rate fell. Many talk-shows on main TV channels talk about "Woman's primary function in life is to be Mother and Wife". Big Time Show and business stars (females) talk about their careers but when asked what is their biggest accomplishment in life, compelled to say "Wife and Mother".

Small example from popular TV dating shows, like "Davaj Pozhenimsya" (Let's get Married), most women who are looking for husbands openly claim they want the husband to be the Head of the Family, and be the main bread winner. Some openly say "i only want to worry about house, child, cooking. the man must provide and make important decisions".

Very few women say "I want a career and be equal partner". Some do say it, but the reaction is "you are not marriage material - career and family does not go together".

The fact what women back in Soviet Times were allowed to drive tanks, pour concrete and operate high-cranes is true! But they were also expected to stop at the store, buy groceries, pick up kids, cook dinner, clean the house and wash the clothes, ALL that after they came home from work... operating a crane, or flying a test aircraft.... :D.

I was there in the 60's and 70's and saw it with my own eyes...... women came from work and started house tasks, men read newspapers and watched TV and asked "when is dinner ready'..... I returned in the 1990's....... and it was the same thing, most women even if worked were responsible for household tasks..... :D.... Except! it is true that in a Free Market Economy (if you can call it in Russia as such) more women had an opportunity to start their own businesses, or to advance professionally because of huge shortage of qualified professionals. As much as Russian men were reluctant to higher a woman over a man for a high position, if the woman could do the job better, the business owners simply COULD NOT afford not to higher the best.

And yet it is still difficult and challenging. While men accept a woman in a high-level professional capacity, it's the other women in lower ranks that cause problems. They will let the "professional woman" know that they think something is wrong with her, and will critique her for "working in a man's job, not putting emphasis on family and children". Gosh forbid you don't have children or don't want them at all.... There is an accord across the board - something is wrong with a woman who does not want family and children. In some cases the critique of such choice is worst than for being gay.

Our company in Russia, and many non-private larger companies, have different hours for men and women. Women's work day ends at 17:00 o'clock and men's at 18:00 o'clock, for one purpose only - so women can go home and cook dinners. It is clearly stated, not implied. I am fighting this rule in our directors' meeting, and the men support me! But the female employees do NOT..... they like running home and cooking dinners and WOULD NOT THINK OF telling their husbands to share the tasks. I've been at it since 1990's..... it's 2016.... and they do not change..... :D

Thank you... this is what I wanted to show with Yana Rudkovskaya's story in my poor english. This was my experience, I was surprised..What? She is a workaholic! I read she is a bitch in many Russians eyes, bad wife, who doesn't work. I defended her, but I'm not a fan, I wanted to be fair to her). Plus according to them Plushenko is a henpecked. They told in interveiw if anybody cooks that is Plushenko. Yana cleaned up in the old smaller apartment. But they weren't doing it regularly, of course.

I don't say I'm an expert of Russia.;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information