The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It's not anything official but I heard a rumor (someone tweeted) that Shoma's SP is from Ladies in Lavender (Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra?), and his LP is tango. We'll see.

rayhaneh

It's not anything official but I heard a rumor (someone tweeted) that Shoma's SP is from Ladies in Lavender (Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra?), and his LP is tango. We'll see.

Do you have the link to that tweet? I've been asking around for the source of this rumor (info?) but couldn't find anything

Update: as per Quadruple, Shoma may be skating his first competition of the 2016-17 season at the US Classic (let's just hope if that's the case that we don't have 52 again :D)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Do you have the link to that tweet? I've been asking around for the source of this rumor (info?) but couldn't find anything

Update: as per Quadruple, Shoma may be skating his first competition of the 2016-17 season at the US Classic (let's just hope if that's the case that we don't have 52 again :D)
Seems it was too early (if the tweet was true) for the person to post it on a public space and the person deleted the tweet in several hours. A rumor is a rumor. We have to wait for a while till we'll see an announcement.

I hope Shoma will not overwork during this off season nor he'll try too many quads in spring-summer shows. I really don't like Japanese show organizers let skaters try hard jumps regularly in finale (like quad battles) of their shows. Hope all the best for Shoma in pre-Olys season!

Spun Silver

Love today's avatar, @rosewood.

I wish that Shoma/ program choices would be a little more adventurous but I am sure he will be great in whatever he does. Is it known which choreographer(s) he will work with?

rayhaneh

Love today's avatar, @rosewood.

I wish that Shoma/ program choices would be a little more adventurous but I am sure he will be great in whatever he does. Is it known which choreographer(s) he will work with?

Just in case these are rumored musical choices, and there's nothing certain at this stage. He said at a show that he'll continue working with Higuchi-sensei (I am guessing for both programs?)

Also major news he will premiere a new program at FaoI Sapporo (first weekend of June) -> source here

From reading quickly through it (I leave it to @rosewood to correct me if my understanding is wrong), I think he says it's his most difficult program layout yet, and that he wants to show a different genre altogether from last year's program

The person who takes care of the unofficial Shoma Uno Facebook page said they saw a tweet mentioning that FaoI Sapporo would be broadcasted on a local channel but we don't have confirmation yet

UPDATE: FaoI will be aired on UHB on June 5 (info on FaoI official page here)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
J
Also major news he will premiere a new program at FaoI Sapporo (first weekend of June) -> source here
Excerpts from the interview with Shoma in the article:
Re Sapporo show: "I'll make a debut of my program for next season [in Fantasy on Ice in Sapporo show]. I'll skate at my full force."
Re change in feeling: "Since it was my debut season in the senior field, in the beginning of this past season I just wished to show good performances. But in the second half of the season I came to have a much stronger feeling that I don't want to lose in competitions."
Re new program:"I'm working on the most difficult layout that I can do at this point. I want to show a performance of a different genre from this past season." *The writer of the article says there is a possibility that he'll not attempt a 4F in Sapporo show since his 4F is still at the stage of adjustment.
Re Sapporo: "I wish I'll enjoy delicious foods this time." *He's visited there twice. All of the visits were for the nationals. So he just went back and forth between hotels and rinks.

Fantasy on Ice Sapporo show will take place from June 3 to 5. We need to follow this show! :cheer:
It will be aired on June 5 on BS Asahi. :watch:

rayhaneh

Now it's confirmed on his official site:
http://www.shoma-uno.com/info/
SP: Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra
FS: Buenos Aires Hora Cero / Balada para un loco, (arranged version)
Choreographer is not mentioned.

He also said he's taking uni classes and actually taking rest days now bless him (reminder: in a tv interview with Daisuke Takahashi in March he said he trained 7 days a week at the time and that he was ok as long as he slept enough :wall:)

I am a bit perplexed by the music choices but all rests now on the choreo (tbf I was perplexed by Turandot too when it was announced and it became such a great vehicle for him and the right program at that point in time)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma skated his new LP in Fantasy on Ice today. According to this tweet today's his layout was 4F(pop?) 4T 3S / 3A 3F 3Lo 3A kantilever into 3S. A couple of other people reported his 3A (first one) was so much impressive since it was done during silence between two music cuts.

ETA:
His LP had a female vocal in the second half. He was in a red shirt and black pants.

Last edited:

loretta007

There is a similar vibe to his other programs in the past seasons. Not sure if that's a good thing. I really hope he will try out with other choreographers though.

arakwafan2006

I am trying to figure out why i'm so "blah" about his skating. People compare him to Dai which does not help as I don't think ANYONE should be compared to that guy. I'm just not with it. There is NOTHING wrong with his skating... it's marvelous. I think i'm just not keep on the choreography. Something's missing for me... He's got it all though which normally makes me a fan. There's something though that just makes me click on anything else but him.

kittyjake5

^ Does it really matter that your are not a fan of Shoma? Just keep on clicking on anything else but him and your problem is solved.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Wei Xiong's article on GS:
In past season, besides the quad toe and quad flip he already landed in competitions, Uno was observed doing quad Salchows and quad loops in practice sessions.

“For next season, I want to try other types of quads,” he offered, “but as of now, the landing rate of my quad loop is not as good as my flip. Maybe I will do the Salchow, I haven’t decided yet.”
Besides improving technically, Uno also aims to improve his artistry. He chose “Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra” for his new short program and selected music from “Buenos Aires Hora Cero” and “Balada para un loco” for the long program.

“During the off-season, I will spend extra efforts on my performing and skating in training,” said Uno. “I hope that when the new season starts, I can make improvement in these areas.”

MAXSwagg

I am trying to figure out why i'm so "blah" about his skating. People compare him to Dai which does not help as I don't think ANYONE should be compared to that guy. I'm just not with it. There is NOTHING wrong with his skating... it's marvelous. I think i'm just not keep on the choreography. Something's missing for me... He's got it all though which normally makes me a fan. There's something though that just makes me click on anything else but him.

I like him very much but the only "Dai" I get from him is occasionally in his basic skating. Everything else is, IMO, the antithesis of Dai. Really his interpretation is more akin to Patrick in that there's no real "performance," visible changes in emotion in regards to his facial expression...

arakwafan2006

I like him very much but the only "Dai" I get from him is occasionally in his basic skating. Everything else is, IMO, the antithesis of Dai. Really his interpretation is more akin to Patrick in that there's no real "performance," visible changes in emotion in regards to his facial expression...

The big broad stroking that Uno does and the constant tension you see through his body where it's fully stretched out, that's all the Dai I see. The trouble with emulating another's style is that every year you portray yourself as them it's another year of you having no clue who YOU are. Now that Yuzuru has had a funeral for his Johnny Weir style, he's now an immaculate skater.

Shims is not in a bad place. He is great technically and he's also very young. He's got a lot of time to become great. Self awareness and interpretation have to be shaped and nurtured. Going through the motions isn't enough. It's there just needs some help. An acting coach would take him to the next level

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Copying my post from Japanese news thread in GSD:
Shoma updated his official site with a message that he polished his LP just after finishing shows and then left Japan for training in the US. He stays there until the beginning of July. He says he works on strengthening his jumps as well as skating skills, dancing and ballet dancing in different ways from his usual daily training. I don't know where in the US he's training. Guys, tell me if you happen to see him in a rink somewhere in the US, please. :)

antmanb

Sorry but "facial expression" is just BS in a sport where no-one beyond the first two rows can actually make out that level of detail. Everyone was on their feet at the end of Shoma's LP at the GPF in Barcelona because of the emotion he conveyed in his skating and with the expression from his body.

MAXSwagg

Sorry but "facial expression" is just BS in a sport where no-one beyond the first two rows can actually make out that level of detail. Everyone was on their feet at the end of Shoma's LP at the GPF in Barcelona because of the emotion he conveyed in his skating and with the expression from his body.

No.

MAXSwagg

About as well reasoned as you usual arguments :rolleyes:

In your mind, who cares if skaters emote or interpret with their faces at all. I never said he (or Patrick, for that matter) should use his face more. I said I don't understand the Dai comparisons because, unlike Shoma, Dai DID use his face which in my opinion contributes to his unmatched performance and interpretive ability even to this day. It was specifically about the comparison. Unlike you, who is saying that skaters who have authentic facial expression and interpretation should just cut it out because it's pointless. You probably still don't even get it. Also, as far as I'm concerned, there's not that much authenticity to Shoma's interpretation. Several instances his season, particularly at 4CC and Worlds, where the timing was off in terms of his movements...but there was no change whatsoever in him executing those movements, even though he was behind the music! That shows that at this point he's just doing the choreography just to do it. Of course, getting away from that comes with experience.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I found the program a little empty in the first half, and the vioce jarring in the second half. However, this is NOT a generic tango program, and i can't wait to see how it gets with more milage.

I was surprised last year how well he as a very young skater could carry Placido Dominico, so I have confidence in his presentation skills

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information