The Satoko Miyahara fan thread - "This is a start in the true sense"

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I don't see Miyahara medaling again at Worlds to be honest. You see this all the time the year after the Olympics when the field is weak skaters winning medals and never reaching those heights again. Tons of skaters had to bomb for her to medal.

She is extremely young. She might not medal again right away but you have to assume she will improve a ton and medal again someday.

chapis

I don't see Miyahara medaling again at Worlds to be honest. You see this all the time the year after the Olympics when the field is weak skaters winning medals and never reaching those heights again. Tons of skaters had to bomb for her to medal.

You know, even if she dont get another medal she already did something other figure skaters can only dream (ex. Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, they would be super happy with only a bronze, let alone silver). And she is only 17 yo.

angelflies

Banned Member

Yes sure. A 17 year old girl who went from 8th at Junior worlds to 2nd at worlds in only 2 years, who is very hard working and talented, and who has little competition to get out of her country currently, will not medal ever again. Say hi to the tooth fairy.

Cachoo

Well I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way as I mean it as a compliment. Recently I was watching some Cambodian folk dancers on tv and they made me think of Satoko. Her hands are never in their more extreme positions but there is something delicate about some of her arm movements that reminds me of the Cambodians.

alexikeguchi

Satoko's free from WTT was exquisite and a new season's best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_5eVYx9HU

She had just a downgrade on the flip, but it seems to me her jumps have gotten much less questionable over the course of this season, and her musicality is as beautiful as ever. I will miss this program for her and hope that she might revisit it in a few years when she can give it even a more mature interpretation, much as Mao did with Chopin.

cohkaix

Based on a tweet of Goto Taisuke, a sports reporter of Asashi news, Satoko said in the post WTT interview that for the next season, she'll continue to work both choreographers of this season (but will have the SP by Tom Dickson and FS by Lori).

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I read somewhere (maybe IN article) Jeffrey B choreographed an ex program for her. Maybe she'll reveal ex number in THE ICE (or a show earlier than THE ICE), and one of competitive numbers (maybe SP?) in Dreams on Ice. She participates in Kulik's summer camp (for jump techniques) as well as Hamada's group's camp in Colorado (mainly for brush ups) during summer in these years. So I think she'll not skate in as many spring-summer shows as other top Japanese skaters do.

Sylvia

TBD
Satoko Miyahara: ‘I Still Have A Long Way To Go’
By Wei Xiong / Photo © Danielle Earl
http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/06/satoko-miyahara/
Excerpt:
“When I look at the skaters from other countries, they can always get right into the character the second the music starts and show sophisticated emotions in front of the audience,” she observed. “I hope I can also do that.”

To improve the artistry aspect, the will be working with Tom Dickson again on the short program and Lori Nichol for the long.

“I want to skate to a totally different music from this past season,” said Miyahara. “I want to be more polished in my presentation, especially the facial expressions.”

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I love her skating but she really needs to jump and skate alot bigger to get the judges to raise her scores, particularly her PCS. Lots of potential though and excited to see her develop. She already has a world silver under her belt so young.

WanderlustTO

Maybe i missed it, but does anyone know anything about her upcoming programs.

I love her skating but she really needs to jump and skate alot bigger to get the judges to raise her scores, particularly her PCS. Lots of potential though and excited to see her develop. She already has a world silver under her belt so young.

I agree - but the question will be whether she *can* do that - i realize she's still a teenager, but looking at her she looks like someone who will end up being pretty tiny even full grown.

In any event, can't wait to see this upcoming season - and am still happy that my controversial 'bronze' prediction for her at the worlds ended up being an underestimation.

DreamSkates

You know, even if she dont get another medal she already did something other figure skaters can only dream (ex. Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, they would be super happy with only a bronze, let alone silver). And she is only 17 yo.
I would like to see a list of world-level figure skaters whose dream is to win silver at best.

Japanfan

I would like to see a list of world-level figure skaters whose dream is to win silver at best.

Getting on the world podium is a dream for a lot of skaters in the top 5-10. There have been plenty of bronze medalists over the years whose bronze has been golden to them. Lu Chen in '98 at Nagano is the one example that immediately comes to mind. D&D in Canada with their world bronze, Buttle with his Olympic bronze. Johnny Weir was rather over the moon with his world silver.

The list would be quite long, actually.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Nobu never won a medal at Worlds. :wuzrobbed Machida left this sport with one and only Worlds medal which is silver. Silver at Worlds is quite a big breakthrough for skaters.

Jun Y

Dream is cheap. Anybody can dream of being an OGM (so can I). Actually achieving world silver medal is an entirely different thing.

Sylvia

TBD

DreamSkates

Getting on the world podium is a dream for a lot of skaters in the top 5-10. There have been plenty of bronze medalists over the years whose bronze has been golden to them. Lu Chen in '98 at Nagano is the one example that immediately comes to mind. D&D in Canada with their world bronze, Buttle with his Olympic bronze. Johnny Weir was rather over the moon with his world silver.

The list would be quite long, actually.
True but there may be an acceptance of what is accomplished rather than an eternal joy about it. Kwan never won olympic gold which was a huge disappointment for her but of course that would be different given she had won everything else multiple times.

Sylvia

TBD
... Satoko Miyahara did not debut a new competitive program but instead performed her exhibition number, "Pennies from Heaven," choreographed by Jeffrey Buttle, for the first time. Using a red umbrella as a prop, she looked light, energetic and lovely on the ice, although she did not push herself technically, performing just a triple toe and a double axel. Nevertheless, in her post-show interview, she revealed that her new short program will be "Fire Dance," choreographed by Tom Dickson, while her free skate will be Liszt's "Un Sospiro," choreographed by Lori Nichol.
Source is the "Dreams on Ice 2015" recap article: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...pher-announcements.95402/page-16#post-4536119

burntBREAD

!Two relatively rare pieces of music? If anyone wants to see these pieces in action, I can think of two programs that have used Satoko's new music.

While "Fire Dance" is a more generic name, Akiko Suzuki's 2009-10 SP was set to music called "Fire Dance", and Mirai Nagasu used "Un Sospiro" as the first half of her 10-11 SP.

burntBREAD

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Double posting from Japanese news thread in GSD:
The page for team Japan on JSF's official site was updated. I summarize this season's goals of the notable skaters.
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/national/national_list.php?sports_id=2
(my rough translations)
Satoko Miyahara: Second straight win at Japanese Nationals, winning a podium at Wrolds, and winning a spot for GP final.
Satoko is usually very polite and rather silent. But I know she has blue flare inside of herself! She is one of the gutsiest athletes on team Japan. :kickass: :cheer2:

It seems Lambiel choreographed a new ex program for Satoko recently. Maybe she'll skate it at THE ICE at the end of this month.
Spent the week in Kansai University ice rink working on a new exhibition program with the lovely and divine Satoko. Give me the wings!!
https://instagram.com/p/4o5jAcoCa2/

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
People tweeted Satoko skated her new SP to "Fire Dance" at THE ICE yesterday. According to their tweets the music was from "River Dance."
Photos:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKh4mzcUsAAPaml.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKh4m73UYAQ07w1.jpg

She looks great in the photos. Can't wait to see the video.

Double posting from Japanese news thread in GSD
Yoshiko Kobayashi of JSF revealed they send Shoma Uno, Satoko Miyahara and Kanako Murakami to US International Classic which starts from September 16.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKJG6YMUcAAcu4S.jpg

Satoko's scheduled competitions announced so far:
US International Classic, Sept 16-
Japan Open, Oct 3-
Skate America, Oct 22-
NHK Trophy, Nov 27-
Japanese Nationals, Dec 24-

Last edited:

dinakt

HI, rosewood, thank you so much, as always, and could it be you meant Oct. for Japan Open and Skate America?
Looking forward to Satoko's new programs!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Thanx @dinakt. Fixed. :)
I'm expecting her SP aired on Fuji TV's broadcast of THE ICE on July 25 (coming Sunday). BTW people tweeted Ashley skated her new SP yesterday too. Hope we'll see it on the same broadcast as well. :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information