Foods you can't stand

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Personalised service? :eek: Now I don't know if it is me having dirty mind, or if it is something weird going on in your small speciality stores, but when I go to a shop, I choose, pay and leave. I don't do with the owner/shop assistant poetry and we are both aware of our roles, e.g, that he is NOT my doctor! (Nor cheese doctor, because hopefully the cheeses they are selling are healthy and don't need medical intervention.):p
This guy was an expert and clearly enjoyed what he did. He asked food and wine preferences and based on that offered samples of the cheeses. He was always spot on. I still remember how amazing the Corsican sheeps milk cheese was that he recommended to me.

Sometimes there is a very good perfume person at Sephora or brand counters that can provide analogous service. None had his passion and thorough knowledge. It was like wand selection at Ollivander's. ;)

I should add that if you prefer to browse on your own, you absolutely can. This is optional.

hanca

Values her privacy
@hanca, I think buttermilk is mostly an American ingredient, from what I've read. No doubt it's found in Europe but I've not seen many Euro baking recipes that call for it.

Yogurt and buttermilk have similar properties in baking and are mostly substitutable. Thus, if you add yogurt as an ingredient in pancakes, the result should be similar to buttermilk pancakes.

Did you mean, though, that you use yogurt as an ingredient in the pancakes, or as a topping?
As a topping. For the butter it is mostly flour, milk and eggs. I have never heard anyone putting anything else in pancakes. Maybe we do different pancakes. Our ones are like crepes.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
What is a blintz?

Heh. Your childhood diet was close to mine except for a few Eastern European add-ons. Cherry blintzes were one of the only good parts of that "cuisine" which included kosher meat salted to drain every drop of blood out. Mmmmmm, shoe leather for dinner!

Just went out to dinner with now-ancient parents and kosher stepsister. Excellent Vietnamese pork. Like you, I don't miss opportunities to compensate for my first twenty years of dull food.

algonquin

Just a suggestion. Maybe it's not prepared the right way? I don't know if you are talking about making it at home or getting it out somewhere.......
no, my family is pretty skilled at preparing salmon, so that is not the issue. Thanks anyway.

Glide2

1.cilantro 2.blue cheese 3.runny eggs 4. eggplant (tastes fishy. I love to grow them in my garden. Little white eggplant fruits look whimsically like -you'll never guess- an egg growing on a plant. Makes me happy.) 5. the following: oysters, mussels, snails, caviar, frog legs (restaurants here put them on seafood platters), sardines, anchovies (except in salad dressing), Also, turkey (by the end of the holidays....just no. I only cook this for other people. I don't want to be around turkey again) lamb (never had it, never will) diet coke, lapsang souchong (smells/tastes like tires), rooibos red tea, boiled cabbage on it's own ( better if it's one ingredient in a good soup). When I was in the hospital I declined the boiled cabbage and ham dinner because of the smell, and they kept bringing it back! I had to say no three times!

I like so many things people listed as disliking! I eat avocado, salmon, celery, and hardboiled or scrambled eggs, all the time. My parents used to get hog's head cheese on special occasions. I understood it to be a party food. Never went near it although as a child I enjoyed liver cheese which also isn't cheese. It's closer to bologna. I also used to enjoy liver in boudin. And my late grandmother made awesome duck a l'orange and the best crawfish etoufee.

Freespirit

I am a vegetarian so any kind of meat, poultry, or fish. The thought of eating a dead animal is repulsive. Also, sweet pickles are disgusting.

leesaleesa

Colombia may be different from Argentina, don't you think? Latin America is a big place. :shuffle: @oleada is all coffee in Colombia really that bad? The mind boggles.

Yes, I do realize that Colombia and Argentina are two totally different countries. The mind boggles at your arrogance whenever someone doesn't agree with you.

Just because a country is known for coffee production doesn't mean every resident uses or can afford to use that product.

IceAlisa

Yes, I do realize that Colombia and Argentina are two totally different countries. The mind boggles at your arrogance whenever someone doesn't agree with you.

Just because a country is known for coffee production doesn't mean every resident uses or can afford to use that product.
:huh: Kindly point out where I said every resident uses or can afford to use said product. If not, try and unclench.

I Luv Bulldogs

Is it weird that I like relish on my burgers but can't stand pickles?

Oh, and I can't stand milk and tea mixed together. I have to eat my bowl of cereal and then have my tea.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
Venison is the one food I will not eat. Otherwise...anything goes.

Another thing I don't like is my food done on the grill outside. I just don't like the taste of burnt grilled food.

gk_891

Eggs, milk, most shellfish, lamb, mayo, cheese, most nuts, soy, parsley, potatoes, zucchini.

Susan1

No. I like everything tomato - except for ketchup. (Unless it is mixed with mayo on a burger ala Burger King. Because mayo is all that. :lol:)

I don't like tomato anything, except in sauce. But I always get ketchup and mayo (on the side because they put too much on it themselves) on cheeseburgers - in sports bars or wherever!

I don't like Burger King hamburgers though. I can taste the gritty grill marks. I always get the chicken. Had a fish sandwich years ago that was full of bones and I almost lost it. I'm afraid to try another one.

You can get Big Mac sauce substituted on double cheeseburgers for 25 cents (I think). I've heard it's Thousand Island dressing, which is basically ketchup and mayo..............

Funny, so many people are talking about all these fancy foods (that I either have never heard of or wouldn't ever try) and I'm talking about fast food. purple skates brought up Burger King first! :)

ginsengtea

Durian is the absolute worst. I had it blended into a smoothie once because I was curious and the aftertaste is something akin to rotten onion.

There's also bitter melon which I can't understand why people like. Besides that, Chinese cooking is the greatest!

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Have you tried the home-made stuff made with the Hidden Valley powder? I'm not fond of the bottled dressing, but the home made....:swoon:

(Of course, there's that mayo jumping into my conversation again :lol: )

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I thought about a few more foods, etc. I can't stand at all. I detest the taste of Mayonnaise. I love Miracle Whip, however.

I also cannot and won't ever eat Frog Legs. I watched my dad cook those when I was really young, and saw the legs jump in the skillet. After that, I could never try them. I still refuse to this day.

I do love Fried Oysters and Crawfish with corn and potatoes. It's a tradition here to sprinkle the Crawfish, corn and potatoes with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. It wouldn't be a good ole "Crawfish Boil" without it.

I also refuse to eat Turtle anything ... eggs or soup. I have a friend that loves Turtle eggs. Yuck!!!

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I hate cheese. HATE it. (Except mozzarella.) People look at me like I'm crazy when I say that, but I can't help it. I've hated it ever since I was little.

You should have grown up with me. My mother is allergic to cheese and cooks a variety of dishes without cheese that most would be shocked to see without the ingredient. For examples, she makes herself cheese-less pizza (extra sauce is her go to topping) and veal parmigiana. :lol:

I HATE mashed potatoes. I can't eat baked potato or thick cut french fries either. Nothing is more gag-worthy than mashed potatoes.

Vagabond

Okay, people. I've got to ask.

How do you expect other people to deal with all of these predilections? There are a few posters who have already said that they will eat even foods they can't stand if it's served up by someone else. Does that hold true for everyone? If not, how do you want your hosts to deal with the situation?

IceAlisa

How do you expect other people to deal with all of these predilections? There are a few posters who have already said that they will eat even foods they can't stand if it's served up by someone else. Does that hold true for everyone? If not, how do you want your hosts to deal with the situation?
If anyone in my circle hosts dinner, it would be moi. And that puts me in control :puppet: No one has complained about the lack of chopped liver so far. When I invite people I don't know well, I ask about food allergies and aversions. Lately, most good restaurants have been asking this ahead of time as well.

For the NYE dinner we went to this amazing AMAZING Basque place. And it was prix fixe on which goat cheese was featured. I asked if it would be possible to substitute and they did, with this swoonworthy sheep's milk cheese served with persimmons and something else delicious. I died and went to heaven.

However, if I am invited to dinner and they serve grilled salmon, I would not say a thing, just eat whatever else they had. It's not like I'd die of starvation and certainly wouldn't want to hurt the host's feelings. But I do recommend asking in advance if you want to be super gracious.

once_upon

Better off than 2020

I will ask if there are any food allergies or diet preferences, but after turning myself inside out, countless hours of anxiety, trying to provide a menu selection that gives everyone something to eat and still not able to please them I won't do that ever again.

Life threatening allergies, I will accommodate. I don't want an anaphylaxis reaction, if I can prevent it. But if someone is vegan or doesn't like fish or...I expect them to be adult enough to find something they can eat.

If I am invited to a dinner or hosted event, I can generally find something that I like. If I absolutely cannot, then I would socialize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information