Foods you can't stand

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I will be happy to visit both the salmon and chocolate tables (afraid, though, that I will be sipping my Diet Coke - unless Angie/Simone brings some sweet tea from the Bayou State - and some beignets as well).

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Are you sure you're not talking about the Barium suspension drink that is flavored and is a creamy milkshake consistency? Because anytime I've had Go-Lightly it's like drinking a super gross version of Lemon/Lime Gatorade. (The barium drinks are super gross too btw)
Barium tastes lik chalk pure chalk. The go-lightly stuff is glycerin based stuff that often is mixed in lemon/lime flavoring. The glycerin consistency is heavy slimy in nature and milk, particularly whole milk or cream has that same slimy consistency to my taste buds. Both induce nausea and vomiting for me.

We had a NYE dinner/pot luck with friends. I'm stuffed and can't lie down because of reflux. And had 3/4 bottle of wine.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Cheese Plus! I need to go back there asap.
Years ago there was an old owner when the store was called something else, he'd give you personal service like no other. And tell you all about the cheeses from around the world. Amazing. A few minutes of conversation and you've dropped $50 on cheese. :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
Years ago there was an old owner when the store was called something else, he'd give you personal service like no other. And tell you all about the cheeses from around the world. Amazing. A few minutes of conversation and you've dropped $50 on cheese. :lol:
What sort of services are you usually getting from the store owners when you go there to buy cheese? (I am confused!)

Japanfan

It makes it more fruity and sweeter. Wine is lovely but there needs to be variety. So sangria is like a different version of wine. When you feel like living healthy and giving yourself the extra vitamins!

It's dimensions of flavour, added by fruit (peaches and strawberries are divine), citrus and Grand Marnier:nopryde:

And it's fancier and more festive than just plain wine.

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
What sort of services are you usually getting from the store owners when you go there to buy cheese? (I am confused!)
If it's a big enough store--none! You are on your own. In small specialty stores or boutiques you may still get personalized service if you want it. But this guy went above and beyond. He was like a poet of cheese (but not a cheesy poet) :p or a cheese doctor.

hanca

Values her privacy
If it's a big enough store--none! You are on your own. In small specialty stores or boutiques you may still get personalized service if you want it. But this guy went above and beyond. He was like a poet of cheese (but not a cheesy poet) :p or a cheese doctor.
Personalised service? :eek: Now I don't know if it is me having dirty mind, or if it is something weird going on in your small speciality stores, but when I go to a shop, I choose, pay and leave. I don't do with the owner/shop assistant poetry and we are both aware of our roles, e.g, that he is NOT my doctor! (Nor cheese doctor, because hopefully the cheeses they are selling are healthy and don't need medical intervention.):p

Susan1

Salmon. Yes, yes, yes, I know that it is good for me. I wish that I did like it, but I just can't stand it.

Just a suggestion. Maybe it's not prepared the right way? I don't know if you are talking about making it at home or getting it out somewhere.......

I tried it a Red Lobster and it was just a dry chunk. At Lonestar Steakhouse, it is marinated in bourbon and the sauce is on the plate. Yum. They also USED TO have it at Long John Silver in a sauce over rice. I used to go there once a week for lunch.

I don't know why I am promoting salmon!!!

smurfy

I admit I don't understand sangria. Why not just drink wine?
For a party - in a punch bowl, especially if red wine sangria - with the fruit absorbing the wine and color - it looks really pretty and festive!
It also makes it easier if you have a party of a certain size - people asking for specific wine - makes it easier to not have to accomodate everyone.

Ania

Personalised service? :eek: Now I don't know if it is me having dirty mind, or if it is something weird going on in your small speciality stores, but when I go to a shop, I choose, pay and leave. I don't do with the owner/shop assistant poetry and we are both aware of our roles, e.g, that he is NOT my doctor! (Nor cheese doctor, because hopefully the cheeses they are selling are healthy and don't need medical intervention.):p

I'm surprised you find this strange, but here are some examples of personalized service I got in a small store: placing an order for something l like that is out of stock, calling to let me know when the items I need are in stock, putting aside something that is low in stock for me to pick up later (without a request on my part, because the owner knew the item was one of my staples), giving a detailed explanation about the origin of the item, method of preparation, etc. I must say that these examples are all from a small wine store :) IceAlisa can chime in with her own examples but I can easily imagine similar personalized service in a cheese store.

And to contribute to the main topic of this thread: There are hardly any foods I dislike. I can only think of one at the moment - this vile drink we were made to drink at child care in Soviet Russia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissel That stuff is revolting. The top of my likes list: blintzes with caviar or smoked salmon, extra dark chocolate, prosecco, pretty much all veggies with a special shout-out to cauliflower and brussel sprouts, pretty much all fruits, french pastry, cake Napoleon. I'm sure I'm leaving something out. The bottom of my list (will eat if I have to, often to be polite): white chocolate and American sheet cake (I can't pronounce long 'e' in 'sheet' so when I say it, it sounds like 'shit cake' which is actually close to truth for me!)

Last edited:

paskatefan

I can't stand the smell of sauerkraut, yet I'll eat cabbage almost any other way (in salad, cole slaw, etc.)

Not a big fan of mayonnaise, either. I use it sparingly, just to hold tuna fish together, although lately, I'll use creamy horseradish sauce for that purpose instead.

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm surprised you find this strange, but here are some examples of personalized service I got in a small store: placing an order for something l like that is out of stock, calling to let me know when the items I need are in stock, putting aside something that is low in stock for me to pick up later (without a request on my part, because the owner knew the item was one of my staples), giving a detailed explanation about the origin of the item, method of preparation, etc. I must say that these examples are all from a small wine store :) IceAlisa can chime in with her own examples but I can easily imagine similar personalized service in a cheese store.
I was not quite serious...

Kecasyl

Barium tastes lik chalk pure chalk. The go-lightly stuff is glycerin based stuff that often is mixed in lemon/lime flavoring. The glycerin consistency is heavy slimy in nature and milk, particularly whole milk or cream has that same slimy consistency to my taste buds. Both induce nausea and vomiting for me.

We had a NYE dinner/pot luck with friends. I'm stuffed and can't lie down because of reflux. And had 3/4 bottle of wine.

Yeah they both make me gag, I just know that every time I've had to have go-lightly it's just the lemon/lime gatorade consistency nothing creamy. Oh well. :sick:

floridaice

As an adult, I'm the type that will usually try anything once, but like many here MAYO is disgusting, and pickles too. I'll bring some nice grilled Salmon for that table in the corner.

I'm also one that now likes many things I didn't as a child. Greens (lettuces, spinach, turnip & collards etc. -- hated them all at one time) and a lot of fishes, which I now realize was more how my Mother prepared them rather than the fish itself.

One thing I've never developed a taste for is buttermilk -- i cook with it, but can't drink it. My Father loved it, and as a Daddy's girl, I tried to like it, but just couldn't -- it's double yucky - taste (sour) and consistency (kind of thick & slimy to me) . His favorite was to crumble up corn bread in a glass and cover it with buttermilk -- a real Southern US delicacy!

ilovepaydays

As much as I love various Asian cuisines and I enjoy learning how to cook different dishes, I HATE bok choy. Some of you might find this weird considering that I love napa cabbage (and generally enjoy eating other cabbages and greens). I don't know if it's the taste or if it's more of a texture things - the difference in how the bulbs and greens are.

Artemis@BC

Just a suggestion. Maybe it's (salmon) not prepared the right way? I tried it a Red Lobster and it was just a dry chunk. ...

No one should ever, ever judge their tastes in seafood by what they serve at Red Lobster. Seriously. Barely a step up from Filet-o-Fish at McDonalds.

I grew up on fresh seafood. Seriously fresh: caught within a few hours of eating it. When it's that fresh (and of course cooked right) it rarely needs any sauce or flavourings of any kind -- though I did love my dad's smoked salmon, and even better smoked trout.

I'm a vegetarian now but have always said that if I moved back to some place I had access to fresh, local, "clean" seafood, I might very well eat it again.

So ... can I sit at the salmon table for nostalgia's sake? Pretty please? (BTW, pinot grigio / pinot gris is a great wine for salmon.)

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
One thing I've never developed a taste for is buttermilk -- i cook with it, but can't drink it. My Father loved it, and as a Daddy's girl, I tried to like it, but just couldn't -- it's double yucky - taste (sour) and consistency (kind of thick & slimy to me) . His favorite was to crumble up corn bread in a glass and cover it with buttermilk -- a real Southern US delicacy!

The only thing buttermilk is good for is making Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (also using Hellman's Mayo, of course).

hanca

Values her privacy
Oh no. buttermilk is a must for yummy pancakes and waffles. it's also to be found in many cake recipes.

If you bake, you always have buttermilk in the fridge. ;)
I make pancakes frequently but we use jam or Nutella with whipped cream, or yoghurt, or ice cream. No buttermilk.

Susan1

No one should ever, ever judge their tastes in seafood by what they serve at Red Lobster. Seriously. Barely a step up from Filet-o-Fish at McDonalds.

I grew up on fresh seafood. Seriously fresh: caught within a few hours of eating it. When it's that fresh (and of course cooked right) it rarely needs any sauce or flavourings of any kind -- though I did love my dad's smoked salmon, and even better smoked trout.

I'm a vegetarian now but have always said that if I moved back to some place I had access to fresh, local, "clean" seafood, I might very well eat it again.

So ... can I sit at the salmon table for nostalgia's sake? Pretty please? (BTW, pinot grigio / pinot gris is a great wine for salmon.)

Red Lobster - I've always loved their mild fishes and popcorn shrimp. (and cheddar bay biscuits and cole slaw and baked potatoes.......) Boyfriend had the dry salmon. I tried it, no taste. Maybe I just like the sauces. I've never had smoked salmon, or even salmon patties.

Tried crab legs - no. Clam chowder - no. Unbreaded/unfried shrimp - no.

Used to love McDonald's Filet-O-Fish. :) Never would have put cheese on any other kind of seafood. For some reason it's gotten too salty anymore.

The only time I've ever had fresh seafood was at Virginia Beach. Beer battered shrimp one night and some kind of baked fish the other night (25 years ago....). Whether they were FRESH caught, who knows. Anything would have tasted good sitting in a restaurant next to the ocean!

Getting very hungry................

clairecloutier

@hanca, I think buttermilk is mostly an American ingredient, from what I've read. No doubt it's found in Europe but I've not seen many Euro baking recipes that call for it.

Yogurt and buttermilk have similar properties in baking and are mostly substitutable. Thus, if you add yogurt as an ingredient in pancakes, the result should be similar to buttermilk pancakes.

Did you mean, though, that you use yogurt as an ingredient in the pancakes, or as a topping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information