Foods you can't stand

skateboy

I mean... foods you can't bear to put in your mouth at all. Mine are...

Raw tomatoes. I seriously want to throw up if if I put one in my mouth, even if it's in a sandwich or burger. A seriously violent reaction. (I'm fine with them pureed, or in a sauce.)

The other is eggs. I can sort of deal with them in an omelet or really well scrambled, but only if I absolutely have to. The thought of eating hard boiled or runny makes me want to remove my own stomach with a knife and fork.

So, what are your hated foods?

Last edited:

Japanfan

Regular mustard, the kind people put on hot dogs and hamburgers. I can tolerate Dijon if it's mixed into a sauce or salad dressing.

And headcheese - who eats that stuff, any way? IIRC it is popular in some Eastern European countries.

clairecloutier

Eggs. I don't like either the flavor or texture of them. I put them in baked goods, where you can't taste them, but that's it. I have not eaten an egg, in any form other than baked goods, in about 30 years. (Same goes for omelets, flans, crime brûlée, etc.).

Protein sources in general are a little iffy for me--I don't like any kind of dark or organ meats, some shellfish, and even some fish such as salmon/bluefish. guess I'm not a very adventurous eater. :) I do love all vegetables, beans, and dairy, though.

emason

Eggs: I will eat a scrambled egg, or occasionally some egg salad, IF I have made it myself and doctored it up so I really can't taste the egg. I will have hidden eggs in baked goods or puddings, etc., but a fried egg, a poached egg, a soft-boiled egg? A 1,000 times no.

Organ meats: Take your fried liver and onions or your chopped chicken livers and move along, please.

flyingsit

Mashed potatoes. They honestly make me gag. Anything with that same texture does.

I also despise spinach, other "greens", all bell peppers... basically I have an overdeveloped bitterness sensitivity so a lot of things read as bitter to me and I hate bitter!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Wow. I love cheese, chicken liver, eggs, mashed potatoes, spinach, garlic and cilantro. None of you are invited for dinner. :)

But I do hate cottage cheese, both the taste and the texture. And calamari if it isn't fried. So rubbery and it reminds me of what the original squid looked like. Yuck.

cygnus

Seafood in any form (apart from a few white fish ie "fish and chips" kind of fish.) Also beets- I don't want my veggies bleeding on my plate. Organ meats of any sort- liver makes me gag.

PDilemma

Brussel sprouts. Oysters. Cottage Cheese. Won't touch any of those.

I also really don't like bacon. I will eat stuff with a little bacon in it, but I will not eat a strip of bacon by itself. Apparently, this is incredibly weird in our now bacon-obsessed country (is that the whole country or a Midwestern thing?).

vesperholly

Runny egg yolk tastes like wet dust. I also hate eggplant, which always tastes and smells bitter and rotten to me, no matter how fresh or nicely prepared it is.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Mayonnaise. Just. Uck.

I can eat greens (like kale or swiss chard) either raw, in small amounts in a soup or blended in my protein shake; I can't just steam up a bunch of greens and then attempt to eat them. Massive gag reflex.

And I haven't eaten pork since I was about 7, but that's for reasons other than distaste.

Cachoo

I used to dread liver and onions night when I was a kid. I still dislike liver, olives, prunes, apricots and the hottest peppers. I don't understand loving heat when it actually disguises the taste of the pepper. I don't like raisins in anything or on their own. The one exception is raisin bread. Golden raisins are okay.

I don't hate cauliflower: It's just so damned boring. I don't understand it's appeal.

quartz

scratching at the light
Vegetables cooked in the old Dutch style - boiled for three days into a slimey sloppy mess of phlegm and mucous. I have no clue how a firm and crunchy vegetable may have become such an evil thing that it must be pulverized, smashed and destroyed in order to be considered "edible".

Last edited:

jadingirl

Peas - I can't stand the taste or texture so of course they are my daughter's favorite vegetable! I love broccoli though so I steam up broccoli and peas for dinner almost every night.

Any liver - organ meats - can't stand the smell and must confess I have never even tried to taste them - the smell is so offputting as it is

Spun Silver

Meat, chicken, fish -- lifelong vegetarian here (although I don't inflict that on my pets; I will pick meat out of my husband's bones... i.e., the bones on his plate :) ... for my dogs and cats). And hard-boiled, fried, or poached eggs creep me out. From the veggie world, sauerkraut, Brussels sprouts, and lima beans top the list.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Cilantro--I've heard it's genetic and the smell of cilantro is to me the smell of gasoline or something like it.

Liver--:scream: A Jew who can't stand chopped liver, that's me. But I am totally fine with fois gras.

Onions that have been boiled like in a soup--I will not eat soup that contains bits of onion floating around. Or sauce. Finely chopped fried shallots are OK. Raw onions are OK. It's the jellyfish-like texture of a cooked onion that grosses me out.

Lamb--too gamey. I've had all kinds of professionals cook it and swear up and down that THEIR lamb is not gamey. Nope. Gamey.

Pork--not for religious reasons, I am not observant, but because I've seen a slide of human muscle riddled with trichinosis in my college biology lab. Haven't touched it since. Totally irrational, I realize but can't help it, some memories just stick with you, vivid as ever. If it's a highly processed pork product so that nothing survives, like pepperoni on a pizza, I may eat it but still, rarely touch it.

Meat, chicken, fish -- lifelong vegetarian here (although I don't inflict that on my pets;
Thank goodness for that. I recall a case in Portland, when a couple forced their kitten to be vegan like them. Geniuses brought a malnourished, dying kitten to the vet, who saved him and didn't give him back to the owners, thankfully. :lynch:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@BlueRidge come and tell us about your hatred of coffee yogurt. No food aversion thread is complete without it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information