All Thing PBS

Susan1

Laura Ingalls Wilder: Prairie to Page (1 hour 23 mins.) was featured on AMERICAN MASTERS last night and can be watched online through Jan. 27, 2021:
Somebody let me know when that is on again, please. I don't watch PBS unless I know something is going to be on - like Finding Your Roots, that I have scheduled in my DVR. I always get stuck being interested in something during the endless pledge drives, so I have to record it because there are more commercials than program.

Did I ever mention that I worked a pledge drive at the Dayton PBS station back in the day? Another secretary's husband was in charge of volunteers for our company and she asked me if I wanted to go. We got to eat and hang out backstage (that's where I met Martin Sheen's brother), then during the pledge part, we answered phones on camera. If the phone wasn't ringing, we had to call each other so it looked like people were calling. And we got free NCR sweatshirts to wear on camera and to keep. I even remember the program - Dr. Who, which I still have never seen. It was on late on Saturday nights. My dad taped the whole thing so I could see myself talking on the phone on t.v.

annie720

Somebody let me know when that is on again, please. I don't watch PBS unless I know something is going to be on - like Finding Your Roots, that I have scheduled in my DVR. I always get stuck being interested in something during the endless pledge drives, so I have to record it because there are more commercials than program.
In my area it's being repeated on Jan 1 and 2. You'll have to check your local station.

Susan1

In my area it's being repeated on Jan 1 and 2. You'll have to check your local station.
Thank you for putting my brain in gear. I searched by Laura and Wilder and Prairie. Nothing. So I searched on the PBS station website, and then on the cable schedule for American Masters. It doesn't say what it's about till you click on the program. I just now recorded it at 3:30 a.m. Saturday. Sheesh. I've read every book by her and about her, including the ones with a million pictures, so this probably will not have any surprises. It just irritated me that one of my "do you remember" pages remarked that it WAS ON last night, not it's going to be on. I saw the Anne of Green Gables thing on the schedule and a Louisa May Alcott thing as I was scrolling too.

Seerek

Looking forward to the new adaptation of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small (seven-part series) debuting this Sunday on MASTERPIECE:

A very enjoyable first 3 episodes thus far.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Our PBS has been showing In Concert at the Hollywood Bowl and I have really been enjoying it. I also got to watch a favorite version of Carousel. I've seen this musical live at least twenty times. But the PBS show from Live at Lincoln Center (NY Philharmonic) is one of the best with Kelli O'Hara and Nathan Gunn as the leads and Tiler Peck dancing the Carousel Ballet (!). It's no longer on the PBS channel or streaming, but it's in DVD and on Broadway HD.

Susan1

I watched the Laura Ingalls Wilder special. I was pretty disappointed. There's been so much great research into her life that the special seemed rather superficial. I really recommend Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser and the original manuscript Pioneer Girl.
I thought it was too much about Rose and her politics.

Erin

Banned Member
I watched the Laura Ingalls Wilder special. I was pretty disappointed. There's been so much great research into her life that the special seemed rather superficial. I really recommend Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser and the original manuscript Pioneer Girl.

I agree those sources are great, and I also really liked John E. Miller’s Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder. But I thought the special still did a good job for an hour and a half TV special of covering the major points. While I didn’t really learn anything new, I still enjoyed the visuals that went along with it and thought they gave fair coverage to multiple viewpoints. In particular, it was fun to see the house at Mansfield again - I had a great trip there a few years ago and it brought back some fond memories, since I couldn't take pictures inside the house!

I thought it was too much about Rose and her politics.

I feel like Rose and her politics had such a huge influence on Laura's books that it would be hard to leave them out. It is kind of interesting to wonder if my love of those books perhaps influenced me into developing some libertarian viewpoints?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information