All Thing PBS

kittyjake5

Yes there are a lot of inaccuracies and they really stray from the truth. Mrs. Skerrett (at least the name was authentic) was was the
queen's dresser for 25 years and was an older women in her 40's and did not have much do to with
Mr. F. other than to tell him what the Queen wishes were for meals.

That said I love the show!

jlai

Question everything
That should have been put in *SPOILER*. Not everyone watches the show right when it aired.

Please remember for next time. I didn't need that information prior to watching the episode.
I remember the spoiler rule was different for Downton Abbey (PBS show). Since the spoiler rule is different for different threads, perhaps I'll refrain from posting in this one.

kittyjake5

I remember the spoiler rule was different for Downton Abbey (PBS show). Since the spoiler rule is different for different threads, perhaps I'll refrain from posting in this one.

I don't recall this thread having a "Spoiler" rule. Maybe I missed something. Please don't stop posting
as there are only a few of us that seem interested in talking about this show.

Japanfan

I don't recall this thread having a "Spoiler" rule. Maybe I missed something.

I never knew there were any spoiler 'rules' - I just thought that noting spoilers was a matter of simple courtesy.

But I could be wrong, in which case I should know and will avoid reading this thread as needed.

Japanfan

Check Amazon:
Keep the Home Fires Burning: A heartwarming wartime saga: Volumes 1-4 (Keep the Home Fires Burning series)
There is another book coming out in November 2019 which continues the story. I read the first 4 as kindle singles but now you can get all 4 volumes together. The first 4 volumes are also available as a paperback. All of these were written by S. Block.

I loved these books and could visualize the characters easily from the series. Highly recommend!

I tried to read the book on which the series was based: 'Jambusters' by Julie Summers.

I couldn't get very far into it. It was non-fiction and detailed the contributions that various women made to the war effort. Nothing wrong with that and certainly a work of value. But, after having been invested in the fictionalized dramatization of the story, I just wanted more of that.

maureenfarone

I tried to read the book on which the series was based: 'Jambusters' by Julie Summers.

I couldn't get very far into it. It was non-fiction and detailed the contributions that various women made to the war effort. Nothing wrong with that and certainly a work of value. But, after having been invested in the fictionalized dramatization of the story, I just wanted more of that.

"Keep the Home Fires Burning" by S. Block is based on the PBS program. It is fiction and the characters from the show come alive in these books. I also tried to read "Jambusters" and did not care for it at all. I could see Pat and the struggles with her creepy husband; the good doctor who is ill himself; the pretty Italian woman who is the school teacher; Frances who now owns the factory after her husband is killed - all of them and I am sure anyone who enjoyed the PBS series will also enjoy these books. I hope you give them a try!

jlai

Question everything
Yes there are a lot of inaccuracies and they really stray from the truth. Mrs. Skerrett (at least the name was authentic) was was the
queen's dresser for 25 years and was an older women in her 40's and did not have much do to with
Mr. F. other than to tell him what the Queen wishes were for meals.

That said I love the show!
THe last episode...

I have taken a few classes in mapmaking, and I confess the last episode holds a special place in my heart, even if it is very likely historically inaccurate.
Let's admit it, VIctoria was not half as attractive as Jenna Coleman!

Japanfan

"Keep the Home Fires Burning" by S. Block is based on the PBS program. It is fiction and the characters from the show come alive in these books. I also tried to read "Jambusters" and did not care for it at all. I could see Pat and the struggles with her creepy husband; the good doctor who is ill himself; the pretty Italian woman who is the school teacher; Frances who now owns the factory after her husband is killed - all of them and I am sure anyone who enjoyed the PBS series will also enjoy these books. I hope you give them a try!

Drats, it's Kindle only. I don't have a Kindle. I suppose at some point I'm going to have overcome my resistance to getting one. I still like hardcover books, especially since I usually read lying down. Flipping pages seems easier than navigating a screen.

maureenfarone

cygnus

THe last episode...

I have taken a few classes in mapmaking, and I confess the last episode holds a special place in my heart, even if it is very likely historically inaccurate.
Let's admit it, VIctoria was not half as attractive as Jenna Coleman!

Actually it's pretty good for accuracy, although I doubt Victoria accompanied him at any point in his pursuits. They fiddled with the timeline a bit, but he was a real person, and the map was real. https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...victoria-john-snow-doctor-cholera-true-story/

jlai

Question everything

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ken Burns next documentary series is about country music & will air on PBS this fall.

*** Ken Burns’ ‘Country Music’ Previewed by Producers, With PBS Airing Set for September :
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/ken-burns-country-music-pbs-premiere-september-1203126693/
Unlike some of Burns’ earlier projects, there’ll be a limited amount of sepia, and an even more limited number of on-screen historians. Only one scholarly author of the country realm was interviewed for the project (Bill Malone). Country breeds its own avid historians among its most thoughtful artists, so most of the talking will be by familiar faces discussing their forebears as well as themselves — among them, the late Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Dwight Yoakam, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Rosanne Cash, Emmylou Harris, Ricky Skaggs, Brenda Lee, Naomi and Wynonna Judd… and, of course, the artist who could give an impromptu lecture on country history in his 16-hour sleep, Marty Stuart.

A.H.Black

I'm the person who started this thread. I hate spoiler rules. If my opinion counts at all -

There are no spoiler rules in this thread.

A.H.Black

Did anyone else catch Great Performances tonight? http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/

I enjoyed it. While the composers were both European and American, the focus was definitely on music loved in the US. I bet the Vienna Philharmonic flute and piccolo players don't get a chance to play Stars and Stripes Forever very often. They seemed to enjoy having the chance to shine.

I did think the Rodeo sounded a bit ponderous. It wasn't quite as bright and sharp as I like to hear it.

Last edited:

emason

I thought the first presentation just with Nadine Garner was great; I liked it far better than the original series.

jlai

Question everything
Just reviving the thread if anyone wants to talk about world on fire or Baptiste

I really like Lois Bennett. I hope she finds some love (it looks like she may)

annie720

Just reviving the thread if anyone wants to talk about world on fire or Baptiste

I really like Lois Bennett. I hope she finds some love (it looks like she may)
dh and I are enjoying Baptiste a lot, but are having trouble remembering the plot details from week to week. Maybe we should have waited until it was over so we could binge watch. Good show!

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I have not watched Baptists, will have to look at it. I watched the first episode of World on Fire and liked it. Has it finished airing? I was planning to binge watch once it finished.

cygnus

I am enjoying World on Fire, but trying not to get too attached to anyone, as I'm sure they're not all going to survive. If later seasons (I'm sure there will be some?) put a character in Auschwitz or another concentration camp I may stop watching though- I don't find such things entertaining.

I really like Lois, and Nancy is interesting. Even Harry's mother is developing a bit into someone more interesting than at first. If Sean Bean survives the first season, that will be a good thing.

Did anyone see the movie The Windermere Children, that aired last month in the Masterpiece timeslot? I thought it was very well done, and I liked that they used Polish actors for most of the children. And I loved the ending, where the actual people it was based on came into view.

jlai

Question everything
I have not watched Baptists, will have to look at it. I watched the first episode of World on Fire and liked it. Has it finished airing? I was planning to binge watch once it finished.
Season finale this Sunday (though I admit I couldn't wait and watched it)

I am enjoying World on Fire, but trying not to get too attached to anyone, as I'm sure they're not all going to survive. If later seasons (I'm sure there will be some?) put a character in Auschwitz or another concentration camp I may stop watching though- I don't find such things entertaining.

I really like Lois, and Nancy is interesting. Even Harry's mother is developing a bit into someone more interesting than at first. If Sean Bean survives the first season, that will be a good thing.

Did anyone see the movie The Windermere Children, that aired last month in the Masterpiece timeslot? I thought it was very well done, and I liked that they used Polish actors for most of the children. And I loved the ending, where the actual people it was based on came into view.

I enjoyed the Windermere Children too.

Re: World on Fire. I think next season may be a bit too soon to kill off any main characters. Usually, don't actors get 'killed' when they don't want to return for the series? (Well, let's hope they all return then, lol)
Having said that, some of the characters may not survive to the end of Battle of Britain and the Blitz. But for story's sake, I hope the leading roles all survive all that, if miraculously

clairecloutier

Wish they would do more episodes for the next season of World on Fire. This first season seemed to go by so quickly & definitely left me wanting more!

I enjoy most of the characters, with my favorites being Douglas (Sean Bean) Rubina (Harry’s mom), Kasia, and Lois.

Lizziebeth

I have enjoyed World on Fire and Baptiste. I ended up watching again because I was kinda sleepy the first time. Is is possible for both series to have another season?

jlai

Question everything
OK, so World on Fire Season 1 over...

I must say, the scenes with Harry and his mom are well done. And we now know more about Nancy. Harry is growing as a person and soldier too.

I know Vernon Hunter is a convenient plot addition to spice up the romance side of things, but I can't help but root for the dude. At first, I thought it is crazy for him to want to do so much for a girl he barely knows. But towards the end, Lois (and us as audience) kind of see the point, with the impending Battle of Britain. Dude is getting his affairs in order like Harry! As he explained it himself, he wants to create kindness and love in a world where evil and killing become normal. And this act of kindness towards the girl he really likes can extend after his death (should he die).
I guess the writers are putting this in to explain all the rushed wartime romances?

A couple of small confusing points: What rank is Vernon Hunter? The BBC narrative describes him as flight lieutenant, but Lois referenced his rank as squadron leader, and if his sleeves are anything to go by, that is a wing commander. BUt I would assume Lois knows the rank of the man courting her, so I guess Vernon steals his uniform from his superior to impress the girl? ( :D ) (Show writers, fact check next time please)

Another: What is the deal with Randy being both Canadian and American (episode 5)? like they made a point of telling us he is Canadian with an American accent.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Laura Ingalls Wilder: Prairie to Page (1 hour 23 mins.) was featured on AMERICAN MASTERS last night and can be watched online through Jan. 27, 2021:

Looking forward to the new adaptation of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small (seven-part series) debuting this Sunday on MASTERPIECE:

annie720

Laura Ingalls Wilder: Prairie to Page (1 hour 23 mins.) was featured on AMERICAN MASTERS last night and can be watched online through Jan. 27, 2021:

Looking forward to the new adaptation of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small (seven-part series) debuting this Sunday on MASTERPIECE:
We watched both the episodes on Laura Ingalls Wilder and Louisa May Alcott last night. They were done in very different styles and we enjoyed them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information