2019-2020 Broadway/Musical/Operetta Rhythm Dance Suggestions

screech

I could definitely see Hubbell and Donohue doing a RD to "A Hard Day's Night" and Piper and Paul doing a RD to "Yellow Submarine"
I could absolutely see that for Piper/Paul, but they brilliantly used The Beatles just a few years ago (and their march section is apparently being turned into a pattern), so unfortunately I don't see them going that route again.

Tootsie just started previews on Broadway (its official opening is at the end of the month). I could see Piper/Paul doing music from that (if it's got good music) with Paul doing a wardrobe change from Michael to Dorothy mid-program. A Beetlejuice musical is officially opening at the end of the month too (that could suit Piper/Paul as well)

Orm Irian

Tootsie just started previews on Broadway (its official opening is at the end of the month). I could see Piper/Paul doing music from that (if it's got good music) with Paul doing a wardrobe change from Michael to Dorothy mid-program. A Beetlejuice musical is officially opening at the end of the month too (that could suit Piper/Paul as well)

There might not be recordings for those musicals released in time for skaters to use them the season if they're that new, unfortunately. Recording is expensive, and a strain on the cast, so most shows don't do one straight away - unless they're massive, instant hits before they even officially open on Broadway a la Hamilton. It would be a shame if there were songs in them that suited the rhythm and nobody could use them, though...

Orm Irian

Speaking of brand-new Broadway productions, I would kill for someone to set the Finnstep to this. There is a recording of it, though not with this amazing cast, which has just opened the show on Broadway...

VGThuy

I just want to say, if a team dares give us Chicago for the millionth time, I hope they just don't do it all cutesy and stuff. They need to understand the darker subtext of the material. If they skate to the song "Roxie", they should know the lyrics:

"Oooh, I'm a star.

And I love the audience. And the audience loves me for
loving them. And I love the audience for loving me. And
we just love each other.

That's because none of us got
enough love in our childhood.

And that's show biz, kid."

Is what that song is really about.

Bonus PCS points if they copy the Gwen Verdon "I love ya honey, I love ya" while miming squeezing her boobs bit when talking about how her mechanic husband makes love to her as if he's fixing a carburetor. Imagine if Lim or Bell or Kirk skated to the part where Roxie explains that she started fooling around, then she started screwing around...which is just fooling around without dinner.

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I just want to say, if a team dares give us Chicago for the millionth time, I hope they just don't do it all cutesy and stuff. They need to understand the darker subtext of the material. If they skate to the song "Roxie", they should know the lyrics:

"Oooh, I'm a star.

And I love the audience. And the audience loves me for
loving them. And I love the audience for loving me. And
we just love each other.

That's because none of us got
enough love in our childhood.

And that's show biz, kid."

Is what that song is really about.

Bonus PCS points if they copy the Gwen Verdon "I love ya honey, I love ya" while miming squeezing her boobs bit when talking about how her mechanic husband makes love to her as if he's fixing a carburetor. Imagine if Lim or Bell or Kirk skated to the part where Roxie explains that she started fooling around, then she started screwing around...which is just fooling around without dinner.

Slightly OT: I will be so pissed if skaters use the movie version of Chicago . I will never forgive Catherine Zeta Jones's "Velma" nor how she ruined the funniest line in the Cell Block Tango with her garbage delivery :mad:

nikjil

I'm not good with rhythms, so I'm not sure anything from these would work, but I will uber any team that skates to music from either Spamalot or Something Rotten. I've always thought more teams should look at Sweet Charity which has a wonderful soundtrack (for a totally depressing musical). Fela has amazing dance music but again, I'm not sure if any of it would work with the rhythm requirements, same for the amazing Once on this Island. There was a Fosse-choreographed non-story musical in the 80s called Dancin that I remember having some wonderful music but I've never been able to find a soundtrack. I don't know if these would be considered musicals, they were really plays with musical interludes but both Warhorse and Metamorphosis had wonderful soundtracks. If you could replicate some of the choreography, Twyla Tharp's Movin' Out did a great job of adapting his music for dance.

VGThuy

I'm not good with rhythms, so I'm not sure anything from these would work, but I will uber any team that skates to music from either Spamalot or Something Rotten. I've always thought more teams should look at Sweet Charity which has a wonderful soundtrack (for a totally depressing musical). Fela has amazing dance music but again, I'm not sure if any of it would work with the rhythm requirements, same for the amazing Once on this Island. There was a Fosse-choreographed non-story musical in the 80s called Dancin that I remember having some wonderful music but I've never been able to find a soundtrack. I don't know if these would be considered musicals, they were really plays with musical interludes but both Warhorse and Metamorphosis had wonderful soundtracks. If you could replicate some of the choreography, Twyla Tharp's Movin' Out did a great job of adapting his music for dance.

I love your suggestions because you really know your shows.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here because... why not? ;)
My list of wanted versus predicted music for many of the Gadbois senior teams next year:

Papadakis and Cizeron:
Want: RD to "The Time Warp" and "Science Fiction Double Feature", FD to Kraftwerk medley
Predict: RD to Beatles covers, FD to selections from two songs by Tove Lo

Fournier Beaudry and Sorensen:
Want: RD to Dancer in the Dark, FD to Requiem for a Dream
Predict: RD to The Last Five Years, FD to "In This Shirt" and "Sign of the Times"

Hubbell and Donohue:
Want: RD to Night at the Roxbury ("Make That Money" and "What Is Love?"), FD to Night at the Roxbury ("Be My Lover," "Beautiful Life," and "This Is Your Night")
Precict: RD to A Star Is Born, FD to Romeo and Juliet (different music but same voiceovers as previous program)

Chock and Bates:
Want: SD to Little Shop of Horrors, FD to selections by Dick Dale and the Deltones
Predict: SD to Mamma Mia!, FD to The Bodyguard

Hawayek and Baker:
Want: RD to "Wig in a Box" and "Midnight Radio" from Hedwig, FD to Oh, Streetcar! episode of The Simpsons
Predict: RD to Pootie Tang, FD to "Malaguena" with vocals

Lauriault and Le Gac:
Want: RD to Spice World, FD to Serge Gainsbourg ("Bonnie and Clyde" and "Je t'aime . . . moi non plus")
Predict: RD to Notre Dame de Paris, FD to Jason Mraz medley

Smart and Diaz:
Want: RD to Book of Mormon, FD to Julie Brown medley ("Cause I'm a Blonde" and "The Homecoming Queen Has Got a Gun"
Know/predict: RD to Grease, FD to Sia medley

Soucisse and Firus:
Want: RD to Avenue Q, FD to "Firestarter" and "Smack My Bitch Up"
Predict: RD to From Justin to Kelly, FD to "Cry Me a River" and "Since U Been Gone" (both acoustic covers by whiny female singer/songwriters"

Lajoie and Lagha:
Want: RD to "Mama I'm a Big Girl Now," FD to "The Blue Notebooks" by Max Richter
Predict: RD to Enchanted, FD to "I'm Only Human" and "Für Elise"

Wang and Liu:
Want: RD to Sister Act, FD to Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
Predict: RD to Annie (2014 version), FD to "Mambo Italiano" and "Bla Bla Bla Cha Cha Cha" (both cover versions)

Fear and Gibson:
Want: RD to Saturday Night Fever, FD to "What a Man" and "Shoop"
Predict: RD to Saturday Night Fever, FD to Village People medley

VGThuy

Can't believe this has only just sprung to mind, but it would be great to see a team set the Finnstep to 'Brotherhood of Man' from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

PERFECT.

It'd be perfect for a sibling team. I'm a partial to the film version with Robert Morse though because I just think it's perfection with his performance and Bob Fosse ghost-choreographing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n_4t7KcJsQ

As I get older and understand office culture and politics more, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying is still completely relevant today and absolutely deserved the Pulitzer Award for Drama. It was an influence for the show Mad Men.

Last edited:

personwhoishere

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information