2019-2020 Broadway/Musical/Operetta Rhythm Dance Suggestions

IloveFS

BLASPHEMY!!! I absolutely HATED the remake. The original is MILES ahead of the remake.

For just plain 'musicals' I'd love to see something like the absolutely horribly amazing Grease 2. Or the awesome That Thing You Do.

And someone mentioned My Fair Lady - that is having a Broadway revival this year as well, so wouldn't be surprised to see it being used (unless the revival fails). It's in previews now and is officially opening mid-April.

There's some new shows opening this year on Broadway that could be successful and have great songs. 'Mean Girls' is in previews and has its official opening in early April. A revival of Carousel is also in previews right now. A try-out for a musical version of Pretty Woman is happening this year, as is a musical version of King Kong

There's a musical with the music of Donna Summer, another with the music of Cher, one with the music of The Go-Gos, one with the music of The Temptations.

And that's not even counting new stuff/revivals that's just in the works (without official dates) that could be hits before 2019/2020:
- Beaches
- Beetlejuice
- Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
- The Bodyguard
- Bombshell (based on the fake musical for the show Smash!)
- Damn Yankees
- Diner (new musical with music by Sheryl Crow)
- Dreamgirls
- Gypsy
- Josephine (about Josephine Baker)
- Kiss Me Kate
- Magic Mike (based, of course, on the movies)
- Piece of My Heart: The Bert Berns Story (based on the songbook of hit-maker Bert Berns)
- Roman Holiday
- Soul Train (based, of course on Don Cornelius)
- Tootsie
- Top Hat (based on the Fred Astaire film)
- A Britney Spears musical
- A Pat Benetar musical

Any one of these new shows or revivals could be absolutely fantastic for skating to. We'll just have to see how it goes!
Dreamgirls would be a great choice for Weaver and Poje!!!!

IloveFS

I'll add my suggestion from the dance thread here.

Chock/Bates need to skate to RENT using the songs for Mimi & Roger's love story.

It would be so awesome!

If any team skates to anything from RENT, I will uber them forever.
I see Piper and Paul skating to RENT.....

clairecloutier

So I apologize for this being off topic, but since there are a lot of theater buffs here, can anyone recommend what they consider the best recording of Fiddler on the Roof?

I have one of the versions of it, I think it's the movie version, but I don't love it because the singer playing Goldie is made to sound like a traditional shrewish housewife. The horrid vocal mannerisms she uses kind of ruin "Sunrise to Sunset" (otherwise a beautiful song). Any recommendations appreciated ....

I don't know if anything in Fiddler would work for next year's FD, probably not I guess. "Le Chaim" is the most uptempo song as I recall.

DustPuppyOI

Anyone up on the new musicals that have come up in the past few years? Anything suitable for this year's Rhythm Dance from the newer Pretty Woman, The Prom, Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, Mean Girls, The Band's Visit, Waitress, Anastasia ;) , Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Kinky Boots, Wicked, Book of Mormon, The Producers, Drowsie Chaperone (it's not that new I guess), Bright Star, Shuffle Along, etc Beetlejuice just opened.

I liked an earlier poster's suggestion for Bandstand (waahhh... it closed too soon) with original music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOSpQZgWJfw

There really are quite a few jukebox musicals with a wide variety, some which I missed earlier: Crazy For You, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, American Idiot :respec:, Movin' Out, Donna Summer The Musical, Jersey Boys, Cher :glamor:, Mamma Mia, Motown, etc.

<blink>THERE WAS A FULL MONTY MUSICAL? :wideeyes:

It's going to be disappointing if people pick the musical "warhorses" but there's really such a wide variety to choose from. Even from the golden age of movie musicals there's Easter Parade, Brigadoon, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... And if Fosse, why not Damn Yankees :EVILLE:? Even Sweet Charity ... nix that... we've had too much Hey, Big Spender :p

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Anyone up on the new musicals that have come up in the past few years? Anything suitable for this year's Rhythm Dance from the newer Pretty Woman, The Prom, Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, Mean Girls, The Band's Visit, Waitress, Anastasia ;) , Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Kinky Boots, Wicked, Book of Mormon, The Producers, Drowsie Chaperone (it's not that new I guess), Bright Star, Shuffle Along, etc Beetlejuice just opened.

I liked an earlier poster's suggestion for Bandstand (waahhh... it closed too soon) with original music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOSpQZgWJfw

There really are quite a few jukebox musicals with a wide variety, some which I missed earlier: Crazy For You, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, American Idiot :respec:, Movin' Out, Donna Summer The Musical, Jersey Boys, Cher :glamor:, Mamma Mia, Motown, etc.

<blink>THERE WAS A FULL MONTY MUSICAL? :wideeyes:

It's going to be disappointing if people pick the musical "warhorses" but there's really such a wide variety to choose from. Even from the golden age of movie musicals there's Easter Parade, Brigadoon, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... And if Fosse, why not Damn Yankees :EVILLE:? Even Sweet Charity ... nix that... we've had too much Hey, Big Spender :p
I was looking up songs that are quickstep rhythms last night and realized that "9 to 5" fits that and Dolly Parton turned the movie into a Broadway musical 10 years ago AND a West End production just opened up this month, so that might be another possibility.

starrynight

It doesn’t just have to be broadway style picks does it?

I’m hoping teams will also choose other kinds of musicals as well.

VGThuy

Film musicals?

I guess I'm confused because lot of film musicals are adaptations of Broadway musicals and cover a wide range of musical genres, and even if they're original film musicals they still borrow from Broadway tradition of storytelling.

screech

So I realized a few days ago that a lot of The Beatles repertoire could be used, since many songs were incorporated into their movies. Some possibilities include:
From "A Hard Day's Night" - A Hard Day's Night, All My Loving, Can't Buy Me Love, She Loves You, Tell Me Why, And I Love Her...
From "Help" - Help!, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket To Ride, The Night Before, From Me To You, You're Going To Lose That Girl...
From "Magical Mystery Tour" - Magical Mystery Tour, The Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus, Hello Goodbye...
From "Yellow Submarine" - Yellow Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, A Day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, All You Need Is Love, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, With A Little Help From My Friends...
From "Let It Be" - Let It Be, Oh Darling, Octopus's Garden, Get Back, Across the Universe, Don't Let Me Down, The Long and Winding Road...

A lot of them don't fit the rhythms, but still - a lot to choose from. "The Who's Tommy" could be interesting too!

I'd love to see some Disney films incorporated. I got in my head yesterday that a team should skate to "I Wan'na Be Like You" from The Jungle Book, but the more swing-like version of the song as done by Robbie Williams and Olly Murs

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So I apologize for this being off topic, but since there are a lot of theater buffs here, can anyone recommend what they consider the best recording of Fiddler on the Roof?

I have one of the versions of it, I think it's the movie version, but I don't love it because the singer playing Goldie is made to sound like a traditional shrewish housewife. The horrid vocal mannerisms she uses kind of ruin "Sunrise to Sunset" (otherwise a beautiful song). Any recommendations appreciated ....

I don't know if anything in Fiddler would work for next year's FD, probably not I guess. "Le Chaim" is the most uptempo song as I recall.

You need the original Broadway score with Zero Mostel. Although Goldie still sounds a bit like a caricature, on the straight songs like Sabbath Prayer she’s good.

And not sure of the rhythm, but Far From The Home I Love seems like it could be danced to.

IloveFS

So I realized a few days ago that a lot of The Beatles repertoire could be used, since many songs were incorporated into their movies. Some possibilities include:
From "A Hard Day's Night" - A Hard Day's Night, All My Loving, Can't Buy Me Love, She Loves You, Tell Me Why, And I Love Her...
From "Help" - Help!, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket To Ride, The Night Before, From Me To You, You're Going To Lose That Girl...
From "Magical Mystery Tour" - Magical Mystery Tour, The Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus, Hello Goodbye...
From "Yellow Submarine" - Yellow Submarine, Eleanor Rigby, A Day in the Life, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, All You Need Is Love, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, With A Little Help From My Friends...
From "Let It Be" - Let It Be, Oh Darling, Octopus's Garden, Get Back, Across the Universe, Don't Let Me Down, The Long and Winding Road...

A lot of them don't fit the rhythms, but still - a lot to choose from. "The Who's Tommy" could be interesting too!

I'd love to see some Disney films incorporated. I got in my head yesterday that a team should skate to "I Wan'na Be Like You" from The Jungle Book, but the more swing-like version of the song as done by Robbie Williams and Olly Murs

I could definitely see Hubbell and Donohue doing a RD to "A Hard Day's Night" and Piper and Paul doing a RD to "Yellow Submarine"

Debbie S

I thought the tech committee said at the meeting at Worlds that movie soundtracks were not allowed, that the music has to come from a musical.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I thought the tech committee said at the meeting at Worlds that movie soundtracks were not allowed, that the music has to come from a musical.

They specify they can't be movie soundtracks (e.g. the Star Wars polka), but they can be parts of movies where music is essential to the story, e.g. the sound of music.
I don't know the Beatles movies mentioned to say in which category they would fall.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
The songs rarely reflect or relate to what’s happening on screen in The Beatles’ films
-particularly Hard Day’s Night, which is more a series of vignettes than an actual narrative film. If Hard Day’s Night qualifies, so does fecking Spice World. :lol:

BUT, music by The Beatles was used to tell a story in Across the Universe. Across the Universe is roughly equivalent to Moulin Rouge, IMO. Moulin Rouge does have more than one original song, unlike Across the Universe which is purely jukebox.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

BUT, music by The Beatles was used to tell a story in Across the Universe. Across the Universe is roughly equivalent to Moulin Rouge. Moulin Rouge has more than one original song, unlike Across the Universe which is purely jukebox.

I was just thinking about Across the Universe the other day and wondering if anyone would use it. It also has the advantage that the songs have different arrangements - its version of 'I wanna hold your hand' is a good example - so they come with fewer copyright issues than original Beatles numbers seem to.

I am now wondering what a Spice Girls Finnstep would sound/look like, though! :D

starrynight

Smart/Diaz have announced that they are using Grease which is originally a film musical.

That’s more what I was meaning. Just something a bit different rather than the standard Broadway jazz hands, tap dancing, brass band kind of choices.

VGThuy

Grease is as Broadway as they come as it started out on Broadway. Broadway doesn't just mean jazz dancing or 1930s style tap dancing. Anyway, maybe more teams should embrace those genres as they have strict timing requirements and force teams to skate on a quick beat and to a rhythm. Lord knows we would like to some teams try to challenge themselves that way.

gkelly

Given that we're in the 21st century now, there have been lots of different styles of music and movement used in stage musicals and operettas over the past 100+ years. Plenty with nothing close to jazz hands or tap dancing.

However, if there is a requirement to do a quickstep to quickstep, Charleston, or swing music, I think we're going to see a lot of choices from musicals written or set during the era when those dances were popular.

In most cases it won't do the skaters any favors to try to fight against the music that the pattern dance is supposed to be danced to or the expected style of that pattern dance. And the rest of the program should at least feel integrated with the pattern dance section.

If they want to do something more out of the box, that's what free dances are for.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Something that's really period, theme, and rhythm appropriate (but also not a warhorse and a bit quirky) is Death Takes a Holiday, particularly "Shimmy Like They Do in Paree".

Sample lyrics:
We'll shake and shimmy, pushing the bounds of taste
Now take your arm and put it around my waist
And glide me on that polished floor
We can't want for more
As we explore how naughty we can be
We'll shimmy like they do in Paree

The cast recording is available on Amazon Music and Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/1p5obXHGltjcYpeIhxh0TB?si=SbMLxbvgT62zdvsNwRREXg

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information