2019-2020 Broadway/Musical/Operetta Rhythm Dance Suggestions

VGThuy

I’m glad as there are some great waltz pieces from Broadway musicals. Really, Broadway is just a location where stage musicals are set. It’s not really a specific genre of music and encompasses so many throughout its history.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I’m glad as there are some great waltz pieces from Broadway musicals. Really, Broadway is just a location where stage musicals are set. It’s not really a specific genre of music and encompasses so many throughout its history.
Same here. The theme seemed incomplete without including the waltz rhythm. I'm pretty excited about this theme - hopefully with so many teams at Gadbois, there will be a variety of musicals/operettas used and not just the same handful of warhorses like MR, POTO, and Les Miz.

mjb52

Now that the season's over I need to go back and check out a bunch of the links in this thread. I would love to see more operetta suggestions!

Orm Irian

Ooooh, if the Waltz has been added then Sibella from Gent's Guide is back in play. Somebody go have some fun with that twisted little love song, please!

I like that they've opened up the range of rhythms somewhat, as it will allow skaters to choose from more eras of musicals instead of being pushed toward the older ones only.

Orm Irian

I've been digging through the musicals on my iPod, and keep having ideas. Not sure if Not Getting Married Today from Company would fit the bpm requirements, but it's an interesting thought for the pattern! And then I got sidetracked into Noel Coward where there are all sorts of options - We All Wear a Green Carnation, Has Anybody Seen Our Ship, etc etc. this is really getting fun and it's just the brainstorming phase, so I really hope the teams go all out with their choices!

And now I'm incredibly sad that no recording was ever released of Dennis Olsen and Heather Begg's phenomenal performance of So Go To Him and Say To Him from Patience because not only does it work for the rhythm but it was just so good!

Finally, I know I keep harping on this, but since waltz rhythms are now allowed: Leaning on a Lamppost/Lambeth Walk program for the Disco Brits? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Orm Irian

I just thought of another one: The Old Gumbie Cat from Cats. The verses are the wrong tempo, but the choruses are spot on.

nimi

I listened through the technical meeting late last night while trying to fall asleep (I'm a bit of an insomniac and I was hoping that 2 hrs of ice dance discussion would be boring enough to put me to sleep...but no such luck! I stayed fully awake the whole duration! Dammit!) and the guy who explained the music requirements pointed out that "swing" also allows for rock'n'roll and related genres for the Finnstep section. I'm not big on My Fair Lady type musicals but I'd happily watch some "rock" quicksteps done to Rocky Horror Picture Show or something like that... But that also made me wonder, will we get a dozen of Bohemian Rhapsody inspired quicksteps? Because they also said something about how they'll accepts films/musicals/etc. where the musical numbers play an important role for storytelling and which feature multiple songs from a singer/songwriter/band, so I guess Bohemian Rhapsody could qualify? (I haven't seen that film, but at it's talked about as music biopic, so...?)

VGThuy

I'm really curious to see what Papadakis/Cizeron do because they tend to do something different when given this type of restriction. Although their tango was pretty traditional, they always add a bit "more". I don't foresee them doing a "straight" Anything Goes or anything. However, if Dean will choreograph their RD or have a major part in constructing it, I can see him wanting to go that route as he seems to like going traditional when it comes to musicals.

jenny12

I hope some teams go the operetta route and they get down with some Gilbert and Sullivan. If they use Lloyd Webber, I know it's not going to happen, but please pick something other than Phantom of the Opera. Maybe use Aspects of Love or something.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Aspects has beautiful music (horrible characters, but beautiful music!). But I don't know if any of the songs would be the right tempo. Maybe "The First Man You Remember"?

IloveFS

Music from the On Your Feet ... Madison Chock and Evan Bates? Weaver and Poje? Guignard and Fabri? Stepanova and Bukin?

(Estefan musical)

Orm Irian

the guy who explained the music requirements pointed out that "swing" also allows for rock'n'roll and related genres for the Finnstep section.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that! That means the Buddy Holly catalogue comes into play too, thanks to the existence of Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story aka the granddaddy of jukebox musicals. That show's uptempo version of 'Oh Boy' would bring the house down.

And now that I think about it, I seem to remember that there was something about not only using music that is part of the storytelling of an operetta/musical, but also wanting the programs themselves to tell a story. Or is my memory playing tricks on me? We'll see when the communication comes out, I guess.

laviemn

And now that I think about it, I seem to remember that there was something about not only using music that is part of the storytelling of an operetta/musical, but also wanting the programs themselves to tell a story. Or is my memory playing tricks on me? We'll see when the communication comes out, I guess.

The committee said they want the music chosen from stage productions/films in which the music/singing/dancing is essential to tell the story, but didn't specify that the ice dancers have to tell that story, or any story, in their programs. They also said they don't have pick all their selectioms from the same stage production/film.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I don't know much about musicals but (speaking for my personal music preferences) it would be great to see something set in the roaring '20s (other than Chicago and the Great Gatsby), in a speakeasy smoky atmosphere. Charleston would fit well there, maybe alongside some jazz.
I also enjoyed the lindy hop RD from P/C in the 16-17 season, and I would like to see more of that.
It will be nice to have these styles fitting some musical storyline and be character driven, I don't think usually these music genres come with much of that in skating, so that may be something different.

Here's a wikipedia list of musicals set in the 20s: Link
Here's a list of swing dancing in movies: Link "Swing!" and "Hellzapoppin" look fun to me.

I also liked that in the ice dance meeting they emphasized musicals don't have to be sung in English. I hope to see something traditional from different countries.

VGThuy

laviemn

I don't know much about musicals but (speaking for my personal music preferences) it would be great to see something set in the roaring '20s (other than Chicago and the Great Gatsby), in a speakeasy smoky atmosphere.

I assumed at least a few teams would pick The Great Gatsby soundtrack until I watched the Tech Committee presentation, but is it eligible? Can it be argued that the music is essential to telling the story even though the main characters don't sing or dance?

Not that I want 5 Great Gatsby RDs, but I want to see a Finnstep to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCY6-EfZfM

I also liked that in the ice dance meeting they emphasized musicals don't have to be sung in English. I hope to see something traditional from different countries.

I'm afraid we'll just get Chicago in 4 different languages.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I assumed at least a few teams would pick The Great Gatsby soundtrack until I watched the Tech Committee presentation, but is it eligible? Can it be argued that the music is essential to telling the story even though the main characters don't sing or dance?

You are right, given the definition provided by the committee I would be not so sure about whether Gatsby fits the criteria.

DustPuppyOI

I'm afraid we'll just get Chicago in 4 different languages.

Or the Disney songbook in multiple languages though kudos to them for releasing movies in multiple languages.

Is someone going to do the Finnstep to Hakuna Matata (did the Zulu dubbed version include the songs?), Under the Sea, or Thank You from Moana in Tahitian?

======

ice-dance.com has a great summary https://www.ice-dance.com/site/notes-from-the-isu-coaches-meeting-in-saitama-japan/

2. Allowed Musicals and/or Operettas
  • A play (on the stage) or a film in which the music, singing and/or dancing play an essential part “to tell the story. (Chicago, Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, The Mikado)
  • “Juke Box Musicals, which is a stage show/film/musical that includes many well-known songs from a particular singer, songwriter, or group (Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys)
3. Not allowed – Doesn’t fit the theme of Musical and/or Operettas
  • Music from movie soundtracks, which are not movie musicals. (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Godfather, Star Wars, James Bond). These are “compilations of music/songs/tracks” and not Musicals or Juke Box Musicals.
  • Singing dialogue and/or singing lyrics that have no recognizable rhythm.
4. Words do not have to be sung in English. Operettas have a variety of language.
5. Musicals can be non-traditional and sung in a different language
(Indian Polka)

======
In terms of newer works, there are the jukebox musicals are Head Over Heels (music from The Go-Go's), SpongeBob SquarePants, Ain't Too Proud to Beg, and Tina: The Musical. Moulin Rouge :D is opening in the next few months after out of town tryout in Boston. Of course there's the recent Mary Poppins Returns.

I'd really love to get exposed to non-Broadway and non-English language musicals and/or operettas. Is there anything in Bollywood that would qualify?

======

Also cross posting again from "The 2nd annual "what music would you suggest to skaters that has not been overused or used (lately) in competition? thread" since it will actually fit here better:

If someone is looking for something off the beaten track (Piper and Gilles?)... I present Shockheaded Peter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOVSp-fYUQc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockheaded_Peter_(musical)

I saw it off Broadway and remembered a father taking his kids out of the theatre even before the first intermission. It's a bit dark.

Music is from the Tiger Lillies "This cult British trio has been described as the forefathers of Brechtian Punk Cabaret. They have a unique sound and style which merges the macabre of pre-warBerlin with the savage edge of punk."
https://www.broadwayworld.com/adela...at-Elder-Hall-University-Of-Adelaide-20190302

Last edited:

VGThuy

This is like my 10th time saying this, but I really want a team to do Here Lies Love the Fatboy Slim/David Byrne musical about Imelda Marcos but not sure what rhythm that electronic/disco-inspired music would fit in.

Orm Irian

I just realised that you could probably get a truly macabre Finnstep out of 'Madame Guilloutine' from The Scarlet Pimpernel, and there are some great pieces in the rest of the score to fill out the rest of a program...

VGThuy

I just read that Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster are set to revive The Music Man for 2019. I think Gilles/Poirier would look perfect as Marian the Librarian and Professor Harold Hill. I actually think Alex Shibutani would be more of a Harold Hill type but Maia cannot play Marian opposite her brother.

screech

I just read that Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster are set to revive The Music Man for 2019. I think Gilles/Poirier would look perfect as Marian the Librarian and Professor Harold Hill. I actually think Alex Shibutani would be more of a Harold Hill type but Maia cannot play Marian opposite her brother.
Unfortunately the revival is actually not set to open until fall of 2020. I don't love Hugh Jackman as a singer, though IMO it'd be hard for anyone to match Robert Preston in the role (apparently even Cary Grant, who was offered the role in the movie version, agreed, having told the studio executives "Not only will I not star in it, if Robert Preston doesn't star in it, I will not see it.") I am interested to see what Sutton Foster will bring to the role, though. She was fantastic in her Tony winning performances in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Anything Goes"
From "The Music Man" I'd love to see a team skate to "Pickalittle (Talk-a-Little)" or the absolutely brilliant "Ya Got Trouble"

I'll continue to say it though until it actually happens, but PLEASE someone skate to Newsies!!! Oooh, or Little Shop of Horrors! Just anything other than Grease, Cabaret (though I'd accept "Don't Tell Mama"), Phantom, Les Miserables, Evita, La La Land, Moulin Rouge, Chicago...

chantilly

There’s also a film revival of West Side Story coming and Guys and Dolls, although likely not going to be released before next season.

Also those who mentioned Queen above, We Will Rock You features all Queen music so no issues there.

Crazy little thing called love might have the correct rhythm.

I know some people are bemoaning this RD next season but as a theatre geek I’m so freaking happy!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I can't see G/P wanting to do Music Man. It's not quirky enough for them.

VGThuy

It may not be quirky, but it allows them a chance to show a whole lot of character, which is also something they like to do.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Unfortunately the revival is actually not set to open until fall of 2020. I don't love Hugh Jackman as a singer, though IMO it'd be hard for anyone to match Robert Preston in the role (apparently even Cary Grant, who was offered the role in the movie version, agreed, having told the studio executives "Not only will I not star in it, if Robert Preston doesn't star in it, I will not see it.") I am interested to see what Sutton Foster will bring to the role, though. She was fantastic in her Tony winning performances in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Anything Goes"
From "The Music Man" I'd love to see a team skate to "Pickalittle (Talk-a-Little)" or the absolutely brilliant "Ya Got Trouble"

I'll continue to say it though until it actually happens, but PLEASE someone skate to Newsies!!! Oooh, or Little Shop of Horrors! Just anything other than Grease, Cabaret (though I'd accept "Don't Tell Mama"), Phantom, Les Miserables, Evita, La La Land, Moulin Rouge, Chicago...

Even if the revival doesn't open until fall 2020, just it being in the news could cause some folks to look into the soundtrack - either the original stage version, the movie, or one of the previous stage revivals. "The Music Man" is one of my favorite shows - I have both the movie and 2000 stage revival soundtracks.

I'd be thoroughly satisfied if teams also stayed away from your list. If teams are set on sticking to Broadway classics then let me offer up "Honey Bun" from "South Pacific" or anything from the Rodgers & Hammerstein catalogue that isn't "The Sound of Music" (which I love, but if you're going to THAT well, well at least do me the favor of choosing "No Way to Stop It" or "How Can Love Survive?").

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information