Yuzuru Hanyu Cheer Thread

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Yuzuru needs to tell his “silly grandma” fans to stop throwing stuffed bears on the ice. This is a grown man with two Olympic gold medals. Not some weird child-man like Michael Jackson. I cheer for for the normal adult man who skates great.

Meoima

Yuzuru needs to tell his “silly grandma” fans to stop throwing stuffed bears on the ice. This is a grown man with two Olympic gold medals. Not some weird child-man like Michael Jackson. I cheer for for the normal adult man who skates great.
The stuffed bears are all sent to the orphanage, hospital, and other charities afterward.

Willin

@Frau Muller Yuzu does. He's made a whole brand out of it. Just because it doesn't play well in the US doesn't mean it doesn't play well in other countries. And frankly, since they're for charity it does play well in the US.

He's not the only one who does this. Jason Brown does. Many skaters before them have collected teddy bears to give to charities well into their 20s. They're very comforting and therapeutic for kids in stressful situations. If you're complaining about charitable individuals that help out kids you must really have an easy life.

Sylvia

TBD

Yoa

Silly 24-year-old grandma here. So figure skating age also applies to fans of FS :eek: I think I fit more into aunt category then. And what was Korea thinking? Giving "adult" men plushies instead of flowers during Olympics :rolleyes:

Thanks for this post. Now I am sure I will buy more plushies for Helsinki than I planned ;) I need to buy "GOAT" plushie too.

Meoima

Q&A after Autumn Classic 2018, 22 September 2018
Part 1: http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/178372110266/qa-after-autumn-classic-2018-22-september-2018
Q: What were the takeaways from this competition?

A: What I thought was good about entering this competition is that as expected my feelings of wanting to win have become very strong. After the (PyeongChang) Olympics ended my emotions had relaxed slightly and part of that had remained in me, but this has really lit a fire. From my heart I want to be become even stronger.

Right now it is such that there is only wanting to win. As I am really full of feelings of frustration and regret. Perhaps that is most like myself. Honestly I want to practice to the extent that I can tell myself that I have worked hard.

Part 2: http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/178488564636/qa-after-autumn-classic-2018-22-september-2018

Q: You have given the world a lot of happiness and moved many people. During the ice shows, you touched upon having had dark periods. What exactly had happened?

A: Well, there was the time when I got injured and had to be away from skating, and as expected it was a painful period. After all as I very strongly feel that skating is an enjoyable time in my life, a period like that was the most painful.

Last edited:

Meoima

Choreographer of Yuzu’s short programs, Jeffrey Buttle’s media day interview.
“I competed against Johnny Weir — who skated to it when we competed against each other, many many many many years ago. But I love the piece of music and I love that Yuzu had the passion to bring that forward.”
“And for him, Autumn is sort of a time of the year for reflection and about looking back. Almost a time of nostalgia? And I think it was so appropriate given what he accomplished and everything that happened last year. Choreography itself begins with… for me when I think of nostalgia, I think of looking through an old family photo album, so the very first movement is him opening that album.”
Read here: https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/178646866659/jeffrey-buttle-interview-yh-2018-19-media-day

Tracy Wilson’s media day interview.
Because Yuzuru is Yuzuru. Although he’s saying “I’m released from pressure” right now, after a few months, he might just go back to how he was. He is someone who constantly aims upward. Anyway, let’s enjoy the current while we watch over him.
Read here: https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/post/178608563159/tracy-wilson-interview-yh-2018-19-media-day

Last edited:

Meoima

An interview with Yuzuru Hanyu on the 2018 Winter Olympics. From https://yukirin1408.tumblr.com/post/178948594643/pg-interview-the-pyeongchang-olympics
The moment I got on the podium is when I felt “Right now, I am the most free.” In the world of sports where results are everything, I was able to prove that I had done my best up until then. Even if nothing was said, by being in first and by giving the best performance, it felt like I was standing in a territory that wouldn’t be invaded by anyone. I felt that as “freedom” inside myself, and it was a very happy moment.

Meoima

— So then, about the Quad Axel, how does it feel currently?
Right in the middle of working on it!
— (Laughs) Two-foot landing…? Or fully rotating…?
I — am no good at two-foot so… If I could land two-foot, I think I would be round though (laughs). It’s a little frustrating. But, if I did that, it would end up a cheap jump, so I’m thinking I want to go forward with the Axel aiming for quality beyond my Triple Axel.
fROM https://wherespacepooh.tumblr.com/p...re-skating-life/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Meoima

Some Notes about Choreography of “Origin”

In the 11-min interview, Shae said “It’s almost like he’s touching somebody’s back and feeling what for the first time. It’s like a child for the first time when you touch them. And this is a human thing! Touch! That makes you feel alive and makes you feel loved!” (Oh, that is, in the second half, just before he entered Ina Bauer. He was going to 3A from there, certainly.)

Read more: https://muffinlorando.tumblr.com/post/178525142162/some-notes-about-choreography-of-origin

Meoima

“I remember very well that he has an older sister. As I had spent two years in Sendai, these memories are from that period. As I also remembered that older sister has a younger brother who stuck to her and cried frequently, that was Hanyu-kun.
Continues~with Wings~ Official Guidebook: Minoru Sano
From http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/178670791846/continues-with-wings-official-guidebook-minoru

He taught me that if I faced my target directly and worked towards it sincerely I will achieve it, and he reached out to me after the earthquake and readily allowed me to train at his rink. Although I have received many things from Tsuzuki-sensei, I think among them these are the two things which greatly changed my life in a constructive way.”
Continues~with Wings~ Official Guidebook: Shoichiro Tsuzuki
From http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/179182194626/continues-with-wings-official-guidebook

Yoa

PJ Kwong and Kurt talked about Yuzuru and 4A
PJ: So what are you really looking forward to this season? tell me the biggest thing you are looking forward to?
Very excited Kurt: Oh oh Yuzuru Hanyu. I'm really excited about Yuzu because of something he said to me the other day. Two things, but one is private. He said "I'm back this year" (in his wonderful accent in barely English), but he's back to do quad axel. He's back to do quad axel, and that's some sexy exciting stuff.

Full transcript is here: https://ameblo.jp/mkp2012/entry-12413395127.html
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Rbu4Xquvz9c

And I bought two GOAT plushies for Yuzuru :EVILLE:

Last edited:

nimi

Yuzu arrived in Finland earlier today: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20181031-00000181-spnannex-spo

According to google translate, his comment to media was the usual:
"I've been working hard, I've done things I can do, so I will do my best again this time as well"

And of course many of his fans have arrived, too! :cheer2:
so the first thing I see in Helsinki is a girl at the claim control with a giant pooh bear on her baggage wih officer repeating "figure skating competition yeah we got you" #GPHelsinki

nimi

That sequence is in Yuzu's planned jump content for Helsinki! :cheer:
4Lo, 4S, 3Lo, 4T, 4T+3A+SEQ, 3F3T, 3A1Eu3S

Also, still no lutz... But not only is the flip back, he's planning to do a 3F3T? (When has he last done that combo in competition? In juniors maybe?) He sure is full of surprises!

ETA: Oh, he did do 3F3T back in 2009. (And got an edge call on it.)

ETA2: Here's the 4T+3A seq in practice today: https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1058036552603967491

Last edited:

wingnut

That sequence is in Yuzu's planned jump content for Helsinki! :cheer:
4Lo, 4S, 3Lo, 4T, 4T+3A+SEQ, 3F3T, 3A1Eu3S
Also, still no lutz... But not only is the flip back, he's planning to do a 3F3T? (When has he last done that combo in competition? In juniors maybe?) He sure is full of surprises!
ETA: Oh, he did do 3F3T back in 2009. (And got an edge call on it.)

Dumb question- is he allowed to do the 4T-3A sequence and the 3A-3S sequence? Would both be considered "3 jump combos"?

nimi

Dumb question- is he allowed to do the 4T-3A sequence and the 3A-3S sequence? Would both be considered "3 jump combos"?
No, because 4T+3A+SEQ is a jump sequence with only two jumps and 3A+1Eu+3S is a jump combination with three jumps. Euler counts as a listed jump in this context.

(ETA: I probably should clarify that "jump combination" and "jump sequence" are two different things and the BV is counted differently. In combinations, you simply add up the base values whereas in sequences, the jumps are worth 80% of their BV. So, e.g. 4T+3A+SEQ is worth less than a 3A+4T combo even though those jumping passes contain the same jumps... But it's not like anybody is crazy enough to attempt 3A+4T combos in competition anyway -- at least not yet! -- although some have tried it in practice)

You physically cannot do an axel as second (or third) jump in your combo because jumps must be landed backwards and the take-off for axel is from the forward edge. I.e. you would have to change foot/edge after landing the first jump for the axel take-off, which means you're not doing a jump combo, you're doing a jump sequence. Doing an euler in-between doesn't help, because that is landed backwards too. So basically, the euler combo thing allows you to change your landing leg & landing edge so you can do a sal or a flip as the 3rd jump in this type of combo, but an axel isn't a possibility.

Or as the tech handbook (pdf available somewhere on the ISU site) says:
In a jump combination the landing foot of a jump is the take off foot of the next jump. One full revolution on the ice between the jumps (free foot can touch the ice, but no weight transfer) keeps the element in the frame of the definition of a jump combination.
An Euler, when used in combinations between two listed jumps, becomes a listed jump (1Eu) with the value indicated in the SOV.

Also, in the new rules, your jump sequence only counts as sequence if the second jump is axel:
A jump sequence consists of 2 (two) jumps of any number of revolutions, beginning with any listed jump, immediately followed by an Axel type jump with a direct step from the landing curve of the first jump to the take-off curve of the Axel jump.
If somebody was to do an intentional 3A+3S+SEQ, I guess it would be judged as a botched attempt at doing a 3A+1Eu+3S combo but without the euler and it would judged as 3A+SEQ+3S* so the 3A would get 80% of BV and salchow would be invalid and receive no value and therefore this jumping pass would only have the BV of 6.4 points, I think? At least I think that's what this means (but my brain is tired so IDK):
If in a jump combination or sequence a skater falls or steps out of a jump and immediately executes another jump(s), the jump(s) after the mistake are not counted, and the call will be the executed jump(s) before the mistake + sequence + the executed jump(s). The jumps after the mistake are marked with an *.
2A(hop)+2A Call: 2A+Seq+2A* 2A+1Eu (fall/step out) +3S Call: 2A+1Eu+Seq+3S*
By doing this all the executed jumps will be visible on the computer screen and it will be easy to follow the requirements of the repetition rule.
The Judges GOE refer to the entire element performed.
The jumps are considered in the order of execution. The point where the mistakeoccurs will be marked with the sign “ + Seq” which results in 80% of the base valuefor the jumps prior to mistake and asterisk (*) for the jumps after it.
E.g.: 3T+2A+Seq.+2T*, 3T+3T+Seq.+2A*, 3T+1Eu+Seq.+2T*
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

DreamSkates

If he stops squeezing his Winnie while Orser is holding at at the boards just before he skates, maybe fans will find something more adult to throw.
Edit: I've read they all have their routines - wearing a certain necklace, etc. and to change that routine throws them off.

GreatLakesGal

Of course they won't be pleased, Fairuza. Those two posters are just jealous of Hanyu's continued success. Throwing Poohs on the ice is done by the fans who love him and they will never stop doing that as long as he competes.

Did you see Orser squeezing his own tiny Pooh in the K&C? That was adorable!

Fairuza

Of course they won't be pleased, Fairuza. Those two posters are just jealous of Hanyu's continued success. Throwing Poohs on the ice is done by the fans who love him and they will never stop doing that as long as he competes.

Did you see Orser squeezing his own tiny Pooh in the K&C? That was adorable!
Brian is us, then. I’ll get my own Pooh out tomorrow. :D

TallyT

Hey, he's the 2xOlympic Champion/2xWorld Champion/4xGPF Champion/GOAT who just took back his SP world record, to go with his historical one, thank you very much - he can do exactly as he pleases as far as 90% of Japan and skating fans worldwide are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information