WSJ article: The Most Trusted Name in Figure Skating News

Sylvia

TBD
... is Jackie Wong! :D

Wall Street Journal article by Ben Cohen (with a contribution by Louise Radnofsky): The Most Trusted Name in Figure Skating News
Excerpts:
Wong puts in the work, and everyone in figure skating pays attention.
And that includes the skaters. Nathan Chen says he “fills such an important niche.” Meagan Duhamel wants to sit with him at competitions. Maia Shibutani has worn Rocker Skating hoodies, one of the ways that Wong attempts to meet some of his expenses, and Chris Knierim has anointed Wong “the best in the biz.” Tara Lipinski responds to his GIFs on Twitter, Kristi Yamaguchi tweets commentary back at him and Sarah Hughes was so excited to meet Wong in person that she wanted a selfie.
“OMG Jackie!” Rippon recently tweeted back at him. “Why are you so smart?”
But he is likely the only person in the press tribunes of the Gangneung Ice Arena who had to ask for permission from his employer to cover the Olympics.
Wong still lives the itinerant existence of a consultant—on the road Monday through Thursday before taking the Amtrak from New York to his office in Philadelphia on Friday and staying up late at night to stream international competitions—but he says his side job wouldn’t be possible without his day job. His entire trip to the U.S. championships last month was paid with hotel points, and his firm has a policy called Take Time that encourages its employees to “recharge, go on vacation, do whatever you want to do,” he said.
He’s taking that time to work.
“To basically spend 18 hours in a rink,” Wong said. “But that’s what I do.”

Last edited:

GreatLakesGal

Over at Planet Hanyu, we very much appreciated Jackie's prediction for the men's podium. :biggrinbo

But seriously, I really do appreciate what he's done for skating. I especially love those practice notes of his. Great to see his hard work being acknowledged.

Seerek

Big congrats to Jackie - well deserved recognition, but also kudos to the many other great resources of the past and present such as Sylvia, Claire, Ryan, SkatingScores etc.

...and yes, the fact he knows all the skaters in the senior category disciplines (World and Olympic bound... or not) is beyond amazing.

Polaris

Wait, Jackie Wong is a McKinsey consultant? HOW IN THE WORLD does he maintain a side gig? McKinsey hours average 70-80 per week.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think we can trust Jackie Wong to be thorough, dedicated, passionate, straightforward, knowledgeable, indefatigable, charming, creative, and generous to skaters and to his fellow fs fans. Kudos Jackie, and please do keep speaking truth to TPTB while you're at it! :respec:

MAXSwagg

Who would you consider more trustworthy? I can't think of anyone else.

Like most journalists, he puts his own biased spin on things on occasion, deliberately IMO, and contradicts his own points. So he is not completely objective.

MAXSwagg

You didn't answer the question.

I know. But as far as who is more "trustworthy" or more "valuable", any of the the journalists who actually interview and question prominent people/skaters in the sport, instead of just going on a marathon of tweets at practices. Most anyone can do that. PJ Kwong, Ambesi, most any Russian journalist, Gallagher, Flade, even whacky Christine Brennan, and Phil Hersh, et al. And no, definitely not talking head Nick McCarvel. Has Jackie even really done substantial "investigative" things? I really want to know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information