Worst practice session accident

tylersf

I'm watching the 2022 Women's Practice Sessions. During Karen Chen's session the other skaters were respectful to stay out of her way. However, during Alyssa Liu's session, other skaters didn't hesitate to get in her way.
Does anyone recall any bad collisions or fights during practice sessions?

skatingguy

decently
There was one a few days ago between James/Radford & Della Monica/Guarise - there's footage of that all over the place now.

Kateri

void beast
This thread title gave me a heart attack, I thought something had just happened! :eek:

(my own fault, really, I was looking at "all new posts" so I didn't see it was in the trash can, not the Olympic forum)

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I had a kid skate right into my leg right as I was about to push off onto a forward outside edge, and I wanted to fight his parents because they had the nerve to come aske me for my info in case the kid was injured (I kind of sat on part of him as I fell). My coach told them to get lost, and it turned out I sprained my knee.

Probably not what you were looking for, but it still makes me mad.

Orm Irian

At a practice session for a World Team Trophy, I forget which year, Gabrielle Daleman accidentally slammed into Laurine Lecavelier's back - she was skating backwards and powering up, Laurine was skating slowly near the boards. Laurine was a bit jolted and shaken up, and Gabrielle had a fall that didn't look too serious and thought she was okay to keep going, but later it came out that as a result of the collision and fall she had a concussion, broken ribs and a metric ton of serious bruising.

Sometimes it's not the falls or collisions that look the most dramatic that do the most damage.

mackiecat

Not a collision but at 1994 Canadians in Edmonton, Coey Watson and his partner were doing a hydrant when he hit something on the ice, went down hit head. Of course wasn’t there to catch her, so she went down hard and hit head too. They competed and got an award for skating after being hurt.

bardtoob

:mad: The Human Zamboni and Prostitute On Ice (like that was actually a program), Laetitia Hubert, mowed down Midori and robbed us of a true showdown between Midori and Tonya in 1991.

Huber was dangerous, and should have been kept off the ice due to being an insurance risk.

caseyedwards

Obviously 1994

Perhaps the most famous came in practice at the Lillehammer Olympics, when Ukraine’s Oksana Baiul and Germany’s Tanja Szewczenko hit each other while preparing for jumps (video here) before the women’s free skate. Baiul suffered a cut on her right shin that required three stitches. Szewczenko suffered a bruised right hip and abdomen, according to The New York Times.

briancoogaert

:mad: The Human Zamboni and Prostitute On Ice (like that was actually a program), Laetitia Hubert, mowed down Midori and robbed us of a true showdown between Midori and Tonya in 1991.

Huber was dangerous, and should have been kept off the ice due to being an insurance risk.
:confused:

A.H.Black

In 1994 at US Nationals (while everyone was focused on Nancy Kerrigan), at Ice Dance practice/warm up, Galit Chait / Maxim Sevostianov (who were still competing for the US at the time) had a crash with Renee Roca / Gorsha Sur (defending US Champions). Renee broke her arm in the accident. She and Gorsha did go on to compete in the OD, but the next day, Renee was in too much pain to continue and they had to withdraw.

Judy

I had a kid skate right into my leg right as I was about to push off onto a forward outside edge, and I wanted to fight his parents because they had the nerve to come aske me for my info in case the kid was injured (I kind of sat on part of him as I fell). My coach told them to get lost, and it turned out I sprained my knee.

This isn’t the same thing at all but I completely understand. Many, many years ago I went to my very first NHL game in Ottawa and players warm up shooting pucks at goalies. I remember looking and seeing the puck coming at me (now they have protective nets) and I ducked as I could see it hitting my head. It did hit me and all the arena staff rushing to the child beside me and asking if he was ok. I said it was me that was injured and they just didn’t respond except with a blank look. I was so angry 😡😡. so yeah I get that emotion. I willingly let the kid keep the puck def didn’t want anything to do with it.

Totally not figure skating related but I get that emotion (Plus this crap just always magically Happens to me 😂😂😂).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
At the 2002 Olympics during the LP warmup Jamie Sale, while warming up her 3t ran into B&S who were working on a throw. B/S had the right of way. The collision was scary because Jamie sat down on the ice (like the wind was knocked out of her). Anton reached her first, since he was the nearest. David followed. There was a concern that she may be injured, but fortunately she was OK. Watching it in the arena was scary.

Another one - I think it was Laetitia Huber who ran into Midori Ito at the 1991 worlds warm up. Midori was injured but her fed persuaded her to skate, so Japan could get three spots next year. Midori finished in 4th place, so Japan didn't get the third spot. Those days a country that has a skater in the top 3 used to get 3 spots the following year.

Oops! Neither was during a practice session (that was the title of the thread). Both were during warmups at competitions.

Last edited:

Judy

I never realized that happened to Debbi Wilkes 🤢. Pairs is 🤢 dangerous but the other incidents are tough to watch. The concussions. I want to stick a helmet on their heads.

screech

If we're talking regular practices (not at competitions), I don't think anything can beat Elena Berezhnaya and Oleg Shliakhov. From her Wikipedia:
On 9 January 1996, Berezhnaya was seriously injured when Shliakhov's blade sliced into her skull while the pair were practicing a side-by-side camel spin in Riga. Two surgical operations were performed to remove bone fragments from her brain. The accident caused partial paralysis on her right side, and doctors were unsure if she would walk again. She also briefly lost the ability to speak.

Also in non-competition practice, Doug Ladret fractured his skull while training with Christine Hough, resulting in him having to wear helmets to practice.
Ladret stated, "The ice was pretty rutty. I put the lift up, and my right foot got stuck in a rut and down we went. I pulled Tuffy forward as I was falling; my first thought was to make sure she was OK. My tailbone hit first, and my neck whiplashed back.

Hedwig

Antique member
The very worst I ever watched- a junior pair at Canadians. A twist. He fell while she was in the air and she fell on the ice.
They competed later on! I was horrified by this.
And later it turned out she had fractured her knee cap in the fall. I still feel sick they let her compete…

Bournekraatzfan

Ugh, I’m sorry that happened to you 😞 I would have asked for their info and told them that my lawyer might be in touch…
I once had a kid take me out from behind because his family thought it was a good idea to play tag (something prohibited by rink rules and just generally a terrible idea). I was skating carefully in the middle, teaching a child with special needs, so my first instinct was to wrap my arms around her to protect her. I ended up falling on the kid and his blade went into my lower back. Thankfully, his blade was rounded and didn’t break skin or cause too much damage to my back (though it was sore for over two weeks and I injured my knee in the process) but his parents did not even have the decency to approach me to check if I was ok or apologize. The child I was teaching was okay, thank goodness, but I had to cancel the free lessons I was giving for a few weeks. I cannot stand these kinds of parents

Bournekraatzfan

Hubert was known for collisions/near-collisions?

Areski

At least they did not threaten to sue you for sitting on him for a split second. Americans (I assume you are from this country) love doing it for the most trivial and absurd reasons that one can imagine - see Walmart Karens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information