World of Dance

Scrufflet

Anyone watching?
This is my new fave show! The first episode was amazing. My two standouts were the Desi Hoppers from India and Karen y Ricardo, salsa dancers. What a great start for this show!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Loved the first show of the new season. It reminded me a bit of American Idol Season 2 (Ruben vs. Clay) when every decent young signer seemed to come out of the woodwork.

And, for the dance addicted, SYTYCD is back next week!!!!

Scrufflet

I haven't watched my tape, but I read that Eva Igo will be back along with a couple of teams from last season. Ruby Castro (SYTYCD, AGT) will be on with a partner.
Good to know! Thanks. I had wondered if people from last year could return. I'm just loving what I'm seeing!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I love this show too and I'm SOOOO excited to see Eva Igo again! She's phenomenal and I was so bummed out when she didn't win last year. The dancers have all been really good so far and I love that they added a junior team division this time. That's really cool and makes it even more fun. :cheer:

PeterG

I thought the first episode was phenomenal. The first two acts (Desi Hoppers and Sean & Kaycee) were so incredible I couldn't imagine how they could find acts to equal them. But I would have had everyone advance to the next round. How I'd rate the acts from episode one (how the judges rated each act are in parentheses):

95 Desi Hoppers (96)
95 Sean & Kaycee (96)
94 Karen y Ricardo (99.7)
87 S-Rank (91)
86 Hilty & Bosch (78.3)
84 Flip (83)
82 Jaxon Willard (94)

Rob

Beach Bum
Anyone still watching? I am a few episodes behind on my DVR, but I have seen Eva, and she was very good.
Anyone watching SYTYCD? Maybe this thread could be about both shows?

pixie cut

Anyone still watching? I am a few episodes behind on my DVR, but I have seen Eva, and she was very good.
Anyone watching SYTYCD? Maybe this thread could be about both shows?

I am watching both shows. I'm enjoying World of Dance, but these qualifiers are going on forever. I understand the show is 16 weeks, but it's being dragged out. I barely remember the dancers from the first couple of weeks even though I remember there were some great performances. Overall, the standard of dance is really high. There is a lot of creativity. The crews/ensembles have really stepped up their games. Some of the jr division is mind blowing.

SYTYCD is kind of off this year. The judges are carrying on over dancers I find pretty boring. There are a couple of true stand outs, but it's hard to imagine what a top 20 will look like. Also taking too long to get to the live shows.

Scrufflet

I'm watching both. I prefer WOD because it seems to have overwhelmingly positive energy. I love all the hip hop groups as it is something I only see here. Latin, ballroom people have been fabulous so far. And sometimes you see competitors telling others how much they respect each other; really nice! Judges respect them all and let them know it.
SYTYCD made a great decision in having tWitch on. He brings a lot of the positive from Ellen, I think. But the show has a large negative aspect for me and I think that's due to Nigel. Too much regimentation (Cue music, step forward, step back in line, etc.) and focus on pain and suffering it takes to be a dancer. I still watch because some of the people are interesting in spite of the confines.

vgerdes

I'm watching both. I prefer WOD because it seems to have overwhelmingly positive energy. I love all the hip hop groups as it is something I only see here. Latin, ballroom people have been fabulous so far. And sometimes you see competitors telling others how much they respect each other; really nice! Judges respect them all and let them know it.
SYTYCD made a great decision in having tWitch on. He brings a lot of the positive from Ellen, I think. But the show has a large negative aspect for me and I think that's due to Nigel. Too much regimentation (Cue music, step forward, step back in line, etc.) and focus on pain and suffering it takes to be a dancer. I still watch because some of the people are interesting in spite of the confines.

I agree with you on all points, actually. WOD is one of my new faves. Great routines overall, and even those who don't go through are given positive feedback. SYTYCD does focus too much on the pain and suffering aspect. I actually tend to fast forward through a lot of that stuff on my DVR and focus on the dancing and critiques.

pixie cut

The judges on World of Dance are able to give mostly positive feedback because every act is prescreened and auditioned before they're allowed on the show. Some acts may not be totally fabulous, but they'll still have excellent qualities. Everyone is entertaining. They also bring acts in from all over the world.

So You Think You Can Dance is meant to be like a giant audition. Calling upon the dancers to be versatile means that even great dancers within a genre will possibly suck at other genres. Nigel does bring negative energy, but that's his role. The cost cutting of only doing auditions in Los Angeles and New York means the talent pool from which to draw is cut down. That shows in the small # of people at academy week. Also, the show insists everyone be between the ages of 18 and 30 and be authorized to work in the U.S. So no cool salsa dancers from South America, hip hop artists from Japan or seasoned ballet dancers.

chantilly

I’m the exact opposite. I’m way more SYTYCD.
I think the WOD judges are super arrogant and annoying to be honest.
And their choice for winner last year was completely wrong IMO and based more of social media following then IMO actual talent.

I have my issues with the SYTYCD judges too. Nigel is arrogant as well, but he is knowledgeable. Mary too.
Vanessa is a waste of space.
But I prefer the show once it gets to choreography rounds and live shows.

I’m not one for hip hop in general honestly. The groups make it more interesting for sure. And I’m super happy WOD instituted a junior group division this year. But for me hip hop loses my interest quickly. And I’m general based on what I’ve seen In SYTYCD they don’t hold a candle to contemporary, ballet and ballroom dancers for all around dancing skill.
They are super skilled in their niche/style but given the challenge to dance other styles and take up choreography they are usually lacking IMO.

Scrufflet

The judges on World of Dance are able to give mostly positive feedback because every act is prescreened and auditioned before they're allowed on the show. Some acts may not be totally fabulous, but they'll still have excellent qualities. Everyone is entertaining. They also bring acts in from all over the world.

So You Think You Can Dance is meant to be like a giant audition. Calling upon the dancers to be versatile means that even great dancers within a genre will possibly suck at other genres. Nigel does bring negative energy, but that's his role. The cost cutting of only doing auditions in Los Angeles and New York means the talent pool from which to draw is cut down. That shows in the small # of people at academy week. Also, the show insists everyone be between the ages of 18 and 30 and be authorized to work in the U.S. So no cool salsa dancers from South America, hip hop artists from Japan or seasoned ballet dancers.
Interesting points. As an aside, a number of years ago, a friend's daughter tried out for SYTYCDCanada but backed out at midpoint because of the stifling rules around the stories/packaging they had in the contract.

Scrufflet

I’m the exact opposite. I’m way more SYTYCD.
I think the WOD judges are super arrogant and annoying to be honest.
And their choice for winner last year was completely wrong IMO and based more of social media following then IMO actual talent.

I have my issues with the SYTYCD judges too. Nigel is arrogant as well, but he is knowledgeable. Mary too.
Vanessa is a waste of space.
But I prefer the show once it gets to choreography rounds and live shows.

I’m not one for hip hop in general honestly. The groups make it more interesting for sure. And I’m super happy WOD instituted a junior group division this year. But for me hip hop loses my interest quickly. And I’m general based on what I’ve seen In SYTYCD they don’t hold a candle to contemporary, ballet and ballroom dancers for all around dancing skill.
They are super skilled in their niche/style but given the challenge to dance other styles and take up choreography they are usually lacking IMO.
I like your point about last year's WOD winner. It was wrong to pick Les Twins (with 3 legs!) over Keoni and Mari (4 legs) going into the final.
I do love the hip hop groups mainly because I don't watch it anywhere else. These 2 shows were responsible for me starting to like the genre; previously I had found it all boring.

Rob

Beach Bum
I think SYTYCD is stuck in old American Idol mode because that is what Nigel knows. Reality Shows have changed to positive and constructive criticism (see Voice, WOD). I like SYTYCD because I like the work with a partner/new choreographers and styles each week aspect of it, rather than just do what you do each week.

chantilly

^ I agree with all of what you say above, but I don’t like the fact that the Voice for example is not critical. I find little constructive criticism on that show for the performances.

WOD tries but I find myself shrugging my shoulders at theirs most of the time.

There’s a difference between being critical and being cruel.

Sometimes an artist needs criticism in order to get better.
Many times on the Voice it’d irk me that they were devoid of that.

Simon Cowell was a jerk sometimes but he was generally mostly right.

vgerdes

I like SYTYCD because I like the work with a partner/new choreographers and styles each week aspect of it, rather than just do what you do each week.

I love to see dancers excel in unexpected ways - i.e., a hip hop dancer doing a beautiful contemporary routine. That's unique to SYTYCD's format, and it's why I still watch. WOD, meanwhile, offers a diversity of cultures and dance styles that is also unique. I'm enjoying both shows, overall, for the quality of dance they offer. The judges, for me, are the least appealing part (on both shows).

Scrufflet

So last night was pretty good but how long are qualifiers going on? Let's get to some duels! Really liked the two contemp. guys, Quad Squad and Luka and Jenalynn(boy have they improved).

Scrufflet

Next Tuesday, July 24 is the 8th and final qualifier. Duels start the following day, Wednesday, July 25. (According to Hulu)
Good to know. I wonder if any more from last year will be there. Nice to see Luka and Jenalyn back.

pixie cut

Final round of the qualifying tonight on World of Dance. Duels begin tomorrow night.

Girls top five picked last night on So You Think. I would debate over a couple of the choices, but I definitely preferred this to last year's teams and dance off. Really challenged the dancers and showed their versatility or lack thereof.

Rob

Beach Bum
Girls top five picked last night on So You Think. I would debate over a couple of the choices, but I definitely preferred this to last year's teams and dance off. Really challenged the dancers and showed their versatility or lack thereof.
I liked the format too -- everyone dancing outside of their own style. I preferred Emily to Chelsea overall, but salsa is probably further out of the contemporary/jazz wheelhouse than hip hop is (since the competition dancers usually take hip hop) and Chelsea did do well with the salsa.

Aceon6

I thought Genessy was a bit over-praised and that Jensen could have sat in a chair and Nigel would have put her through. That said, it seems that Nigel is over his cute blonde thing.

Rob

Beach Bum
I thought Genessy was a bit over-praised and that Jensen could have sat in a chair and Nigel would have put her through. That said, it seems that Nigel is over his cute blonde thing.
I didn't see much that I liked from Genessy in the Academy week so I was actually pleasantly surprised with her hip hop performance. Agree that Jensen was going through no matter what.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Dang, these Duels are knocking out some really strong dancers tonight! I love this show but it sucks that the talent level is so high between some of the matchings this year that a deserving dancer or group ends up going home. :eek:

Aceon6

Dang, these Duels are knocking out some really strong dancers tonight! I love this show but it sucks that the talent level is so high between some of the matchings this year that a deserving dancer or group ends up going home. :eek:
Assuming it really is the higher placing team choosing the opponent, most of them chose wisely. As for the final battle, the challenger did the expected, while the ones challenged really upped their game. For those who thought last season was rigged for Les Twins, this voting gives me hope that the judges are scoring the actual dancing as opposed to reputation.

Scrufflet

I thought the judging was fair in the duels, part 1. Last one was a shocker. I'm not spoiling!

LeafOnTheWind

I'm enjoying the show but it sometimes feels like we've stumbled into a gymnastics floor routine instead of a dance competition. I'm not a fan of that unless they can really integrate it well with the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information