Word Games

gkelly

So I've been playing https://dowsle.com/, which is sometimes lots of fun and sometimes frustrating.

Semi-spoiler: Let's just say that another thread in this forum helped me think of today's answer much faster than if I hadn't recently read that thread.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Just tried it and I don't know. I felt like I was in the right arena on the meaning side early, kept going in one direction and was getting closer and closer until I literally could not think of anything given the words that had been the closest. Had to get back to work so gave up at 55 guesses and am frankly not happy!

I had started with BEACH and seemed to be getting somewhere as before long the closest meaning was REEF. After going through various things associated with oceanic activity, I went in the direction of volcanoes with a whole bunch of words, always getting closer, then apparently CRATER was really close. Turns out the world was ASTEROID, which has a lot to do with craters, but not volcanos!!

I'll try again tomorrow, sigh.

gkelly

It's not all that intuitive. The word that first gets you to the general range may not be the best meaning you need to focus on.

I usually end up brute forcing/"cheating" by plugging the best rated word into an online thesaurus and trying all the one-word synonyms

Sometimes it takes a few hundred guesses to narrow it down to the target word and I start to lose patience when it isn't fun any more.
Those are usually examples where the closest words are from some technical field(s) that I would never guess on my own.

The closest spelling list is sometimes helpful, but usually not until you get pretty close the correct word in the at list. I have been known to put a moderately close word into an online anagram finder, but that's usually not very helpful.

The hints at the bottom are only one for each list, which gives you one word usually with a nearness number in the 200s. So they're useful if you're having trouble getting into the green range at all on that list, but not so much if you've already gotten into double-digit nearness.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Wordle 466 2/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SHARE USURP ……… Finally, the letter β€˜U’ gets some respect, and I’m here for it!

Wordle 466 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

FLING CREST SHARP USURP - took me to the third guess to get where you were, with an S having to be in the second or third position, which is not common, so once I got there, obvious. Well done on you getting it in two!

Susan1

Wordle 468 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Duh. I swear I should have seen it in the third line, but I had a brain burp and kept the yellow one in the wrong place.

250 games:
1 line only 1 time
2 lines 11 times
3 lines 63 times
4 lines 92 times
5 lines 45 times
6 lines 25 times
Did not get - 13 times (I am not going to mention it's been 60 days since "qu-art?". ha ha)

Last edited:

Susan1

Wordle 468 3/6

🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SHARE STORM SCORN

@Susan Were the times you didn’t get it mostly early on?
Yeah! According to my spreadsheet - the first time was the second day (sheesh). Then a bad stretch at 19, 23, 25 and 28! Then one in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 90s. Then on day 103, I got Story in one guess, which was my first word since Day One. And I changed words. I have only not gotten it right on days 180 and 190. Hm. I'm not telling the word I've been using. And I'm not changing it because as soon as I do that will be the correct word. It's not a better or smarter word. Neither am I. Just mostly luck. :) Who wants to bet I won't get it right tomorrow. :yikes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information