Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Here is the potential list I compiled a few months back, with a couple minor edits...will JGP happen at all? Will GP assignments be named this month or at all?

LADIES (roughly 36 skaters for 72 total spots)
RUS (9)- Kostornaia, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, Medvedeva, Sinitsyna, Zagitova? (then Gulyakova- no sb & 54ws & 7th Nats, Samodurova- sb35 & 13ws & 9th Nats)
USA (5)- Tennell, Bell, K Chen, Glenn, Andrews (host spot: Venetta/Gold/Hicks/Cui/Harrell)
JPN (9)- Kihira, Higuchi, Miyahara, Sakamoto, Yokoi, Yamashita, Araki, also Honda/Nagai/Nitaya/Kawabata
KOR (6)- Young, Yelim, Eunsoo, Hanul, H. Lee, S. Wi
CAN (1.5)- (host spots: Bausback sb59/Schumacher sb57/Pineault sb58/Schizas no sb/Daleman sb74)
FRA (1.5)- (host spots: Meite, Serna, maybe Mazzara if not JGP)
CHN (1.5)- (host spots: Hongyi, Yi Zhu, Ashley Lin?)
Other (7)- Paganini, Kurakova, Safonova, Ryabova, Schott, Peltonen, Kiibus (alt Saarinen)

MEN (roughly 36 skaters for 72 total spots)
RUS (7)- Samarin, Aliev, Danielian, Ignatov, Mozalev, Gumennik, Kolyada
USA (7/8)- Chen, Zhou, Brown, Hiwatashi, Pulkinen, Krasnozhon, Torgashev, Naumov?
JPN (7)- Kagiyama, Hanyu, Uno, Tanaka, Tomono, Yamamoto, Sato
CAN (4)- Messing, Nguyen, Sadovsky, Nadeau (host spot: Phan/Orzel/Gogolev)
FRA (1)- Aymoz, Fa
CHN (2) - Boyang Jin, Yan Han
Other (7)- Cha, Kvitelashvili, Vasiljevs, Grassl, Rizzo, Fentz, Brezina (alt: Kovalev, Selevko, Litvintsev, Kerry)

PAIRS (roughly 24 teams for 48 spots)
RUS (6)- Boikova, Tarasova, Pavliuchenko, Mishina, Pepeleva, Panfilova
USA (7)- Kayne, Cain, Calalang, Knierim, Lu, Finster, Serafini
JPN (1)- Miura
CAN (3) - MTM, Walsh, Ruest
CHN (3)- Peng, Sui, Tang
FRA (1)- Hamon (host: Keriven)
Other (4)- DMG, Ziegler, Hase, Hocke (alt: Ghilardi, Barquero, Magyar)

DANCE (roughly 30 teams for 60 spots)
RUS (6) - Sinitsina, Stepanova, Zagorski, Morozov, Shevchenko, Skoptcova (maybe Konkina, Shpilevaya, Bazin)
USA (6)- Chock, Hubbell, Hawayek, Carreira, Green, Nguyen
CAN (4)- Gilles, Soucisse, Lajoie, Fournier-Beaudry
ITA (1) - Guignard
FRA (2)- Papadakis, Lauriault (host: Galyavieva/Wagret)
SPN (2)- Smart, Hurtado
JPN (1)- Komatsubara (host spot: Yoshida)
CHN (1)- Wang (host spots: Chen, Ning)
Other (5)- Fear, Kaliszek, Reed, Nazarova, Kazakova (alt: Galyavieva, Steffan, Wagret, Muller, Lopareva, Orihara)

Last edited:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
The Skate America 2020 website says athletes will be announced in July so I'm guessing we will get GP assignment info late.

Japanfan

I'm not confident there is going to be a GP series. Those events need to be planned well in advance, and they can't be at the moment. Plus, quarantine requirements could still be in place.

I'm not even sure about Nationals taking place, TBH. Though an event taking place in January seems more likely than an event in October.

LL22

I'm not confident there is going to be a GP series. Those events need to be planned well in advance, and they can't be at the moment. Plus, quarantine requirements could still be in place.

I'm not even sure about Nationals taking place, TBH. Though an event taking place in January seems more likely than an event in October.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. The ISU has said they will approve or cancel events 12 weeks ahead of each event, unless the country cancels it before then, like the Slovakia event in September. I think the best we can hope for is national events for each country and maybe 4CC and worlds, but even that is reaching.
Also, I don’t know how fair even national events will be considering people are getting back onto the ice at different times with different restrictions even in the same nation.

Dobre

Also, I don’t know how fair even national events will be considering people are getting back onto the ice at different times with different restrictions even in the same nation.

Not to mention that some people do not train in their home countries and may have the challenge of quarantines on top of traveling across international borders.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I think the best we can hope for is Nationals. For those who are training in other countries, it probably depends on how strict their country is about international travels, quarantine requirements, etc.

LL22

I think regional competitions might still be a go.
A lot of European Borders are opening in mid Juni so hopefully at least some October / November events may still happen.
What European borders are opening? I have only heard Italy on the news.

Orm Irian

What European borders are opening? I have only heard Italy on the news.

Austria, Germany, Switzerland and France are opening their borders to each other on 15 June, if all continues to go well lurgi-wise, which makes it possible that Nebelhorn Trophy and Inge Solar in the Challenger series might go ahead, even if it's without audiences and with a smaller field than usual. Finland, Norway and Denmark are opening their borders to each other and may consider going further depending on how other countries do, so that raises the possibility of Finlandia as well.

LL22

Austria, Germany, Switzerland and France are opening their borders to each other on 15 June, if all continues to go well lurgi-wise, which makes it possible that Nebelhorn Trophy and Inge Solar in the Challenger series might go ahead, even if it's without audiences and with a smaller field than usual. Finland, Norway and Denmark are opening their borders to each other and may consider going further depending on how other countries do, so that raises the possibility of Finlandia as well.
Thanks for the info. The ISU can’t allow European countries to be allowed to compete and earn points and not Asia, Australia and North America. I wonder how all of this will work itself out?

starrynight

Thanks for the info. The ISU can’t allow European countries to be allowed to compete and earn points and not Asia, Australia and North America. I wonder how all of this will work itself out?

Good point.

Perhaps if small regional competitions can be organised, they will just need to be treated as domestic competitions and not count for world standing points? It would be very difficult to make points mean anything if fields are disproportionately stacked/weak depending on who could go to what competitions.

LL22

Good point.

Perhaps if small regional competitions can be organised, they will just need to be treated as domestic competitions and not count for world standing points? It would be very difficult to make points mean anything if fields are disproportionately stacked/weak depending on who could go to what competitions.
Another good point about competitive difficulty.
We will know some of these answers this month and next. I’m hoping for the best. I would rather not force the skaters who are still not skating to get ready so fast and give the other skaters who have been skating (some for a month already) a clear unfair advantage. It will be difficult to keep everything “fair” this season. This goes for worldwide and national events.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Good point.

That happens anyway. :lol: Athletes select a lot of events just for that reason, and federations send athletes to specific events to maximize their potential to medal.

LL22

That happens anyway. :lol: Athletes select a lot of events just for that reason, and federations send athletes to specific events to maximize their potential to medal.

Oh I know, lol!

Nationally though, There are some people who have been skating a month and others in the same country who are still quarantined. How do you make that “fair”? I don’t think you can.

Also, I heard from a skater who was interviewed that Australia was closing its border until Jan 1. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don’t see them having a huge international event (4CC) right after opening without many precautions, perhaps including a quarantine of visitors.

Last edited:

starrynight

lol Yes - but I imagine in the current situation it could be one thousand fold the usual situation.

Imagine a ladies competition where all the Russians came.

Then imagine a ladies competition where only Austria, Germany, Switzerland and France competed.

Usually things are a bit spaced out at competitions - the dominant athletes don't want to meet each other all at once. B

Orm Irian

Also, I heard from a skater who was interviewed that Australia was closing its border until Jan 1. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don’t see them having a huge international event (4CC) right after opening without many precautions, perhaps including a quarantine of visitors.

We'll probably establish a travel bubble with New Zealand and a few other places within the next couple of months, but for the world in general, September is the very earliest we'll be thinking about letting people from elsewhere come in without quarantines (ie six months after we locked down). And it would depend on where they came from and what the situation was there, I assume. If things aren't going well, 1 January is a likely date to extend travel restrictions to.

I think the only problem with running Challengers if not everyone can (in principle) access every event is that they aren't evenly distributed around the world. In future it should be required to have at least one on each continent - North America, South America, Australia/Oceania, Africa, Europe and Asia - to make it possible for most skaters to have some access to international-level competitions at least in situations like this. But in a cobbled-together season like the one we're likely to get, well, whatever. Many Senior Bs and probably several Challengers won't happen at all, and since nobody's competing for entry to a final and relatively large sums of money like they are in the Grand Prix, let the chips and points from what Challengers we're likely to get fall where they may. It's always been the case that they go to those who show up on the day, after all.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Nationally though, There are some people who have been skating a month and others in the same country who are still quarantined. How do you make that “fair”? I don’t think you can.
People keep saying this and it makes me wonder if they realize it was never fair? There were always skaters with better access to ice time, with more money for training, etc. It's life.

The ISU needs to keep the athletes safe, it needs to follow local laws, but it doesn't need to wait until every country opens up their rinks IME. They only have to wait until enough athletes have enough training time that they can have a decent field.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Or the ISU could do what some people (like me) have been suggesting, and guarantee one entry at Worlds for a representative for each member federation, without requiring a qualifying score at another competition. That would remove some of the inequities between have and have-not countries in terms of skaters' preparation.

Or it could use the number of entries that had been determined for Montreal Worlds.

Dobre

They can allow them to compete and not mess with points. Prize money can remain for placements and the athletes gain the experience of performing their programs in a competitive setting.

starrynight

Honestly at this point, I'd be happy for any kind of domestic competition provided a live stream was put on YouTube! Heck, even a competition simulation put on by the training team would be entertaining too.

90% of the world top ice dance teams all train together in Montreal, so a competition amongst them would be easy. (lol The one time I feel it is a good thing to have everyone in the same training camp). A lot of excellent skaters also train in Toronto. Local competitions amongst Moscow and St Petersburg skaters would also be very interesting.

Although, those videos of the pre-Worlds run throughs skaters posted show the difference between an empty training rink and a packed arena.

There's not as much atmosphere, the skaters don't have the excitement and adrenaline.

There's plenty of skaters who can do a lot in training who can't replicate it in front of a big audience due to the nerves, excitement and adrenaline. (Trusova's 5 quad free program she could do in training but not competition comes to mind).

It'll be interesting to see if the removal of audiences shakes up the standings of skaters. I think some might really benefit from it.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
So true, the logistics of putting on any international competition is a nightmare. I’m hoping they will change what the qualifications are. Points don’t matter anymore when it comes to health

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

Nothing formal, though I think most Aussies have accepted that people probably aren't going to be allowed in from elsewhere without quarantine until the end of the year. But we're looking to establish a travel bubble with New Zealand first, which could happen August/September. That gives me some hope that not only our domestic season could still have some comps, but that the New Zealand skaters may also have the chance to compete (a lot of them fly over the ditch) at our events also. Good for everybody.

I suspect some more borders may be selectively opened towards the end of the year, but I doubt places where the virus is running rampantly unchecked with its own citizens fighting efforts to control it will be on that list.

Rock2

People keep saying this and it makes me wonder if they realize it was never fair? There were always skaters with better access to ice time, with more money for training, etc. It's life.

The ISU needs to keep the athletes safe, it needs to follow local laws, but it doesn't need to wait until every country opens up their rinks IME. They only have to wait until enough athletes have enough training time that they can have a decent field.

Can't say I'm aligned here.
In the standard environment, conditions relative to training have more to do with priorities and choices at the individual, federation and government level.

The v*rus is an environmental condition that spread across the world in a non-uniform way. The differences in experience country by country have practically nothing to do with choices of individuals and federations. I recommend looking at this through a different lense.

The ISU will have quite a number of decisions to make. One key one will be to establish a clear threshold for how many member countries are up and running and to what degree before greenlighting events. Your perspective seems to be something along the lines of so long as there's some abstract concept of a majority of skaters and federations uploaded, good to go.

While this is certainly a path the ISU can take, it's anything but a given, in part because of the complexities of drawing a clear line on what consistitutes a majority. They are well within their right to vote to wait for everyone.

This is likely to all come to a head when the final decision for world's needs to be made (cancel or hold); ISU will probably at that point decide to hold with whoever is ready or cancel. May end up becoming that simple.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I wish they would straight up say GP and everything else in 2020 is canceled, TBD on Nationals and 2021.
Me too! Twelve weeks' notice really is awful for fans who want to attend. Travel arrangements, hotels, etc. I still don't have my refund from Stars on Ice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information