Who is Retiring after 2021-22 Season?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Tuktamsyehva she is aging every year
and even if she fails again for a 3rd Olympics try, I dont think she will be competitive next quad.

I have doubts a 26 year old woman from pre Sochi Era can land a quad. The writing is on the wall.
Better make the most out of it this season, she will need to hope Trusova doesnt show up with any quads at nationals.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Aging every year post 20+ in skating years means being less competitive especially for women.
Tuktamsyehva is barely competitive even with her 3 axel in this current Olympic quad.

lol wut? She is basically winning everything that Valieva isn't in. She's plenty competitive. Any American would be overwhelmed with joy at Tuk's level of success this season.

screech

As much as I hate to jinx her, I think Liza might finally make the O's this year (along with Valieva and Scherbakova). Valieva is a lock, I don't think they'll leave Scherbakova off the team, and of the remaining top ones, Tuktamysheva has proven herself to be the most reliable (and just barely beats out Trusova for 3rd highest GP score this season).

love_skate2011

Banned Member
As much as I hate to jinx her, I think Liza might finally make the O's this year (along with Valieva and Scherbakova). Valieva is a lock, I don't think they'll leave Scherbakova off the team, and of the remaining top ones, Tuktamysheva has proven herself to be the most reliable (and just barely beats out Trusova for 3rd highest GP score this season).
she barely eeked out with a quad Trusova, let that sink in
and Tuktamsyehva has no room for errors because has a ceiling 235 points.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
lol wut? She is basically winning everything that Valieva isn't in. She's plenty competitive. Any American would be overwhelmed with joy at Tuk's level of success this season.
skaters these season are either injured or have insufficient training time
233 points is something Sakomato, Kihira, even Tennell can score if they were all healthy.

Krommykh scored a 154 with low PCS but 2 quads who beat out Tuktamyshevas plummeting scores in Rostelecom.
Samodelkina can land 4 quads, and Kostornaia with 3 clean 3 axels will beat her too.

So that puts Tuk 6th at best if others skate clean.
Sick is not what Rostelecom showed us but that she cannot make mistakes, her PCS dropped from 71 to 70 there.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
You sound so negative its actually stunning
No, I just analyzed all her scores and that is the maximum she can score, 235
I'd risk Trusova, I hope they let her have a skate off with Trusova

Like the Infamous Medvedeva vs Tuktamsyehva 2019 Worlds
and that risk paid off !

nylynnr

For what it's worth -- maybe not much! -- I question the strategy of ice dance teams that announce their retirement plans at the start of Olympic seasons. So many factors go into ice dance judging, why add another nuance to the situation. Win your medal and then triumphantly announce your plans.

toddlj

For what it's worth -- maybe not much! -- I question the strategy of ice dance teams that announce their retirement plans at the start of Olympic seasons. So many factors go into ice dance judging, why add another nuance to the situation. Win your medal and then triumphantly announce your plans.
On the other hand... I suppose it's possible for the bias to run in the other direction... to give the medal to the one on their way out, much like Academy Awards sometimes go to someone who is near the end of their career.

manhn

Besides VirMoi in 2010 and GriPlat in 1994, all the other Olympic gold medalists retired at the end of that season.

Taso

Besides VirMoi in 2010 and GriPlat in 1994, all the other Olympic gold medalists retired at the end of that season.
Linichuk & Karponosov also continued, they were 3rd at 1981 Euros and didn't go to Worlds (I don't know if that was their choice or the Soviet federation's).

yeslek

Dance- I think it is pretty obvious Chock & Bates will be done. This will be his 4th Olympics. If they return I will be STUNNED. I think Hubbell & Donohue are likely, although maybe not 100% for sure done. Both are in serious relatioships and might want to move on with their lives. If Papadakis & Cizeron and Sinitsina & Katsalapov both retire, maybe they might continue seeing an opening to be #1 for awhile, but I am not sure. I think Gilles & Poirier are probably done by their comments. I think there is a good chance if they make the Olympics which seems nearly certain that Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen would be done as well. The 2 Spanish teams? Something tells me they might stay in but not sure. Papadakis & Cizeron could be done, especialy if they win Olympics and worlds as I expect they will, but might continue. The top 2 Russian teams are also up in the air. Guignard & Fabbri would almost for sure be done. Wang/Liu, Zagorski/Guerreiro, Komatsubara/Koleto also seem likely. I think the dance will see a slew of retirements.

Men- I think Nathan Chen and Hanyu are both done. Zhou is probably done by his comments. Kegan Messing has to for sure be done after this season. Uno most likely is done. Jason Brown most likely is done. Kolyada has to be done right.

Ladies- I think Kostarnaia, Anna S, and Tuktamysheva (already confirmed for her) are done after this season, particularly if Anna S makes the Olympic team and wins an individual medal and possibly a team gold. I see most of the top 6 or 7 Japanese women retiring. Bell and Tennell are almost certainly done, whether they make the team or not. Medvedev has already confirmed retirement after the season it seems. I can see Karen Chen moving on if she makes her 2nd Olympic team, but not as sure on her as Tennell and Bell. Daleman likely will move on regardless how the season goes.

Pairs- Tarasova & Morozov might be done, but I am not sure on them. Sui & Han are obviously done after this season. Peng & Jin might retire, or they might take the opportunity to be Chinese #1 for awhile. Moore Towers & Moscovitch are definitely in their final season. Will James & Radford continue? Will Denney & Frazier. I think Denney & Frazier probably will, but not sure on James & Radford, as I thought they were teaming up mostly to skate in shows after the Games, but could see them deciding to give it more than 1 season in amateur. Della Monica has already confirmed retirement post season but I do think Matteo Gaurise will continue most likely. Atleast if he can find a decent partner.
There seem to be alot of errors in this and goes against what a lot of them have said.

yeslek

233 points is something Sakomato, Kihira, even Tennell can score if they were all healthy.

Krommykh scored a 154 with low PCS but 2 quads who beat out Tuktamyshevas plummeting scores in Rostelecom.
Samodelkina can land 4 quads, and Kostornaia with 3 clean 3 axels will beat her too.

Sick is not what Rostelecom showed us but that she cannot make mistakes, her PCS dropped from 71 to 70 there.
Plummeting scores at rostelecom? Didn’t she just get like 3 points lower while just overcoming the flu? She also stated she wants to land a quad in competition but not this season.

DreamSkates

Tuktamsyehva she is aging every year
and even if she fails again for a 3rd Olympics try, I dont think she will be competitive next quad.

I have doubts a 26 year old woman from pre Sochi Era can land a quad. The writing is on the wall.
Better make the most out of it this season, she will need to hope Trusova doesnt show up with any quads at nationals.
Right and so we all "age" every year but she has shown her ability to keep up with triple axels and better consistency and artistry. So kudos to this 26-year old. She is one of the top Russian ladies.

DreamSkates

I just saw on wikipedia that Kostornaia withdrew from Russian Nationals (fractured hand).
PCs dropping from 71 to 70 is not a plummet
Tenell and Kihira have yet to show they are healthy.

As the blade slides...the drama goes on...and so continues the "what ifs" and "the ice is slippery" - it will be interesting and exciting to see who ends up on podiums and at the Olympics.

aml78

If they don't make National Champions this year, one more year could be the way to retire having won another Nationals or be on the podium at Worlds.
I think I read they aren’t retiring yet. I think they want to be the top US team and possibly get back on the world podium if some other top teams retire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information