Who is Retiring after 2021-22 Season?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I don't have solid confirmations for most, and feel free to correct if I'm wrong, but I am gathering that some or all of Gilles/Poirier, Hubbell/Donohue, Hurtado/Khaliavin, Smart/Diaz, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Wang/Liu, Zagorski/Guerreiro, Komatsubara/Koleto, and Papadakis/Cizeron could be moving on after this season. How about for the other disciplines?

PeterG

Here's a link to the retirement thread:

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
That thread seems to be for official announcements (Tursynbaeva, Medvedeva etc) that we all know about already- whereas I am intending for this one to be more projection/guessing going forward.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I don't have solid confirmations for most, and feel free to correct if I'm wrong, but I am gathering that some or all of Gilles/Poirier, Hubbell/Donohue, Hurtado/Khaliavin, Smart/Diaz, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Wang/Liu, Zagorski/Guerreiro, Komatsubara/Koleto, and Papadakis/Cizeron could be moving on after this season. How about for the other disciplines?

What about Chock and Bates? Are they going to continue?

Fadeevfanboy

Dance- I think it is pretty obvious Chock & Bates will be done. This will be his 4th Olympics. If they return I will be STUNNED. I think Hubbell & Donohue are likely, although maybe not 100% for sure done. Both are in serious relatioships and might want to move on with their lives. If Papadakis & Cizeron and Sinitsina & Katsalapov both retire, maybe they might continue seeing an opening to be #1 for awhile, but I am not sure. I think Gilles & Poirier are probably done by their comments. I think there is a good chance if they make the Olympics which seems nearly certain that Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen would be done as well. The 2 Spanish teams? Something tells me they might stay in but not sure. Papadakis & Cizeron could be done, especialy if they win Olympics and worlds as I expect they will, but might continue. The top 2 Russian teams are also up in the air. Guignard & Fabbri would almost for sure be done. Wang/Liu, Zagorski/Guerreiro, Komatsubara/Koleto also seem likely. I think the dance will see a slew of retirements.

Men- I think Nathan Chen and Hanyu are both done. Zhou is probably done by his comments. Kegan Messing has to for sure be done after this season. Uno most likely is done. Jason Brown most likely is done. Kolyada has to be done right.

Ladies- I think Kostarnaia, Anna S, and Tuktamysheva (already confirmed for her) are done after this season, particularly if Anna S makes the Olympic team and wins an individual medal and possibly a team gold. I see most of the top 6 or 7 Japanese women retiring. Bell and Tennell are almost certainly done, whether they make the team or not. Medvedev has already confirmed retirement after the season it seems. I can see Karen Chen moving on if she makes her 2nd Olympic team, but not as sure on her as Tennell and Bell. Daleman likely will move on regardless how the season goes.

Pairs- Tarasova & Morozov might be done, but I am not sure on them. Sui & Han are obviously done after this season. Peng & Jin might retire, or they might take the opportunity to be Chinese #1 for awhile. Moore Towers & Moscovitch are definitely in their final season. Will James & Radford continue? Will Denney & Frazier. I think Denney & Frazier probably will, but not sure on James & Radford, as I thought they were teaming up mostly to skate in shows after the Games, but could see them deciding to give it more than 1 season in amateur. Della Monica has already confirmed retirement post season but I do think Matteo Gaurise will continue most likely. Atleast if he can find a decent partner.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Chock/Bates have said, I think at SkAm or around that time, that this is NOT their last season. Not sure they will go a full quad to 2026 but they're probably holding on for maybe at least one more good shot at the world title.

Sylvia

TBD
Pairs- ... Will Denney & Frazier.
This is the 2nd time you wrote "Denney" instead of Knierim ;) (IIRC, Haven did not officially announce retirement when she split with Frazier after 2020 Nationals).

ETA:
Moore Towers & Moscovitch are definitely in their final season.
Moore-Towers and Marinaro ;) both have announced this is their final season competing (guess this should go in the GSD thread).

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Dance- I think it is pretty obvious Chock & Bates will be done. This will be his 4th Olympics. If they return I will be STUNNED. I think Hubbell & Donohue are likely, although maybe not 100% for sure done.

H/D have said this is their last season. C/B have said they will be continuing.

Men- I think Nathan Chen and Hanyu are both done. Zhou is probably done by his comments. Kegan Messing has to for sure be done after this season. Uno most likely is done. Jason Brown most likely is done. Kolyada has to be done right.
Messing is undecided. He said he may have one more season in him after this.
Pairs- Tarasova & Morozov might be done, but I am not sure on them.

Vladimir said earlier this season that they have made no decisions either way yet.

Bigbird

Vladimir said earlier this season that they have made no decisions either way yet.
I hope they do as in T/M because watching them skate has been hard on my nerves not to mention theirs.

aka_gerbil

I hope they do as in T/M because watching them skate has been hard on my nerves not to mention theirs.
They’re my favorite pairs team, so I’m hoping not.

End of the day, it’s not up to fans to decide skater’s career plans. T/M have just in the last 6 months finally found a stable and supportive coaching situation. Per Brian Orser, it takes about a year and a half to resend start seeing results after a coaching change, T/M may want to see what comes of it in time.

You can always choose to just skip their performances.

Last edited:

Bigbird

They’re my favorite pairs team, so I’m hoping not.

End of the day, it’s not up to fans to decide skater’s career places. T/M have just in the last 6 months finally found a stable and supportive coaching situation. Per Brian Orser, it takes about a year and a half to resend start seeing results after a coaching change, T/M may want to see what comes of it in time.

You can always choose to just skip their performances.
True to all of this, and sincere apologies if I offended, it just seems like they're at pains to compete.

But hopefully they will retire just the same.

screech

I wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal-based dance teams staying until 2024, even if they take things lightly next season (maybe just do one GP and 4CC/Euros).
If Messing stays, I will be a bit surprised, though he may want to have one more season where he isn't also having to cope with a newborn at home (potentially being one of the causes of his not quite as good performances this year)
I'm anticipating this will be Gabby Daleman's last year.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Yes, I could see IAM teams staying for Montreal Worlds, but I wonder how they will be scored if it gets out that they don't intend to continue through 2026 Milano Cortina Games.

Bigbird

Yes, I could see IAM teams staying for Montreal Worlds, but I wonder how they will be scored if it gets out that they don't intend to continue through 2026 Milano Cortina Games.
Who's gonna spill the beans? Us?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Della Monica retires, Guarise might be looking for a new partner
Bychenko retires
Hubbell Dohahue said it's their last season and they are doing `it's our last GP in France! It's our last GPF!'
I'll take a wild guess Brezina, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin and whoever wins the ladies singles will retire.

aka_gerbil

I thought S/B said they were not thinking of retiring?

With so many likely retirements, there is opportunity for them in the next quad.

S/K seems like Nikita’s back is ready to retire.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson have said that they are staying in hopefully until 2024 Worlds in Montreal.

Yeah I was like why would they be retiring already. Why was that one person posting about all these people and teams were going to be retiring. They even said that Haven and Brandon we’re going to retire. Lol

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I think the "who retires" question will hinge on if we have Olympics or not.

If for some unforseen circumstance Beijing does not happen in 2022 those who have announced retiring at the end of season 21-22 will have second thoughts

skatingguy

decently
I'm taking all the 'this is not my/our last season' comments with a grain of salt because for most it's too early to have fully considered it, and even if they have many won't want to talk about it being their last season at every press availability. The possibility of the Olympics being postponed is probably also a factor in not wanting to talk about it - if it is postponed what do Hubbell/Donohue & Moore-Towers/Marinaro do? - do they continue after saying this is their last season? - that could be very difficult.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a good response to the inevitable question by Chock/Bates:
Though Chock, 29, and Bates, 32, realize that their competitive days will not last forever, they are not yet ready to have the curtain come down on their career, and do not expect to think about that until the season is over.
Source:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information