which level to enter

sk8r2021

If a girl has Axel, double Salchow, double Loop, and double flip, flying spins, changing foot spins, backwards spins, and lands double toeloop and double lutz about 80%, For recreational competitor, which level competition can she enter? Sorry for the confusion part. she passed Juv FS test. She and her coach are struggling with making the decision because she is turning14. Her goal is not high. She is not aiming nationals. For local ones, she was ok depending on who else was there.

Last edited:

bladesofgorey

If a girl has Axel, double Salchow, double Loop, and double flip, flying spins, changing foot spins, backwards spins, and lands double toeloop and double lutz about 80%, For recreational competitor, which level competition can she enter? She is struggling with Juv or Int.
It sounds like you are asking about USFSA competitions. I'm confused when you say "she is struggling with Juvenile or Intermediate". Which freestyle test has she passed?

The rulebook for competition levels can be found here: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/Compete USA Manual.pdf

She won't be allowed to compete at a lower level than the highest freestyle test she has passed, for "well-balanced" free skate programs she can skate up one level.

edited to add: if she has indeed already passed either Juvenile or Intermediate, refer to the regular rulebook here. Rules for singles tests and competitions start on page 179: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2022-23 Rulebook.pdf her coach should be able to advise her which competition track she should enter, but she won't be able to drop down to a lower level than her highest freestyle passed.

Last edited:

Willin

I would ask her coach. It would be extremely ill advised to enter any competition without one. Also what test level(s) is she? She cannot enter competitions without having the right tests passed. And what age? Juv has an age limit to enter.

In general, unless you're at the top (2A or above for Juvenile, one triple or more for intermediate) she won't be competitive. I'd advise Juvenile, because she would be at least slightly more competitive there. You only need a triple for the national podium at Juv, so she could be competitive(ish) at small local comps.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Sometimes comps have an Open Juvenile category too (same elements, no age limit)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
What does the skater herself want? That is the most important part IMO. Does she want to challenge herself against other competitors who might have more elements or more consistency? Or would she be more comfortable in another category with more comparable skaters? Let her decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information