WHICH DISCIPLINE DO YOU BELIEVE IS THE MOST POPULAR THESE DAYS...AND WHY?

WHICH DO YOU BELIEVE TO BE THE MOST POPULAR?

• Total voters

FSWer

Say,which Discipline does everyone here believe to be the most popular these days...and why? I think Ice-Dance is the most popular these days because the moves are so graceful,and it's also very attractive. Anybody else?

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, weā€™d both be wrong.
Men's... Yuzuru Hanyu is the current 2-time Olympic champion and I believe he has many fans. :)

Yuzu has an amazing following but there are a few rabid fans who are really tough on anyone who mentions his name (even if the intentions are good)

syzygy

Everyone at my school will literally refuse to watch anything except pairs and mens. Everything else is too boring for them.

mjb52

This definitely feels more complicated than it used to be. The ladies have always been the marquee event (although I guess the Battle of the Brians matched the Battle of the Carmens pretty well and the Yagudin/Plush era was pretty intense as well) but Hanyu seems to have changed the game a bit. I think it depends a lot on what country you are in at this point.

Now that I am thinking about it more though, do you guys think it's true that the ladies have been the main marquee event historically? Maybe I just think that because I'm in the US.

gkelly

Now that I am thinking about it more though, do you guys think it's true that the ladies have been the main marquee event historically? Maybe I just think that because I'm in the US.

I think it's safe to day that in the 1970s and 80s pairs and dance were the marquee events in the USSR. Pairs beginning with the Protopopovs in the 60s. And both continuing through the 90s in Russia, with men also on the rise in the 90s and early 2000s. Ladies not really until this century.

Ladies earlier than men in Japan -- maybe now they're about equal.

But I'd want to hear more from fans who were actually living in those countries at those times.

Also, what's most popular among the general public will not necessarily be what's most popular among serious fans.

TallyT

Ladies. Men's discipline is in an unnatural state in that Hanyu is way more loved worldwide than the rest of the men - sometimes it seems moreso than nearly all the skaters put together minus the top 3 or 4 Russian ladies - and it means competitions he is in unnaturally skew the figures. Look at the men's competitions he is not in, even with Uno and Chen, and then look at the ladies where Zagitova, the most popular, is not in. The latter definitely have more audience and most online views.

The ladies have more stars, and fans (don't forget, most of the FS audience is not in North America and is unlikely to be again very soon) will watch them before they will watch most of the men. Pairs and ice dance without V/M aren't even in the running.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information