Which competition (IJS) should we watch (and judge!) next?

Which competition (IJS) should we watch (and judge!) next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I'm definitely not going to finish mine today, but I only have the final group left to judge.

I've learned it takes a lot to impress me with spins, basically you have to be Stephane Lambiel. The footwork gets better as you get to the better skaters. Definitely a few enjoyable surprises from skaters I didn't get to watch at the time.

Watching just the SP, I would have never imagined Javier Fernandez as a future World Champion and Olympic Medalist.

Will watch the final group tomorrow.

J

Jeschke

Sorry for the delay on scores. So. Many. Slow. Endless. Footwork Sequences.
Hahaha!
2 step sequences in the short feels really weird nowadays and were not too pleasant to watch for most of the programs/skaters , I agree!

Marco

Attention
Good news! I have all SP scores. So enough time to calculate and edit the video so we can have a WatchParty for the Short Program next weekend (likely Saturday).

Save the date and stay tuned! :D

Please tell me I don't have the most outrageous scores? (which I can defend)

kwanatic

Doing GOE and PCS can be a bit daunting at first but you get used to paying attention to things like skating skills and transitions while the person is performing. Things like choreo and interpretation stick out throughout the performance as well. Making notes is a good way to keep up with what the skater is doing.

I enjoyed judging and I'm really interested to see where everyone ended up. I might go back and calculate the top scores to see where I had everyone.

I definitely feel as though my PCS for some turned out higher than what the judges gave. I'm not one to give out a bunch of 9s all willy-nilly but I do think some of the men were underscored. I think my highest PCS went to Takahasi--I mean, OMG, was that man a performer or what?! His performance was electric. I think I only gave 9s in SS to 3 skaters (Chan, Takahashi and Kozuka) and high 8s to a couple (Oda, Lysacek and Abbott), one 8.5 and everyone else was in the 8.25 range or lower.

I have no idea where everyone ended up but I can't wait to find out. I won't be able to do the watch party this weekend but hopefully I'll be around for the FS one. :)

RoseRed

I got used to doing the GOE pretty quickly (well, the jumps and steps at least - not sure I ever figured out the spins), but the PCS was a bit harder. I think that was affected more by me doing it in multiple sittings. I feel fine about the scores I gave to the individual skaters, but I'm not sure it'll end up quite how I would have ranked them.

C

casken

Since most of the programs had the three required jumps back to back at the top of the program followed by the rest of the elements with not much in between, I scored the majority of the field in the 3s to low 5s on Transitions. I didn't go much higher on Composition either. I only marked a handful of skaters above that.

I'm pretty sure Kozuka will be the skater I marked most above what the actual panel did. He was so good here!

J

Jeschke

I feel fine about the scores I gave to the individual skaters, but I'm not sure it'll end up quite how I would have ranked them.
I like that about IJS though. If done correctly (whatever that means), it could be a really fair thing.
There were programs/skates I absolutely enjoyed but if you do GOE and PCS step by step for each category, they might end up not as high as you want them (Borodulin :drama: ). The other way around skates/program can end up pretty high without really soaking you in.

rosetintmyworld

Definitely agree with the sentiment that it was easier to judge GOE vs PCS, but it is surprising that I only a vague idea of how my scores translated into placements because I ended up focusing on the quality of elements without much thought to the base tech value. So I can claim some innocence when our benevolent bossman informed me that I was the odd judge out on an otherwise unanimous decision whereas I figured the tech score would sink said skater.
In short, PCS boosting is a bit of a delicate artform it seems. :puppet:

Marco

Finally done with my scores for the men's free skate. Apologies for the delay.

How are the other judges coming along? Or am I the last one? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information