What will Pairs field look like in 2018-19?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Probably done- Duhamel/Radford, Lubov/Dylan, Stolbova/Klimov, Yu/Zhang, Marchei/Hotarek

Top 4- Savchenko/Massot?, James/Cipres?, Tarasova/Morozov, Sui/Han
Rest of top 10- Zabijako/Enbert?, Knierims?, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Peng/Jin, Seguin/Bilodeau, DM/Guarise

Please feel free to let me know the error of my ways....

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I suspect the Knierims will retire. Sav/Mass? It depends on what happens in Korea.

s_parks

Crazy as it is, Zhang has stated he wants to go to '22 olympics. Will depend on his injuries/fitness though.

clairecloutier

Actually, James/Cipres have said this will be their last Olympics. But that they may continue for one more year after this. https://goldenskate.com/2017/05/vanessa-james-and-morgan-cipres/

I think it's really hard to predict now the situation next year. Some top pairs are undecided about next year due to funding, injury, or general fitness/motivation concerns, while others are, I think, waiting to decide based partly on results in the next 2 months. So it's just too soon to know.

GreenGan

Interview of early october 2017 (in french) : http://www.passion-patinage.com/201...vanessa-et-morgan-cest-notre-derniere-saison/

Vanessa : Logiquement cette saison est notre dernière. Tout pourrait bien sûr changer, mais le plus logique est qu’on s’arrête. Je viens de fêter mes 30 ans il y a quelques jours ! Et quand on voit le niveau qu’ont maintenant des patineurs comme Lola et Andreï, on se dit que la relève est là.

Morgan : Ce n’est jamais évident de savoir quand arrêter. On essaye de rester lucide : d’un côté on sent qu’on n’a jamais autant aussi bons dans notre patinage, mais de l’autre on ne veut pas faire la saison de trop. Et les années commencent à se faire sentir… Si la fédération m’offre un million d’euros pour continuer je rempile ! Mais bon, plus sérieusement, la fin de cette saison nous semble être le bon timing.

Translation :
Vanessa :logically this season is our last. All could change of course but the most reasonnable thing is to stop. I just got 30 ! And when you look at the next pair skater (Esbrat/Novoselov), you know they will take over well.

Morgan : It's never easy to know when you have to stop. We know that we've never skated that good but we don't want to do the extra-season that doesn't bring anything. And we're not young anymore. If USFS offers 1 million euros, of course I continue! But seriously the end of this season seems like the right timing.

It's a "probably" more than a made decision but I still wouldn't count them for the 2018-2022 season ;)

Scrufflet

Probably done- Duhamel/Radford, Lubov/Dylan, Stolbova/Klimov, Yu/Zhang, Marchei/Hotarek

Top 4- Savchenko/Massot?, James/Cipres?, Tarasova/Morozov, Sui/Han
Rest of top 10- Zabijako/Enbert?, Knierims?, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Peng/Jin, Seguin/Bilodeau, DM/Guarise

Please feel free to let me know the error of my ways....
Moore-Towers/Marinaro!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
haha thanks, edited. That is one name that just does not roll off the tongue the same way for some reason

slipchuk

Banned Member
I am almost certain Savchenko & Massot will continue. If they dont win the OGM it is for certain they try for 2022 IMO. Even if they do win I think they will continue atleast a couple years.

Duhamel & Radford, James & Cipres, Scierims, I think are done. Not sure on Stolbova & Klimov, with declining results and technical ability even when they skate well I am not sure if they can find the motivation to continue but I hope they do. I think He Zhang plans to continue although god knows why.

ssminnow

At this point Zhang continuing is only holding Chinese pairs skating back. One of the country's pair spots will go to him whether deserved or not, and the lovely Yu cannot reach her true potential with him.

slipchuk

Banned Member
I totally agree on Zhang, but unfortunately I dont think Bin Yao and Hongbo Zhao do. They think he is the greatest talent ever in the sport and is destined for the ultimate greatness he has not yet achieved (eg- Olympic and World titles) and if he isnt getting it, it is either through corrupt judging, or the girls fault. They cant see what the rest of the world already sees, his career peaked with the wonderful Dan Zhang from 2004-2009, who was the best match possible for him when he was at his physical peak, and he won an Olympic silver and many other medals; and that was even with complaints from many of overscoring back then. Now as an old man, pushing 40 or something, still physically strong and able to throw and lift and jump fairly well, but slower, duller, and more devoid of any personality or presentation or sparkle than ever, he is not going to exceed those heights with anyone, no matter how much politicks they put behind him, or how many young females careers they wreck or promising partnerships they break up in trying.

slipchuk

Banned Member
Zhang is never going to win a major title. Lets be real here. And unless he is fortunate enough to be in an extreme splatfest of the worst kind he will probably not be on a World or Olympic podium again. He couldnt even win a major title (not even a Grand Prix final) in his physical prime which is now LONG past, and when he had atleast a slightly engaging personality on the ice rather than being a stiffer version of Lurch from the Addams Family. So yes, if young girls are being paired with him, and promising partnerships are being broken up, and up and coming teams are being held back just to politik for overscoring for He Zhang, to provide He Zhang with new partners, etc...he is indeed holding Chinese pairs skating back.

RoseRed

I suspect the Knierims will retire. Sav/Mass? It depends on what happens in Korea.
I think the Knierims said something earlier this season that implied they would keep going. I don't remember exactly, maybe when they announced they had dropped the Chaplin program. I think they said it would be back, in a way that seemed like they meant next season in competition. And when they were talking about what US pairs have to do to improve internationally, it sounded like they wanted to continue, but who knows what they'll end up doing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I surely hope Stolbova/Klimov continue...

If Fedor cannot continue due to injuries, I hope Ksenia can find a good partner and continues to skate pairs. She has had injuries too but not as many as Fedor. I think there is still skating left in her.

clairecloutier

I think the Knierims said something earlier this season that implied they would keep going. I don't remember exactly, maybe when they announced they had dropped the Chaplin program. I think they said it would be back, in a way that seemed like they meant next season in competition. And when they were talking about what US pairs have to do to improve internationally, it sounded like they wanted to continue, but who knows what they'll end up doing.

Yes, Chris said that at U.S. Classic. That they would save the Chaplin LP for next year. Of course, plans can always change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information