What is the worst figure skating meltdown in history in the "Kiss and Cry" area?

caseyedwards

Probably shouldn’t count if a skater is in horrible pain like Josh Farris but it was a kiss and cry moment to remember.

Japanfan

As far as K&C moments that caused a meltdown on FSU even if they wouldn't be classified as meltdowns on their own*, Scott Moir's comment at the 2012 WTT has to be on the list.

*To be honest, I'm surprised there wasn't more of an outcry within the skating community calling for Moir to publicly apologize in order to avoid being censured or getting, at least, a temporary ban from the sport. This was one of the most egregious examples of foul and degrading language I've ever seen, either in or out of skating. If I was a skating coach and one of my students made a comment like that at an international event, I'd immediately kick them out of my rink and method.

I didn't catch the comment - what was it? Just guessing, it might have been FFS.

KaitlynB123

Banned Member
I'm thinking that if Deanna Stellato and Nathanial Bartholomay skated together for one more season and the programs didn't go well, I bet there would have been some physical violence in that "Kiss and Cry".

anonymoose_au

In my opinion a "meltdown" is when someone's performance is generally OK, but they throw a dramatic hissy fit when they don't think they got the marks they deserved. Or when they act nasty toward their partner or their coach(es). There are several good examples of those already cited in this thread

One that sticks out to me is Artur Dmitrev Jnr in Russian Nationals one time, he had a poor skate and Mishin went to put a hand on his arm and Artur yanked away and looked like he wanted to punch Mishin in the face! I was like WTF?! Calm down, kid!

Japanfan

After he and Tessa got their scores in the KnC, the cameras caught Scott saying "Oh my God, I hate this event."

:D

IMO a little honesty once in a while is refreshing. I prefer it to the politically correct, sanitized comments that skaters usually make in interviews (i.e. "I just want to have fun out there!

clairecloutier

Didn't James and Cipres have a fairly legendary barney in the kiss-and-cry once? I think Cup of Tyrol one year not long before they broke out.

There was also Skate America 2016, when Morgan stormed out of the K&C, leaving Vanessa there alone with one of their coaches.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Karen Preston in 1994 Canadians is the most heartbreaking for me. Generally, those skaters who did a good job but not a good enough job tend to make me the saddest.

I saw that event live and in person. It was a brilliant competition in all four categories.

As the last skater in contention for the second Olympic berth, Karen threw everything into her performance. It was that close between her and Susan Humphreys, and unfortunate that they both skated to selections from Swan Lake.

When Karen burst into tears, knowing that her Olympic dreams had vanished, the cameras capturing her reaction were literally inches from her face, too.

The skater I was really cheering for was Tanya Bingert, who finished just off the podium in fourth. She skated a fantastic short, and if she had held it together in the free, silver would most likely have been hers for the taking.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Remember that one time that skater FROWNED? It was HORRIFIC.

I don't remember either, but it was AWFUL. I also have zero examples to support my claim.

According to Debbie Wilkes' book, Ice Time, Lloyd was known to throw chairs backstage after a bad skate.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I don't remember either, but it was AWFUL. I also have zero examples to support my claim.

One example was at a Landover in the 90s when Eisler and partner competed in drag and had a simple showy program without much skating content. (Bechke/Petrov skated to You Don't Bring Me Flowers in a very detailed program choreographically) Eisler gave the F.U. arm gesture and left the K/C after saying "I don't give a rat's ass". That's one.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
C

casken

One example was at a Landover in the 90s when Eisler and partner competed in drag and had a simple showy program without much skating content. (Bechke/Petrov skated to You Don't Bring Me Flowers in a very detailed program choreographically) Eisler gave the F.U. arm gesture and left the K/C after saying "I don't give a rat's ass". That's one.

Yup. That flip off was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread. :lol:

puglover

It amazes me how controlled K&C moments really are. An occasional four letter word here and there and negative body language but figure skating coaches seem mostly understanding and compassionate and help the skater hold it together - at least while the cameras are rolling. My youngest daughter did a bit of figure skating and then switched to show jumping. Often after a bad ride we would joke about being glad she did not need to sit beside her coach in a K&C. Very different mindset for coaching.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
That is the only video proof (and this is the performance) I could find, we see him very quickly at the beginning flipping off the judges but the interview is also refreshingly non politically correct :rofl:

mjb52

The music and the Zamboni on that Hurtado/Diaz really add to the drama. I feel sort of badly for the skaters being caught on video in moments like this but I guess we all have our moments where our emotions get the best of us!

ldec

There are so many. My example wasn’t crying though. In general, I enjoyed Maria Butrskaya’s flippent reactions. She would pretend to not care, take off her skates and not look, Nagano she halfway looked and kept walking, wagged her finger in 2001 and ended her career at 2002 Worlds QR by not even stopping at the Kiss N Cry.

For instance, she was so unhappy with her performance here at the 1994 Goodwill Games she didn't even bother showing up in the KnC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkgIqmuul4A

cmk

Nicole Bobek also had a few crying moments in the kiss and cry after bad skates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information