What Exercise Are You Doing, Rather Than Skating?

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Since most/many ice rinks are now closed, what are you doing for exercise? I've started running again. I found I hate running in winter, so I'd stopped some time in January. But now it's sort of spring, kind of.

GarrAargHrumph

My ice dance coach is holding off ice classes. We had the first one via Zoom today.

ETA: :lol: I just replied to myself.

Last edited:

gkelly

Went for a walk with my sister on Sunday and again this evening. We'll probably do this once or more per week.

She loves long walks. I don't mind them if the terrain and weather are reasonable and they're not too long.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
  • 30 minute high-energy dance session (dance like nobody's watching!)
  • A basic strength training circuit that lasts about 15-20 minutes
  • 30 minutes of deep stretch

And I wrap it up with foam rolling and a little guided meditation.

Clarice

I’m walking, doing elliptical in my basement, and practicing ballet and belly dance as best I can. I broke out my PIC skates yesterday, and want to get my spinner out today.

livetoskate

I was hoping to use a rowing machine and run out in my neighborhood at night. But my kids are out of school & I'm trying to work from home. So exercise consists of fetching food, sweeping crumbs off the floor, doing laundry, hiking up stairs, vacuuming & scrubbing the bathrooms. One of these days, I'd like to re-watch old DVDs of Grand Prix competitions from 10-15 years ago. I miss skating!

GarrAargHrumph

I started running again, and today, my kid went with me. So for right now, it's running and the occasional virtual off-ice class.

It looks like a lot of people have started running:

Last edited:

GarrAargHrumph

If anyone is interested in the adult focused off ice class I'm doing, it's via Zoom, and it's run by Igor Lukanin, who you may remember. He does something different each class (for example, tonight's focus is ballet, yesterday's was arms). The classes are $10 per class, they're about 30 minutes long or longer, they are held at about 6/6:15pm eastern time, several nights per week. You can take one class per week or several, as you wish. If interested, send me a PM so I can get your contact details, so Igor can add you to the list/class invite.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Once I start working from home properly I'm going to be going for outdoor walks at lunchtime to make sure I leave the house, in addition to my normal afternoon treadmill walk. If I head in the right direction I can go places where there won't be many people. #socialdistancing

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If anyone is interested in the adult focused off ice class I'm doing, it's via Zoom, and it's run by Igor Lukanin, who you may remember. He does something different each class (for example, tonight's focus is ballet, yesterday's was arms). The classes are $10 per class, they're about 30 minutes long or longer, they are held at about 6/6:15pm eastern time, several nights per week. You can take one class per week or several, as you wish. If interested, send me a PM so I can get your contact details, so Igor can add you to the list/class invite.

How can we pay for the classes?

GarrAargHrumph

I'm taking Lukanin's class and also rolling on Pic Skates.

I've only made it to two of Igor's classes so far, but next week should be better.

How are the Pic Skates? Are they very similar to ice skates, or more like quad/roller skates?

I'm tempted by them, but they are very expensive, and I fear they may not work out. They're a lot of money to risk.

How can we pay for the classes?

We're paying via Venmo.

eonice

How are the Pic Skates? Are they very similar to ice skates, or more like quad/roller skates?

I'm tempted by them, but they are very expensive, and I fear they may not work out. They're a lot of money to risk.

After 4 sessions, here's what I've got so far: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ECECbpeZf/

They do take getting used to. It feels like you're skating through tar at first, and the turns require more effort and precision. It's still a good option and I would recommend. You can save by just buying the frame set and sticking them onto an old pair of boots yourself (they don't have to be positioned as a precisely as a blade).

GarrAargHrumph

After 4 sessions, here's what I've got so far: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ECECbpeZf/

They do take getting used to. It feels like you're skating through tar at first, and the turns require more effort and precision. It's still a good option and I would recommend. You can save by just buying the frame set and sticking them onto an old pair of boots yourself (they don't have to be positioned as a precisely as a blade).

Thanks. And oh, hi! I know you in real life. I skate at Floyd. Which version of the frame set or boots did you get?

eonice

Which version of the frame set or boots did you get?

I went with the 994 frame set. Even though I'm used to the shortness of a dance blade, I figured it would just be more comfortable and easier to make the transition with the extra stability of the freestyle frame. For now I would say it was definitely the right choice.

concorde

I am walking our 6-month old puppy alot. Talk about a workout since she goes every which way on the leash and is terrified of all grates.

Starting this past Tuesday, my puppy and I have started walking to our rink (PSC & HS which is a member owned rink). We circle the rink to makes sure no one is bothering it and also pick up trash. If the weather is ok this weekend, I will probably do some spring gardening cleanup there.

viennese

wrecked
I bought a rowing machine, the same model that they have at my gym. It arrived last night.
I'm also joining workouts via Zoom with my crossfit coach.
Walking around my eerily deserted neighborhood, too.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
My tribal style bellydance teacher has also been kind enough to start sending video classes by level since she had to cancel the face-to-face classes. So far, I have almost a 45-minute workout, it's wonderful.

GarrAargHrumph

I want a treadmill, but we don't have room for one. I'm looking at a folding exercise bike. Nothing that I'd use to get a serious workout on, but just something I'd use to move when I'm feeling sedentary and can't go outside. This is the one I'm looking at:
Folds Up, Seat Has A Back

gkelly

Walking back and forth on my balcony in various patterns. Walking through my skating programs on the balcony.

Z

ZilphaK

Hiking. Lots of hiking and fishing (which is sort of the opposite of exercise ;).)

I was going to buy my son Pic blades, but I'm not sure rollerblading is the way to go right now. There is a learning curve and skating not-on-ice and falling is very different. Right now is not the time to need to go to urgent care or the emergency room, at least not in our neck of the woods. I'd even be very cautious with off-ice jumps. I've seen some coaches teaching off-ice jump technique via video to new skaters, and to me, this is asking for a whole lot of trouble.

fan

Holy crap. I could not imagine doing brackets on the ground. Great job!

GarrAargHrumph

Igor publishes their schedule of online classes for the week here, for those interested:

mjb52

I'm doing a twenty minute ballet workout with a friend and I look RIDICULOUS I have no idea what I'm doing but it's fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information