What Annoys You? Pet Peeves and Worse....

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Well, unlike "me and my friend" (as a subject) it's grammatically correct.

I hate people who multitask while driving. Just f*cking drive before you cause an accident, people.
Where I live, phoning or texting while driving is the norm, and of course, these idiots keep drifting out of their lane onto yours or abruptly change direction without signaling so absorbed are they in their little world.

Japanfan

I think you're missing my point. Which utensils did you grow up with? From a purely functional perspective, a big soup spoon would be the most practical for rice. A spoon in the right hand, and a spatula in the left.

:D Spoon and spatula versus two chopsticks

But it's a functional utensil, and in some cases more so than a knife and fork - especially for picking up small bits of food.

And I find chopsticks fine for rice as well, you can pick up a mouthful of rice with them. I prefer them to a big spoon, which I would find cumbersome in comparison.

Maybe you just need to practice using chopsticks a bit more. There in no turning back, once you've got the hang of it.;)

If you live in a big city, chopsticks might be considered an alternative utensil. In a little cowtown like mine, I see it as a sign of pseudosophistication.

Millions of rural Chinese people use chopsticks. There is nothing sophisticated about them. Knife, fork and spoon are actually more sophisticated than chopsticks.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Where I live, phoning or texting while driving is the norm, and of course, these idiots keep drifting out of their lane onto yours or abruptly change direction without signaling so absorbed are they in their little world.

It's the norm where I live, too. I don't drive, but the simple act of crossing the street can be hazardous if the "driver" of an oncoming car is looking down at their phone instead of the road ahead.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It's the norm where I live, too. I don't drive, but the simple act of crossing the street can be hazardous if the "driver" of an oncoming car is looking down at their phone instead of the road ahead.
I just noticed your quote about vodka being a salad, excellent :rofl:

vesperholly

I view Americans using chopsticks in an Asian restaurant as (usually) an earnest attempt to experience the culture - especially if it's a sit-down restaurant that automatically gives them to you. Like when I am traveling internationally, I try to use the country's language instead of assuming everyone speaks English. I'm terribly uncoordinated with chopsticks but I'll give it a try. When in Rome!

Now, someone trying to eat a hamburger with chopsticks would be completely pretentious. :lol:

Johnny_Fever

..........Millions of rural Chinese people use chopsticks. There is nothing sophisticated about them. Knife, fork and spoon are actually more sophisticated than chopsticks.
Sorry Swee'Pea. You're missing the point again. ;) I'm talking about American wannabes, not rural Chinese.

Artemis@BC

^ Maybe you can be a little clearer, then, about what your point actually is. Why is it okay for North American Caucasians to eat Chinese food with chopsticks if they're urban, but not in small towns?

I grew up in a teeny tiny town with exactly 3 Chinese families, but that didn't stop me and all of my friends from eating with chopsticks when we ate at the Chinese restaurant. Or got takeout from same.

While you're at it, why not rail at Americans for eating their sushi with soy sauce and wasabi -- that's just so pretentious, since all Americans eat everything with ketchup.

quartz

scratching at the light
I've tried chopsticks, but I am just not a coordinated person. So I don't care about Chinese Japanese America Canadian Urban Rural whatever. :rolleyes:
My main objective is to keep as much food out of my cleavage as possible.
Give me a fork and let me eat.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am frequently witnessing situation where person A drives a car and gives a way to person B. Person B may be crossing the road, or he/she may be driving another car and person A allows her to join the road from a side road, anyway, the point is, person A does a small favour to the person B. Person B forgets his/her good upbringing and doesn't say thank you/doesn't flash the light or doesn't acknowledge the goodwill gesture from person A. At that moment person A change completely from the well behaved/polite person into a wild person screaming loudly THANK YOU, YOU MORON and bitching about how badly behaved person B is and that they don't have class...

I thought a person behaves politely to others because of themselves, not to get reward in form of 'thank you'. The fact that someone doesn't display good manners doesn't mean that the other person have to drop on their level and try to be as rude as them, in order to educate them. The weird thing is, I never observed this in my previous country, but in this country it seems to be the norm. People let willingly other drivers join a queue of cares from a side road, or let a pedestrian cross the road, but God help the latter one if he/she doesn't acknowledge this action. I can't help it, but it really gets on my nerves when a person A 'loses it' because of some little thing like that someone didn't say thank you. (And that person A, that's not always the same person. I am observing this behaviour from my husband, from my colleagues, from my friends)

leesaleesa

There is a new law in Florida which prohibits shameless pooping. I wrote an email to Rick Scott expressing my distaste, and he passed it into law. Thanks, Rick!

twinsissv

Gee! I wish we could see more coverage of Rhythmic Gymnastics in televised sports programming. It seems so unfair to these athletes.
These young ladies must work really hard to master those clubs, ribbons, balls and hoops. They deserve to be seen in more than just
'limited' coverage at the Olympics.

Marlowe

People who smoke outside in public spaces - beaches, parking lots, sidewalks.

People who have a cell phone plugged into their ear at all times.

The phrases "the fact of the matter is" "the truth of the matter is" "threw him/her/it/them under the bus" "at this moment in time"

People who talk on cell phones as if no one else is in the store, the van, the train car, the restaurant, the public restroom, the theatre, the plane, the bus, etc.

People who interrupt your visit and stop being present - at dinner, in the middle of a conversation, in a meeting - because their cell phone is ringing: "sorry, I have to take this." And suddenly you might as well not be there. In fact, getting up and leaving isn't such a bad idea!

People who don't use their turn signals. (lazy bums!)

People who talk (or whisper) during movies and plays.

People chewing gum.

Robo calls

Marlowe

I have a new one: people who have conversations at normal volume on a long-haul flight when it is exceedingly obvious that the rows around them are asleep (or trying to be so). For heaven's sake, at least whisper, please! Then at least I don't have to be woken up by your conspiracy theories!

I splurged and bought a pair of Bose sound eliminating earbuds - they are fabulous! Light weight, compact, and they work.

Artemis@BC

Bumping this up partly for a new peeve (well, reminder of an old one) and partly because people keep dumping "pet peeves" into the "unpopular opinions" thread. Not the same thing, people! (ok, that's another peeve :p)

So, I was reminded of this yesterday: people who come to a dead stop at the top (or bottom) of an escalator. Completely oblivious to the fact that there are more people coming up behind them who have nowhere to go because they're blocking.

It happens on elevators too but at least there you can stay inside the elevator long enough to say "excuse me." But on an escalator it's a friggin' hazard!

judiz

How about people who come to a dead stop in the middle of the mall or sidewalk blocking people from walking past?

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Bumping this up partly for a new peeve (well, reminder of an old one) and partly because people keep dumping "pet peeves" into the "unpopular opinions" thread. Not the same thing, people! (ok, that's another peeve :p)

So, I was reminded of this yesterday: people who come to a dead stop at the top (or bottom) of an escalator. Completely oblivious to the fact that there are more people coming up behind them who have nowhere to go because they're blocking.

It happens on elevators too but at least there you can stay inside the elevator long enough to say "excuse me." But on an escalator it's a friggin' hazard!

I totally get this and understand your frustration...but I fear I *am* that person. Escalators terrify me, and even though I am in my 30s, I am still sure it is going to grow teeth and eat me and I always pause momentarily, overcome with unreasonable fear. I didn't say it was rational, and it's probably not the reason for everyone, but it is for me.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
One of my newest pet peeves, when someone tells me that I will like their pet because they are a people pet.

I may or may not "like" your pet. You don't see the severe allergic reactions I have. Anywhere from respiratory distress, requiring breathing treatments and oral steroids, to minor skin rashes, sneezing, allergic eye symptoms. So, no don't expect me to pet or hold your dog or cat.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
@once_upon , what kind of insane pet owner pressures others to pet their furry child? I'm appalled by this. I spend most of my time trying to get people to NOT touch the Gatsby. No, your children cannot pet my dog. No, I don't care if all dogs just loooooove you. No, I don't care if you have a dog. You don't know MY dog, and I don't know YOU. Go away.

You don't know how a dog will react to an unfamiliar person, and occasionally, a fairly familiar person. You don't know how a slightly different smell, glasses, hats, a sudden movement will affect your pet.

Karina1974

One of my newest pet peeves, when someone tells me that I will like their pet because they are a people pet.

OR when they let their dogs off-leash and then start calling "Don't worry, he's friendly" when the dog starts running over to me. There's a cemetery near my job where I used to walk during my lunch hour (because some parts of it are like walking on a woodsy path), but too many people use it like a dog park in spite of the signs saying "all dogs must be leashed."

Dude, I don't know your dog and your dog doesn't know me. I don't know if your dog is rushing me because he is trying to protect you from some stranger, or if he just wants to meet a new person. And I really do not want to be put in the position of having to find that out.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
How about letting each person at any restaurant of any (or no) ethnic heritage choose whatever socially acceptable method of consuming food served there in a manner which is comfortable for that person - in order to avoid unnecessary stress which might interfere with the person's dining experience?

Artemis@BC

I totally get this and understand your frustration...but I fear I *am* that person. Escalators terrify me, and even though I am in my 30s, I am still sure it is going to grow teeth and eat me and I always pause momentarily, overcome with unreasonable fear. I didn't say it was rational, and it's probably not the reason for everyone, but it is for me.

I'm sorry that's a phobia for you, that must be very stressful.

But I'm talking about the people who stop at the end of the escalator -- so at the top of an up escalator, or the bottom of a down one. Effectively blocking everyone behind them from getting. I can understand trepidation in getting on the thing, but is there really fear in getting off? And not even the slight hesitation in timing the dismount, that's understandable -- they successfully get off the thing, then just stand there. It's like "oh, now I have to use my own feet to move, which way do I want to go?"

It's worse than the people who come to a dead stop in the middle of a sidewalk, because it's potentially dangerous. I actually had a serious wipe-out at the airport a couple of years when this happened, since it made me trip over my suitcase because we had nowhere to go. Big bruise, much pain.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
@once_upon , what kind of insane pet owner pressures others to pet their furry child? I'm appalled by this. I spend most of my time trying to get people to NOT touch the Gatsby. No, your children cannot pet my dog. No, I don't care if all dogs just loooooove you. No, I don't care if you have a dog. You don't know MY dog, and I don't know YOU. Go away.

You don't know how a dog will react to an
person, and occasionally, a fairly familiar person. You don't know how a slightly different smell, glasses, hats, a sudden movement will affect your pet.

It's more when the pet approaches me and wants to be playful. And the owners encourage the pet to play with me.

twinsissv

I will be one happy viewer when MSNBC finally realizes that it is possible to do a live remote shot in NYC without having that Trump Tower in the background. (I'M BEGINNING TO FEEL LIKE THE DOORMAN IS A PERSONAL FRIEND). The shine from all of that so-called "gold" is getting to be too much! Imagine that...excessive gilt without any guilt!
Why not move to a live shot in front of Lady Liberty, MSNBC?
Then we could play that woman card and that 'Lady' card. :D

Last edited:

twinsissv

Besides..."I lift my lamp beside the golden door" means a "great deal" more than...I lift my mike before the golden tower. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information