Welcome back Mr. Takahashi, we missed you!

Spartacus

Daisuke’s second place FS:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tWEuK26mnkk

I hope this means we will be seeing him at 4CC and worlds!
Nope and what a bulls*it reason for not going. :rolleyes:

Daisuke Takahashi, who finished second in the men′s event, was invited to join the World team but declined the offer. ″Honestly, I am awfully lost. I want to go Saitama but I could not have prepared my mind to fight the world and should not go out without being prepared,″ the 32-year-old said. ″I feel that the need for younger athletes to gain experience is greater in order to boost skating in Japan, so I declined.″

tamms

Nope and what a bulls*it reason for not going. :rolleyes:

Daisuke Takahashi, who finished second in the men′s event, was invited to join the World team but declined the offer. ″Honestly, I am awfully lost. I want to go Saitama but I could not have prepared my mind to fight the world and should not go out without being prepared,″ the 32-year-old said. ″I feel that the need for younger athletes to gain experience is greater in order to boost skating in Japan, so I declined.″

...so he should still take that spot on the Worlds team even though he's clearly saying he's not ready? :rolleyes:

Spun Silver

...so he should still take that spot on the Worlds team even though he's clearly saying he's not ready? :rolleyes:
I have mixed feelings. Clearly the other Japanese men are even less ready. And he would have had several months to get ready for Worlds....

But it's his decision, and a classy one. I think coming away with a silver medal is more than he hoped for, and definitely the best he could have done as far as placements go, so all congratulations to him. Do we know whether he will continue next season, or was his goal just this one last Nationals?

alj5

I don't think he ever really wanted to go beyond nationals. I mean he probably wasn't sure he'd make it onto the podium, but even then I think his goal this whole season has just been nationals.

I wish he would go to 4Cs or worlds, but I was just happy to see him skate and be competitive.

tamms

I have mixed feelings. Clearly the other Japanese men are even less ready. And he would have had several months to get ready for Worlds....

But it's his decision, and a classy one. I think coming away with a silver medal is more than he hoped for, and definitely the best he could have done as far as placements go, so all congratulations to him. Do we know whether he will continue next season, or was his goal just this one last Nationals?

It would be great to see him at Worlds but he doesn't sound confident enough to risk the spot in case things don't go well.

He mentioned he plans to continue.

ilovepaydays

I am so unbelievably happy about how well he did at Nationals! :D His SP will probably be my favorite of this season - by a lot!

I understand why (especially with his jump content right now) he would turn down Worlds. But I thought he might have accepted 4CCs - but I’m not sure if he could have had the international TES in time.

I do hope that if he wants to continue, the JSF will give him some assignments - either Challenger series or something lower.

Spartacus

So he decided to make a comeback, trained for months, competed at NATIONALS... but it never crossed his mind the entire time that he'd actually make the world team? Ya... :rolleyes:

tamms

So he decided to make a comeback, trained for months, competed at NATIONALS... but it never crossed his mind the entire time that he'd actually make the world team? Ya... :rolleyes:

Feel free to read up on his interviews leading up to Nats. I think you'll find the answer to your question there. Or on page 1 of this thread where he says he thinks he'll make it to top 6 at Nats.

Spartacus

Feel free to read up on his interviews leading up to Nats. I think you'll find the answer to your question there. Or on page 1 of this thread where he says he thinks he'll make it to top 6 at Nats.
Ohhh I see. Apologies. :shuffle:

ostile17

Spun Silver

Sounds like he might never go back to Worlds? :(
I don't read it that way. He is undecided about next season but if he does continue he should be better prepared physically and mentally if he gets the chance to go to Worlds. I don't think he has ruled it out. Of course he would be racing against the clock.

Btw, I love the Krone ex. Daisuke expresses so much so economically. The costume is wonderful and adds a Kabuki-like dimension as well as the medieval warrior touch that was probably more the intention. At least it reminded me of his work with the Kabuki troupe.

nimi

New Sponichi Sports article says he intends to compete next season! Maybe even internationally! :cheer2:

Summary in English via twitter (https://twitter.com/iguana012/status/1084003647338565633)
Dai confirmed he will continue competing next season. Goal is Nationals, so he will prob start with Regionals again. Would like to have a quad in the SP and a quad in the FS. If JSF allows, he will consider doing a Challenger event. He hasn't thought about GP assignments at all.
He's also thinking about maybe going for the 4S at some point, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information