WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

Mad for Skating

At the moment it looks like they've got top spot locked up for the next quad, which to me makes ice dance less interesting. Especially since I'm not a P/C uber. But even so, I always enjoy skating more when there is actual competition.

At the moment only H/D can possibly rival P/C but they have work to do before

Rooting, not waiting, and remembering all the times that skaters have surprised me.

:D

I’m not a P/C uber myself. Their skating is nice but their free dances all look vaguely the same to me, whereas WeaPo keep reinventing themselves every year.

I love their perserverance and work ethic they have 2 stunning programs this year, their FD is the best work they have ever done even better than je suis malade, the judges will not be able to deny them at worlds, they might even win I feel the French will struggle under the new goe system , Guillaume has already injured his back doing harder lifts.

We will wait and see! The judges have heavily supported Papadakis/Cizeron for a long time, but I’m open to a shakeup this season!
But honey, WeaPo always get denied by the judges no matter how good they are. It’s the way of the world.

Spun Silver

To be honest, they were the second thing I thought if when I saw G/P's Starry Night. The first was, What a wonderful program. The second was, Oh no. Not again! :wall: Hope I'm wrong!

lauravvv

Spun Silver - Yes, programs matter quite a lot in ice dance, but there is still the skating and the technical elements. Currently W/P remain the better skaters, and I think that international judges can see that. As for the technical elements - well that's in their own hands. Finally, W/P's programs are not bad at all. Their tango RD is excellent, and their FD, while probably not quite as interesting and memorable (even despite the moving music and message) as G/P's, is still beautiful.

IloveFS

If P/C were to be beaten I actually wouldn't mind it being W/P. I love both dances this year.
I'm hoping for a P/C W/P S/B world podium !

As much as I love W/P, I don't think that they can beat P/C because of their technical skills. However, W/P are much better performers than P/C. I also like W/P's versatility!! They can do a waltz and a tango... Not sure that P/C have the same range!

Spun Silver

Spun Silver - Yes, programs matter quite a lot in ice dance, but there is still the skating and the technical elements. Currently W/P remain the better skaters, and I think that international judges can see that. As for the technical elements - well that's in their own hands. Finally, W/P's programs are not bad at all. Their tango RD is excellent, and their FD, while probably not quite as interesting and memorable (even despite the moving music and message) as G/P's, is still beautiful.
ITA about WeaPo's new programs. It's just that the excitement around Starry Night reminds me of the excitement around the Shibs' Fix You. It became a wave that the audience reaction, skaters and judges were all caught up in. Anyway I hope WeaPo come back strong at Canadians and 4CCs and get their own wave going.

Mad for Skating

I like Gilles/Poirier, but tbh their FD isn’t working for me. I know it’s a beautiful tribute to her mom, but give me back their blue tango!

yurokis40

looks like weapo are looking good for the national title , with G&P not qualifying for gpf, they still remain Canada's best hope for a world medal so far the sd scores with the exception of the French is beatable , Kaitlyn weaver is amazing at the tango girl knows how to sell it, the fd looks great too the new softness in their skating is very noticeable they look very light on the ice.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Well this thread needs a bump! Cause they Are now 3 time Canadian Champs!! Beautiful programs, love that FD and that RD was spectacular! No one did the Tango Romantica as beautifully as they did. Romantic indeed! So glad to see them back in competition but that tour did wonders, they are the best they've ever been, truly skate as one, so fluid, so lovely. Worthy champions!!

Mad for Skating

I’m so proud! The rhythm dance was as smooth as a dream, and the free dance gave me chills! They honestly look faster and smoother than ever.

I almost cried when I realized they skated their free dance as a tribute to Denis exactly 6 months after his passing. That had to be so hard, but they managed so well.

Jupiter

Couple of musings:

I've been a fan of their free dance since they debuted it in the fall and would love to see them succeed with it.

Their positions are beautiful and can't help but think that Virtue/Moir might have helped beautify them furthermore (that laidback split..!).

However, I actually prefered G/P's free dance performance that night who did win that portion.

I feel W/P have a gorgeous rhythm dance but G/P may have the edge (and some buzz) on the free dance.

Wonder what their plan is from here on out...

Debrah

Congrats to W/P on winning Gold; maybe 3X golden + last yr's world bronze resume will be the charm internationally for mounting the world podium as well; we shall see how things shake out after 4CC and Euro's, as to who will actually be contending for world podium positions. Keeping in mind actual performance scores by dance teams are tempered by Fed politics and who on judging panels winds up holding hands with who...My dream is that when all is said and done Canada will hopefully deserve and thus occupy 2 out of 3 world dance podium positions...Go Canada!

Rafter

Couple of musings:

I've been a fan of their free dance since they debuted it in the fall and would love to see them succeed with it.

Their positions are beautiful and can't help but think that Virtue/Moir might have helped beautify them furthermore (that laidback split..!).

However, I actually prefered G/P's free dance performance that night who did win that portion.

I feel W/P have a gorgeous rhythm dance but G/P may have the edge (and some buzz) on the free dance.

Wonder what their plan is from here on out...

The thing is, G/P didn’t exactly light it up on the GP this season. We’ll see how they do with international judges at 4CCs and worlds. Seems like they don’t get the levels from international tech callers.

I read somewhere that W/P would have won the FD if not for a level 2 spin in the FD.

starrynight

A lot of National competitions tend to occur in a little bubble.

You have lots of scoring inflation and hype. They need to keep things interesting for the TV audience.

There’s always the process of making a big deal about rivalries and podiums that may or may not have any impact internationally. I doubt judges care much about domestic scoring.

4CC will be the test of where everything stands. G/Ps Grand Prix showing hasn’t set them up with any particular momentum.

So I would say they are both starting the second half of the season with a blank slate.

Jupiter

The thing is, G/P didn’t exactly light it up on the GP this season. We’ll see how they do with international judges at 4CCs and worlds. Seems like they don’t get the levels from international tech callers.

I read somewhere that W/P would have won the FD if not for a level 2 spin in the FD.

Yes, I actually have the scores printed out and it seems it was W/P's CoSp2 vs. G/P's CoSp4 --> 2 point difference at base value.

Looking forward to 4CCs!

IloveFS

Congrats to W/P on winning Gold; maybe 3X golden + last yr's world bronze resume will be the charm internationally for mounting the world podium as well; we shall see how things shake out after 4CC and Euro's, as to who will actually be contending for world podium positions. Keeping in mind actual performance scores by dance teams are tempered by Fed politics and who on judging panels winds up holding hands with who...My dream is that when all is said and done Canada will hopefully deserve and thus occupy 2 out of 3 world dance podium positions...Go Canada!
As much I would love to see Canadian teams win 2 of 3 ice dance medals at Worlds, I think it's not realistic given Madi and Zach's success this year. You have to factor them in for a medal. What about the Russian ice dance teams as well? It's getting very crowded on the podium with many ice dance teams capable of medalling at Worlds.

screech

Just a WeaPo connected thing, Dimash Kudaibergen represented Kazakhstan and performed "SOS d'un terrien en détresse" on the new CBS reality competition show "The World's Best" as the final act of tonight's show. As I was watching I just kept thinking that the song was really familiar, and I googled and made the connection with WeaPo (and Denis Ten).
98 out of a possible 100 and moved on to the next round of the competition (the two judges who didn't vote for him basically said that he was too perfect)

Mad for Skating

Just a WeaPo connected thing, Dimash Kudaibergen represented Kazakhstan and performed "SOS d'un terrien en détresse" on the new CBS reality competition show "The World's Best" as the final act of tonight's show. As I was watching I just kept thinking that the song was really familiar, and I googled and made the connection with WeaPo (and Denis Ten).
98 out of a possible 100 and moved on to the next round of the competition (the two judges who didn't vote for him basically said that he was too perfect)

I saw this and almost cried. Sooo beautiful. Dimash’s voice is incredible.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I love WeaPo's RD. That tango is truly a dance. So 3rd right now at 4CC but it was still beautiful. Less than 2 points from H/D and less than one point from C/B. Andrew's 2nd twizzle...from what I saw, his left leg was swinging a little wide but his skating foot was ok. He got L4, I think the GOE probably suffered. All in all gorgeous. I love Kaitlyn's dress, do not understand some in the pbp thread saying it makes her look older? Don't agree. She is beyond lovely in every way. Good luck with your beautiful FD!

Spun Silver

I loved the dress at Canadian Nats but here not so much. The color makes for a more intimate tango, but a little of the impact was missing yesterday. Somehow they have to make the audience switch gears and focus in after all the fireworks, or change the dress and show off their own fireworks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information