WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

Dobre

Wanted to say, "Congratulations!" for Kaitlyn & Andrew on their third world medal and a great pair of end-of-the-season performances.

Nice to see Camerlengo in the Kiss & Cry and able to enjoy the moment with them after creating that stellar program.

aml78

I think the correct placement was 5th. :) You could also count their silver from 2014.

Weaver/Poje have actually been in the top 5 at every worlds for the last 2 quads ie 2011 to 2018.

They were not acting at these Worlds like it was their last one. They were quite business like in their post skate reactions. You could tell they were there to get the job done and were not getting overly emotional. Kaitlyn in particular would not have been so composed of she knew it was her last competitive skate. So I'm sure they have made no decision yet.

I agree. But I previously they had been open about taking it season by season. Now they are sounding less certain. I think the opportunity to go out with a medal could feel like a nice end cap.

lauravvv

Weaver/Poje skated 2nd last so at that point they were third in the free dance and second overall.
Yes, you are right, of course. I didn't think about that. I thought you meant to say that Kaitlyn thought they were going to be fourth overall. Hubell/Donohue hadn't skated yet, so there was a chance that they could fall below W/P, but it was quite certain they were going to be second if they skated without large mistakes.

kittysk8ts

Wanted to say, "Congratulations!" for Kaitlyn & Andrew on their third world medal and a great pair of end-of-the-season performances.

Nice to see Camerlengo in the Kiss & Cry and able to enjoy the moment with them after creating that stellar program.
Yes, and I saw them talking with Pasquale backstage before the FD. Nikolai was hovering, but seemed pretty cool with them obviously getting some last minute advice/motivation from Pasquale.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I’ve seen their Ghost exhibition online in the past but this performance was particularly moving. I don’t think she was just acting....
Imo, they never "act". They emote, they perform, but it's all so genuine. Since the beginning they have given their hearts to us. I find them to be completely who they are as people even on the ice. I love skaters like that.

IloveFS

If they are going to continue, does anyone else think that they should train with Marina Zoueva or PATCH?

barbarafan

If they are going to continue, does anyone else think that they should train with Marina Zoueva or PATCH?

Nix to Marina......I would recommend Patch......but the basic skating etc has improved with Morozov in all fairness...The globe hopping can get exhausting after a while but they are getting lots of skating hours in.

RoseRed

Nix to Marina......I would recommend Patch......but the basic skating etc has improved with Morozov in all fairness...The globe hopping can get exhausting after a while but they are getting lots of skating hours in.
Didn't they stop going to Russia this season and just stay in NJ?

VGThuy

Zoueva would have a much easier time making programs for Weaver/Poje than she does for the Shibs. I know people make fun of her programs, but I really don't think they'd be worse than the programs they've been getting in the past few years. I don't see W/P going to Canton if the Shibs continue though.

IloveFS

Zoueva would have a much easier time making programs for Weaver/Poje than she does for the Shibs. I know people make fun of her programs, but I really don't think they'd be worse than the programs they've been getting in the past few years. I don't see W/P going to Canton if the Shibs continue though.
Why????? I think it would be great for WP to train with the Shibs.

VGThuy

^ I think it would be too, and provide the both teams that spark and insight to each other's strengths that they can work on during training. However, after playing third string team from 2011-2014 and then having to fend for themselves for good programs (FDs) since they weren't really getting them from Zoueva and not seeing how that situation will really improve for them, I can see the Shibs pushing back on the idea for understandable reasons (like Dai leaving Morosov when he took on Oda or why Frank didn't have a top ladies skater when he had Michelle). Of course, I don't know how much of it is their decision and how free she is to take on students. Maybe the Shibs will be open to the idea, but I don't see it.

IloveFS

^ I think it would be too, and provide the both teams that spark and insight to each other's strengths that they can work on during training. However, after playing third string team from 2011-2014 and then having to fend for themselves for good programs (FDs) since they weren't really getting them from Zoueva and not seeing how that situation will really improve for them, I can see the Shibs pushing back on the idea for understandable reasons (like Dai leaving Morosov when he took on Oda or why Frank didn't have a top ladies skater when he had Michelle). Of course, I don't know how much of it is their decision and how free she is to take on students. Maybe the Shibs will be open to the idea, but I don't see it.
I don't think the Shibs will have much to say about it.. Remember they trained with DW and VM for a while as well. It would be good for Zoueva and I really think WP will truly benefit from training with a competitive team.

chapis

It was said that before Morozov they considered Canton, but for whatever reason, they prefered Morozov.

starrynight

I certainly don't think packing yet another team into an already bursting Gadbois is the answer. lol Maybe every ice dance team could train in the same location and as coaches become the next hot thing, the coaches could be shifted in and out to avoid all the athletes going to the expense of moving. :biggrinbo

But jokes aside, If it is the case the judges are requiring something new from the free dances next season, I don't know if being down the line of priority at Gadbois while they develop a new direction is ideal. Also, W/P like to have involvement in their career and the way it works at Gadbois (based on what P/C and H/D were saying at the press conferences at Worlds) is that you hand over the reigns.

I personally just don't like the idea of W/P being absorbed into that formula. It's worked for P/C and H/D because they have achieved their first big successes there that it appears the Gadbois formula is them. But I think with W/P it would be more obvious they are being shaped by the machine and I think that would be a bit distracting.

I also don't like the idea of pretty much every team training in the same centre. Ice dance would be a lot more interesting I think if every team didn't train between 3 training centres only.

If it is the case they are only staying in for a season or two, what would be the point of packing up and moving? Better off staying and enjoying New York (which they say they love) and get some outside choreography in and just enjoying themselves.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I think coaching wise they are ok. But what was the deal with Galit Chait? Is she coaching them now as well? I'm totally on board with the idea of outside choreo, they need someone who can give them more "pow" moments. I love, love their lyrical skating style, those sweeping lobes and smooth as silk skating. But Andrew is strong and she is a feather (well a long-legged feather!) and they could benefit from some different moves and lifts. They really have had lots of diversity in their programs through the years but ice dance is changing and I'd love to see them change it up, too. I hope they continue but things will have to get even better for them to stay up there. If they don't, they still have an incredible record of top 5 finishes at Worlds, consistency is definitely something they have despite the occasional twizzle mishap!

starrynight

There were some great new moments in their Spartacus FD courtesy of Lori Nichol but alas the time pressure of the Olympic season meant that got shelved before it could be further developed.

IloveFS

There were some great new moments in their Spartacus FD courtesy of Lori Nichol but alas the time pressure of the Olympic season meant that got shelved before it could be further developed.
The Spartacus FD does not need to return. It was not a good choice for them!

Emilia12

I think coaching wise they are ok. But what was the deal with Galit Chait? Is she coaching them now as well? I'm totally on board with the idea of outside choreo, they need someone who can give them more "pow" moments. I love, love their lyrical skating style, those sweeping lobes and smooth as silk skating. But Andrew is strong and she is a feather (well a long-legged feather!) and they could benefit from some different moves and lifts. They really have had lots of diversity in their programs through the years but ice dance is changing and I'd love to see them change it up, too. I hope they continue but things will have to get even better for them to stay up there. If they don't, they still have an incredible record of top 5 finishes at Worlds, consistency is definitely something they have despite the occasional twizzle mishap!
From what iv'e heard Galit Chait is their coach now with Morozov which is great idea considering she is a technical controller, and can really help them to maximize points as much as possible

I really think they should take advantage of being so close to NY and so many dance studios and great choreographers. I really think it will be the best for them to search for new ideas outside the current ice dance world.

IloveFS

Still young - obviously - I think they will retire though. I will def miss them though.
Do you know for a fact that they are retiring? Maybe they'll plan a 2 year comeback plan for the 2022 Olympics.

arakwafan2006

I agree. Also, Andrew probably wouldn’t have had shitty Twizzles with Marina and her team. One thing that Marina is clearly ok with, thanks to the Shibs is outside choreography. It makes her job easier. The problem with Wepo was not their programs. Their material is usually memorable. The skating skills have always in direct comparison to the other teams been glaringly weaker. I fault Krylova. How the hell was andrew so bad in terms of elements ?

chapis

I agree. Also, Andrew probably wouldn’t have had shitty Twizzles with Marina and her team. One thing that Marina is clearly ok with, thanks to the Shibs is outside choreography. It makes her job easier. The problem with Wepo was not their programs. Their material is usually memorable. The skating skills have always in direct comparison to the other teams been glaringly weaker. I fault Krylova. How the hell was andrew so bad in terms of elements ?

But I remember Nikita had shitty twizzles with Marina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information