Weaver and Poje step away from competition

Japanfan

I don't know what would motivate them to continue competing. Gold and probably silver are locked up through to 2022. Of course often 'love of the sport' or 'more to contribute to the sport' are often motivators, but W/P have been competing for quite a while. Perhaps their potential has been fulfilled.

However, if they leave I will really miss them. :(

yossalu

I love them but if they don't return this season I will look forward to more of Soucisse & Firus, who I hope will recover after that Nationals free dance disaster. I don't think they'll ever be podium threats but they're quite enjoyable.

It's a pity that the World podium started to slip out of Weaver & Poje's grasp over time. They should still be able to compete for silver but it looks like the judges don't agree. They're a great team that didn't reach their full potential but they've given the fans plenty to cheer for over the years. I'll be happy to see more whether they're competing or just doing shows.

starrynight

I'm quite surprised by this as it certainly seemed as though they were proceeding with preparations for this season. They had been doing the required fitness testing and have been near their training base and skating as far as social media indicates.

But what an incredible career they have had. Immense consistency with top 5 placements at nine consecutive Worlds. They've also won more medals at senior nationals than any other Canadian ice dance team in history.

They have been a very important part of Canadian ice dance and have been crucial in ensuring that 3 spots have always been kept for Worlds. They will be leaving a big hole behind them when they step away.

Last edited:

kates8

Surprized as its late in the season, but kudos to them as they have had a long and successful career - maybe it was time to step back and capitalize on some opportunities that may be more lucrative than competing - Battle of Blades possibly or just moving on to the next phase of life??

starrynight

Surprized as its late in the season, but kudos to them as they have had a long and successful career - maybe it was time to step back and capitalize on some opportunities that may be more lucrative than competing - Battle of Blades possibly or just moving on to the next phase of life??

There's also the possibility of Virtue/Moir's tour which might be an attractive option for some show skating and a pay check.

Colonel Green

I’m surprised insofar as I expected them to either retire after Milan (obviously they didn’t) or compete all the way through Montreal. While they haven’t ruled out going to Worlds again, missing the Grand Prix two years in a row really feels like a signal that the motivation just isn’t there anymore.

On the other hand, the scramble for the third Worlds berth will be exciting.

starrynight

I thought they'd take their bows at 2020 Nationals and then Worlds in Montreal, after competing at 4C's and maybe a warm-up international, which is still possible.

In previous interviews, they said that trying to do a tour and prepare for the second half of the season at the same time was very difficult and they wouldn't trying to attempt that again. So if they do join the Virtue/Moir tour, I would think that they are skipping the whole season. But if they just use the time to take a breather, then that might be possible.

But with now potentially both Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje gone, it's a new era for Canadian ice dance. There's a lot to be said for the security blanket of having top teams that always place well at Worlds. Those three spots aren't actually automatically given to Canada (even though it probably feels like it, as they have had them for so long).

Colonel Green

But with now potentially both Virtue/Moir and Weaver/Poje gone, it's a new era for Canadian ice dance. There's a lot to be said for the security blanket of having top teams that always place well at Worlds. Those three spots aren't actually automatically given to Canada (even though it probably feels like it, as they have had them for so long).
The best bet at keeping three is 6+7 (the same way that we kept three pairs spots in 2017). Sixth is probably where G/P “naturally” fall in the hierarchy right now, absent W/P — seventh requires F-B/S to leapfrog H/B (very doable) and the Italians (much more of a fight).

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Wow...I was hoping to see them in Montreal and figured they would retire after that.

But I get why they don’t want to compete Grand Prix.

I’ll miss them but hope I can catch them in one of the tours next year.

manhn

I really, really, really wanted to see them one more time in person in Montreal. I am glad that I was there in Vancouver for their FD at 18 Canadians, where we stood up for them BEFORE and after their performance.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It makes sense that they'd join the tour, especially after C/L withdrew.

They could decide after the Fall that it's worth one last competitive farewell run, if they know this is the end of their competitive career and there's imminent light at the end of the tunnel.

From a Skate Canada perspective, SC may prefer, even if they don't have influence, for the road be clear for G/P to get the Canada #1 push with two Worlds before the Olympics, even if that means two spots for the following season, rather than going down to two spots for the Olympics. It's going to be difficult for FB/S to move up, especially with Z/G back in the mix, and Canada #3, probably L/L, could use the earliest exposure at senior championships.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I can't say that I was too surprised by this news. It's mega-expensive and intense to compete at their level, and while they've made top 5 at Worlds for nine (!) years, they haven't really placed consistently. I can see why they would want to step back and think about whether they want to invest the $$/time/effort in continuing to compete.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm so hoping they're joining V&M's tour! Because I'm going to it and I'd love to see them live again, and because V&M desperately needed a pair or dance team to round out the cast, and mostly because it will be a great opportunity for them to be on tour with their Cdn skating family again, for performing, and for $$$$.

angi

I think it's likely that either they will join V/M's tour or perhaps Battle Of The Blades (I don't think they announced every participant yet) and to be honest I understand their decision.

kittysk8ts

I'm quite surprised by this as it certainly seemed as though they were proceeding with preparations for this season. They had been doing the required fitness testing and have been near their training base and skating as far as social media indicates.

But what an incredible career they have had. Immense consistency with top 5 placements at nine consecutive Worlds. They've also won more medals at senior nationals than any other Canadian ice dance team in history.

They have been a very important part of Canadian ice dance and have been crucial in ensuring that 3 spots have always been kept for Worlds. They will be leaving a big hole behind them when they step away.
Absolutely 100% agree. They are just as important in Canada as any ice dance team. Of course, I want them to be happy, but this is indeed a loss.

chantilly

Meanwhile, I'm going to SC. (Sigh).
Me too.

But I’m sure we will have G and P now and hopefully FB and S.

W and P had a great career. Surprised they didn’t stick it out for worlds this season. But I respect their decision.

I do like them and do think they have been under marked and under valued in the past. But I also think they really failed to capture what they had with the tango program years ago.

Who knows they may return, but I doubt it.

I think they’ll have a great show career though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information