Ways to support Ukraine, refugees & those helping them (please share info & links)

airgelaal

Hard to say. My mom probably wouldn't understand. But she knows who to get the answer from :D I think that even if someone does not understand, there will always be someone who will explain.

sk8pics

Hard to say. My mom probably wouldn't understand. But she knows who to get the answer from :D I think that even if someone does not understand, there will always be someone who will explain.
I heard the other day that all the Ukrainians who will be receiving our cards speak English, and that if anyone writes anything in Ukrainian they will be “wow!”. I wrote it all in English and then some in Ukrainian with the Ukrainian alphabet and some in Ukrainian with the English alphabet. We have 30 cards so far and there are 30 staffers. More are coming. I’m so happy to be able to do this small thing.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It's comparatively a small thing, but it may help with general morale for Ukrainian skaters/athletes.
See my new post in the ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine thread (comment #2055)
It's an email that can be used to send to ISU council members to encourage them to uphold the ban of Russian and Belarusian skaters.

Vagabond

This is specifically for people in the United States:

Anyone interested in donating to the U.N. World Program but not in the United States can find more information here.

sk8pics

I learned today about an organization that pairs up volunteers with Ukrainians to help them learn or improve their English. The link is enginprogram.org.

I heard about it from someone I was hiking with this evening. He said he’s been doing it for 9 months or so. Looks like a very worthwhile program. I filled out an application and have an interview scheduled.

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like a very worthwhile program. I filled out an application and have an interview scheduled.
Link to click:

@sk8pics did you already have your interview?

sk8pics

Link to click:

@sk8pics did you already have your interview?
Yes! I had my interview and am partway through the training. There are two training sessions that you can do live on zoom or by a recording. Each is about 45 minutes long. Then there's a quiz, a self assessment, and then you get assigned your "buddy." I have my second training session next Sunday. There were around a dozen of us in the first session. I've been taking my time because I really don't want to start until October, and I don't want to keep my buddy waiting so long once we're paired up.

There's also a Facebook group for volunteers with lots and lots of helpful information and suggestions. Plus local chapters forming, and it looks like there may be one or two near me, so that's cool, too.

So the process is: 1. Fill out an application 2. Schedule an interview on zoom 3. Do the training sessions 4. Take a quiz. 5. Do the self assessment 6. Get paired up.

sk8pics

I had my second and last training for the tutoring volunteer gig above. I need to really look things over and get myself organized. Then I’ll do the quiz and initial self-assessment. The person who did the second training session advised me to wait until I come back from my short vacation next week so that I don’t get matched with someone and then have to delay starting our sessions. By the time that happens, my account will probably be deactivated for inactivity, which has already happened once. But the support people are actually pretty quick.

Vagabond

The auction will take place online in mid-November. “We want this sale to happen before the winter so that we can help colleagues make it through what is going to be a tough couple of months”, added Fournier. “This war has been going on for nearly two years and we know that winter is absolutely brutal for civilians.”

The call for submissions is open until 10 October. Those interested in contributing to the sale are asked to send images of up to 10 items to [email protected].

sk8pics

I’ve been matched with a woman who is a few years younger than me and lives in Kyiv for tutoring in English. Our first session is next Tuesday! I had asked for someone who was intermediate to advanced in English, but they told me she is a beginner. Hopefully it works okay.

sk8pics

My Ukrainian “buddy” and I have had several email exchanges and I think she is more than a beginner, unless she is laboring for hours and hours in her replies. I see a few sentence structure problems but that’s fine. I’m really looking forward to meeting her on Tuesday!

sk8pics

Two lessons in and my student is doing well. We talked about Bradley today and about the weather. :lol: We also watched a short cartoon about a mouse who is a princess and then she summarized it for me and asked me a couple of questions. She is very motivated and eager to learn, which is nice.

Last edited:

Vagabond

We are a US veteran led non-profit organization delivering life saving medical kits and critical humanitarian aid to Ukraine in frontline areas.

Our team is on the ground in the Ukraine, so your donation has an immediate impact. There are no middle men, no international aid depots. Your gift goes straight to those in need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information