VPN tips, advice, recommendations, etc.

Annica S

I got Nord vpn yesterday and it worked great with my Macbook and airplay to stream my Samsung tv.
I had problems with my iPhone and iPad because ISU is blocked on YouTube in Sweden. But then I used safari instead of the YouTube app it worked .

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I got Nord vpn yesterday and it worked great with my Macbook and airplay to stream my Samsung tv.
I had problems with my iPhone and iPad because ISU is blocked on YouTube in Sweden. But then I used safari instead of the YouTube app it worked .
If you install Nord on your mobile devices, you can switch them, too. Just close YouTube completely (home, home, swipe YouTube up to close) before switching countries, then reopen the YouTube app.

Annica S

I can switch to watch my app on my phone and iPad
but my samsung tv wouldn't let me use airplay to stream the event because of the blocking , but then I opened YouTube on safari browser and have no problems to use airplay to watch.
If you install Nord on your mobile devices, you can switch them, too. Just close YouTube completely (home, home, swipe YouTube up to close) before switching countries, then reopen the YouTube app

mtnskater

I’m planning to dig out my HDMI cable and connect the tv that way for IdF. I can’t switch our router to another country without impacting some of DH’s streams and shared services.
I do the same. Plug my computer into the HDMI port and watch the ISU feed on the big screen TV. Works great, though I‘d rather just have Peacock the way it used to be 😤

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Today is the first day that I'm not scrambling to get everything set up. Hola desde Argentina! Gracias, Nord.
I'd love to cancel Peacock, but I'll still need it for a couple of other sports until I can find appropriate alternatives. Geez, being a fan is getting really difficult.

eta, Bonjour du Luxembourg. Unfortunately, the Argentinian server wasn't cooperating.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

You can see how much disk space you have left. If it shows a lot, then something else is wrong. But if it shows almost full, you'll need to do something.

See if these instructions work for your computer (Windows 7, yes?):

Then report back and we can give suggestions for the next step.

I see in the link about downloading 10 in the other post but I'm afraid to do that until I figure out how to save my pictures somewhere else than on my computer in case I screw it up and lose my pictures.

It says my hard disk is 40.0 KB free of 909 GB. That's what I don't understand. Is 909 GB not really alot of space? I got exactly 1 Word document and maybe less than 300 pictures on my computer. Does less than 300 pictures really take up all that space and make it so you can't download things?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It says my hard disk is 40.0 KB free of 909 GB.
So the file system thinks the disc is full and it's not just the installation program.

There are a number of reasons this could happen. Some of them can be recovered from, some of which can not. If the disc is bad and has large sections that can't be written to, you will have to replace it. OTOH, there may be files that you deleted but due to some glitch, the system thinks they are still there. For that, you can use the built-in Disk Cleanup program that Windows 7 has and see if it helps.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I see in the link about downloading 10 in the other post but I'm afraid to do that until I figure out how to save my pictures somewhere else than on my computer in case I screw it up and lose my pictures.

It says my hard disk is 40.0 KB free of 909 GB. That's what I don't understand. Is 909 GB not really alot of space? I got exactly 1 Word document and maybe less than 300 pictures on my computer. Does less than 300 pictures really take up all that space and make it so you can't download things?
Pictures can sometimes wind up being quite large files. I'm not sure the math is there for them to take up that much disk space, but I would certainly check the file size of your pictures.

DreamSkates

I've read through posts and maybe missed it but my question is...

What VPN is best for use with a Mac in the U.S. for viewing the ISU Youtube channel?

------- My Mac is old --- OS Sierra version 10.12.6 and cannot be further updated -------

I hope to catch NHK replays. I can't stay up all night watching on Peacock and be civil the next 3 days. But sure hate to miss the best GP lineup of the season.

Thank you!

BaileyCatts

So the file system thinks the disc is full and it's not just the installation program.

There are a number of reasons this could happen. Some of them can be recovered from, some of which can not. If the disc is bad and has large sections that can't be written to, you will have to replace it. OTOH, there may be files that you deleted but due to some glitch, the system thinks they are still there. For that, you can use the built-in Disk Cleanup program that Windows 7 has and see if it helps.

:cry: I think I'm screwed. I've tried all the links and instructions and the Disk Cleanup thing and it just cleared it up to 904MB free and the red mark is still almost to the end, and it still gives me "Failed" messages when I try to download. I'm just going to buy a new computer and start over. This one is about 7-8 years old anyway so its probably time for a new one anyway?

If all I want to do is get on the internet, do Facebook and play Facebook games, and upload some pictures from my camera, is this a right one to buy so it has all the right memory stuff to watch skating? I want to be able to download the VPN thing so I can stream the ISU channel to watch the replays (they do have replays, right?), and just do normal computer things.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
This one is about 7-8 years old anyway so its probably time for a new one anyway?
Probably. :) People don't need to run out and get a new computer every 2-3 years [unless it's for programming or hardcore gaming where you can never have enough power] but after a while, your computer won't be upgradable and you won't be able to run some new program you want and the hardware will break down too. For example:

If I had to guess, I'd say that your disk drive has damaged sections that can't be written to. But for a computer that old, replacing the disk drive is probably not worth it as you can buy a cheap computer that does everything you need for the cost of having someone swap out your drive and copy your files over to the new one.

The one you linked to looks good. But, are you sure you don't want a laptop? You can take it with you if you want to watch skating somewhere else -- like your couch! (I'm on my couch right now typing this while watching tv.) Or if it's nice out and you want to read email on your porch/deck/patio. You can get one for the same price as the computer you linked to also. And you can hook your monitor up to it so you can have a bigger screen when you are at your desk.

BaileyCatts

The one you linked to looks good. But, are you sure you don't want a laptop? You can take it with you if you want to watch skating somewhere else -- like your couch! (I'm on my couch right now typing this while watching tv.) Or if it's nice out and you want to read email on your porch/deck/patio. You can get one for the same price as the computer you linked to also. And you can hook your monitor up to it so you can have a bigger screen when you are at your desk.

:duh: I never even thought of that at all. I don't have Wifi at home but called Spectrum to see how to get it so that doesn't sound too hard to get set up. Hopefully. I'm really stupid, but it sounds pretty easy to set up once I get the router thing. :shuffle:

But geez I been looking at Best Buy all night about what laptop to get and think 'this one!' then read the Reviews and there's always a bunch of Reviews about how much it sucks. :yikes: Does this one seem like a good one for watching the ISU channel with the VPN thing? I'd be willing to pay the $$$ necessary to get the right laptop if there is something better that I should get instead.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Does this one seem like a good one for watching the ISU channel with the VPN thing? I'd be willing to pay the $$$ necessary to get the right laptop if there is something better that I should get instead.

If you are only buying the laptop to download Opera browser, you literally need the most basic browser-based laptop you can find, such as a ChromeBook.

Karen-W

:duh: I never even thought of that at all. I don't have Wifi at home but called Spectrum to see how to get it so that doesn't sound too hard to get set up. Hopefully. I'm really stupid, but it sounds pretty easy to set up once I get the router thing. :shuffle:

But geez I been looking at Best Buy all night about what laptop to get and think 'this one!' then read the Reviews and there's always a bunch of Reviews about how much it sucks. :yikes: Does this one seem like a good one for watching the ISU channel with the VPN thing? I'd be willing to pay the $$$ necessary to get the right laptop if there is something better that I should get instead.

I have an HP Envy and I LOVE it. Mine might be a bit fancier than the one you're looking at - it has a touchscreen, which is really cool, though sometimes obnoxious.

Best Buy is great because their Geek Squad will transfer all of your data & files from your old computer to the new one - it takes about 1-2 days for them to do this depending on how busy they are. And they'll also do all the software set up for you and give you a brief run through of anything new.

Karen-W

If you are only buying the laptop to download Opera browser, you literally need the most basic browser-based laptop you can find, such as a ChromeBook.
I got the impression that @BaileyCatts has a really old computer with a corrupted disk drive, so she's suddenly in the market for a new computer. ;)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I got the impression that @BaileyCatts has a really old computer with a corrupted disk drive, so she's suddenly in the market for a new computer. ;)
She mentioned this:

If all I want to do is get on the internet, do Facebook and play Facebook games, and upload some pictures from my camera, is this a right one to buy so it has all the right memory stuff to watch skating?

No need to go over the top with things she doesn't need IMO. Maybe an 8GB memory system, such as this one at $379, but I'm still on 8GB with my 2019 MacBook Pro and it's more than enough with 50 browser windows open so I'm not sure she even needs that.

$999 to download Opera, watch YouTube, and go on Facebook? Nah.

On My Own

Well tbh if you have a phone that can run a VPN and can cast onto a TV screen you own, maybe you can bypass purchasing a computer altogether.

But I would advise having your computer looked at by someone. 909 GB being nearly all gone when you say you mostly just have photos sounds wrong to me. Still time for an upgrade, if you're into it, though, we're onto Windows 11 now.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Trying to set up Opera and the activation email isn't showing up. :(

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
When I installed it there were no emails involved. :confused:
I clicked on the VPN link at top to purchase that, and it is supposed to send an activation email, and nothing has come. Tried another email, still nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information