VPN tips, advice, recommendations, etc.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Did you check your junk folder? Gmail might have tossed it there… competition for Chrome.
Yes. Nothing. And when I click on the ISU stream, I get the "unavailable in your country."

BaileyCatts

So tech knowledge people, how's this look? It's a pretty good sale price, its got good reviews, and I figure if I screw it up or can't figure out how to do the wifi thing, its less of a hit than the $900 one. But I can't tell ..... does it have a connection to attach a larger monitor? I have a really nice big monitor I would use for skating and Netflix for a bigger screen.

I will use for internet surfing (like FSU, news sites, general surfing), Facebook and FB games, Netflix, Peacock, download the Opera/VPN thing for the ISU Channel thing if I can figure out the un-geoblock thing. And also to store my pictures of my cat off my camera. I'm a paper copy person so once I get them printed if I lost them online it would be okay, but I have to be able to get them off my camera first.

On My Own

So tech knowledge people, how's this look? It's a pretty good sale price, its got good reviews, and I figure if I screw it up or can't figure out how to do the wifi thing, its less of a hit than the $900 one. But I can't tell ..... does it have a connection to attach a larger monitor? I have a really nice big monitor I would use for skating and Netflix for a bigger screen.

I will use for internet surfing (like FSU, news sites, general surfing), Facebook and FB games, Netflix, Peacock, download the Opera/VPN thing for the ISU Channel thing if I can figure out the un-geoblock thing. And also to store my pictures of my cat off my camera. I'm a paper copy person so once I get them printed if I lost them online it would be okay, but I have to be able to get them off my camera first.

I'd probably go for 512GB, but I think this is still fine. Do you need a touch laptop? Removing the touch option should drop the price significantly.

@PRlady you're doing it wrong if you need an email for the browser, and it's showing that you need to purchase it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRdeQrOeLew

BaileyCatts

So i I got the opera thing, i click that and go to youtube and the isu channel. all i see are one 1 minute clips and previews and up again videos and such. where are the events?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So i I got the opera thing, i click that and go to youtube and the isu channel. all i see are one 1 minute clips and previews and up again videos and such. where are the events?
You probably need to play around with the VPN settings in the Opera browser. I think there was a YT tutorial for this posted earlier in this thread.

BaileyCatts

i followed that video and my screens don't even look like that. i don't have those same pictures when i click the menu and settings. it keeps trying to make me buy something.

when i click
menu
settings
privacy & security

then i scroll down to vpn and my screen does not look like what is in that video. i don't have 2 little boxes to click.i have a list of 4 things with blue bubbles that say:

connect to vpn when starting broswer
enable default serach engines by bypassing vpn
enable intranet sites by bypassing vpn
(all thse have the blue bubble on)

then is another box that says VPN Pro, i click that and it makes me buy a $50 per year thing you have to subscribe to

i don't understand why it doesn't show me the same thing that the video does.

Last edited:

AJ Skatefan

i followed that video and my screens don't even look like that. i don't have those same pictures when i click the menu and settings. it keeps trying to make me buy something.

when i click
menu
settings
privacy & security

then i scroll down to vpn and my screen does not look like what is in that video. i don't have 2 little boxes to click.i have a list of 4 things with blue bubbles that say:

then is another box that says VPN Pro, i click that and it makes me buy a $50 per year thing you have to subscribe to

Go to YouTube and search Isu channel. The GP events should come up

Karen-W

when i click
menu
settings
privacy & security

Okay, I didn't realize the tutuorial was out-of-date.

On the address bar of your browser, there should be a BLUE button that says VPN. Click on that button and select your region. I have Europe selected and have no problem viewing all of the Grand Prix videos on the ISU's YT channel.

sammary

I am located in Michigan and wondering how long it would take the ISU to upload the GPF on YouTube? Hoping to watch the entire comp this Saturday afternoon/night. Thanks!

Karen-W

I am located in Michigan and wondering how long it would take the ISU to upload the GPF on YouTube? Hoping to watch the entire comp this Saturday afternoon/night. Thanks!
Each competition segment from the GP has usually been uploaded within 24 hours.

BaileyCatts

Is there anything you can do or click or make a setting to make it so the ads don't keep popping up when you watch the ISU channel back? So annoying. After the bow and before replays, okay ... but right in the middle of the skate? :mad:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Is there anything you can do or click or make a setting to make it so the ads don't keep popping up when you watch the ISU channel back? So annoying. After the bow and before replays, okay ... but right in the middle of the skate? :mad:

If you are watching with your computer/laptop then install in your browser an ad blocker, like AdBlock Plus. That will prevent any ad from appearing while you watch Youtube videos.

But if you are watching with your mobile, or any streaming stick (like roku, fire tv, xiaomi stick, etc) then you'll have to pay for youtube premium in order to not have any commercial/ads appearing at any given moment while streaming.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
If you are watching with your computer/laptop then install in your browser an ad blocker, like AdBlock Plus. That will prevent any ad from appearing while you watch Youtube videos.

But if you are watching with your mobile, or any streaming stick (like roku, fire tv, xiaomi stick, etc) then you'll have to pay for youtube premium in order to not have any commercial/ads appearing at any given moment while streaming.
I would suggest uBlock Origin for an ad blocker. Especially for YouTube. AdBlock Plus has some kind of deal going with Google where they let some ads through on YouTube.

BaileyCatts

Are the Grand Prix Finals no longer available on the ISU Channel? I can't find them now. :shuffle: I'm using Opera and the VPN, but only previews and interviews and such are coming up.

Karen-W

Got it! Downloaded a free VPN specifically for Chrome. :) I think I'm in the Netherlands right now (I do want to visit someday). ;)

It seems that YouTube has figured out I'm in the U.S. when I go to the ISU channel on Opera. None of the GP comp vids are available anymore. :(
What free VPN for Chrome did you download?

Karen-W

What free VPN for Chrome did you download?

Thanks!

Interestingly, when I access the Skating ISU YT channel on Opera, I can only see a handful of the GPF videos in the playlist, but I can see all of them with the free Chrome VPN you provided.

On Opera I can still see all of the regular GP videos available in the playlists.

BaileyCatts

I really don't understand why I am so fckuing stupid I still can't figure out how to find these videos. Even when I click on posted links all I get are interviews and clips, not the full skating events, or the "this is blocked in your area" whatever message. I have the Opera thing, nothing but previews and interviews. I tried the Google Chrome VPN above and downloaded that, nothing but previews and interviews. I clicked this exact link

and again nothing but interviews and previews. Yes, I am subscribed to the channel. What exactly do I have to click and where is it to find these competitions? I'm reaching the point I am just going to quit watching skating because I am so fckuing stupid I can't figure out how to watch it anymore. I don't understand how everyone else can find these videos and I never can. What am I doing wrong???

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information