Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
Vincent Zhou has shared a few clips from his SP: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmJJNvUh87w/?taken-by=govincentzhou
"2018-2019 SP: Exogenesis Symphony Pt. 3, choreographed by Lori Nichol"
Looks very promising. He has tremendous flow across the ice.
Vincent seems like the type to take his critiques to heart and to work on his weaknesses. He looks improved compared to last season which was an improvement from the season where he won Junior Worlds. Of course, we'll have a better picture once he adds those quads and spins in, but I'm liking what I see so far. There are interesting moves that Lori is having him do.
ETA that Jeff Buttle choreographed his SP in Toronto back in June (music not yet known): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj0bp3QBBJo/

Last edited:

CaliSteve

I really like Vince and hope he does really well. I think he has pretty good basic skating skills as well as the jumps. That Quad Lutz combo is the best! No one can touch that.

My concern is that the new rules dont favor him and if he under rotates they are going to bury him.

SkateFanBerlin

I really like Vince and hope he does really well. I think he has pretty good basic skating skills as well as the jumps. That Quad Lutz combo is the best! No one can touch that.

My concern is that the new rules dont favor him and if he under rotates they are going to bury him.

I agree, those primarily taking big points from quads are hurt by the new rules. Nathan on the other hand should actually benefit. The time recovered from fewer quads in his case will give him time to actually show his artistry. It was mostly talked about in the max-quad era.

Fiero425

I think Zhou is going to do just fine under the new rules. He is still developing as a skater, but he has a good foundation upon which to build.

I just watched FS of Timothy Goebel at '02 SLC Olympics on You Tube! Any similarities in that they concentrated on the technical side of skating before developing their artistic skills? Zhou should be a true contender for just about anything if Chan slips up by only a little! We see how great Nathan can be from his Olympic LP performance, but you can't do that in the Short! They say you can't win with it, but it can certainly hurt! He was there and would have beaten Hanyu but for one of the sloppiest SP by a top skater I can remember! Even with that, he was in the chair for Bronze until the last 3 skaters so "what a chance!" :rolleyes: :COP: :duh: :revenge: :yikes:

CaliSteve

I just watched FS of Timothy Goebel at '02 SLC Olympics on You Tube! Any similarities in that they concentrated on the technical side of skating before developing their artistic skills? Zhou should be a true contender for just about anything if Chan slips up by only a little! We see how great Nathan can be from his Olympic LP performance, but you can't do that in the Short! They say you can't win with it, but it can certainly hurt! He was there and would have beaten Hanyu but for one of the sloppiest SP by a top skater I can remember! Even with that, he was in the chair for Bronze until the last 3 skaters so "what a chance!" :rolleyes::COP::duh::revenge::yikes:

You cant rely on someone messing up and its not just Nathan he has to worry about either. Vincent really needs to work on his presentation and Im not sure his coaching team is really work on it as much as they should.

On another topic- I wonder if Nathan would have been clean in the SP and been in contention for a medal, would the judges have given him the same score that he received in the LP.

Bellanca

I don't see Vincent relying on or waiting for any teammates or competitors to blunder so that he can advance or move up. If they do mess up, then everyone benefits a little, but Vincent doesn't strike me as being that kind of skater. I think he concentrates on what he can control – himself. The fact Vincent appears to be mostly unaffected and not easily rattled is a valuable competitive asset.

When pretty much every other skater was imploding at the Olympics, Vincent kept his powder dry, for the most part. Such control should be helpful to him this season, I hope.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

How many back injuries has this kid had? Quads are both his strength and his undoing. It really worries me when a skater refers to having a doctor as part of his 'team'.

Will he be well enough or even walking by January, to challenge for a spot at worlds?

Last edited:

CaliSteve

How many back injuries has this kid had? Quads are both his strength and his undoing. It really worries me when a skater refers to having a doctor as part of his 'team'.

Will he be well enough or even walking by January, to challenge for a spot at worlds?

He needs to ease up on the jump training for a bit and work on his skating skills. That should provide more relief to his back.

CaliSteve

Im happy for Vince, his jumps have improved but there need to be continued improvement.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am happy that Vincent won the silver at the US nationals and he skated to my favorite music CTHD.. There is a good chance that he will be on the world team.

Spun Silver

Congratulations to Vincent on winning the SP at 4CCs! 🎉👏🏻😍 Having his quads approved by the notorious Shin Amano will surely boost his morale. Wishing him another great skate in the free!

ETA:
Vincent, along with Mirai and Jeremy, has been added to the cast of SOI and I will see them all in Providence! Whoo hoo! 🌟🌟🌟

Last edited:

livetoskate

What a relief that Vincent is in 1st place going into the free skate. He's doing the hardest jumps ever attempted and deserves props for that. I didn't hear Michael Weiss' commentary but he probably is in awe of Vincent too, as someone who knows how dangerous and hard quads are. I can't believe anyone can possibly rotate so quickly like that. It was worth staying up late last night to see the top guys!

Fiero425

I am happy that Vincent won the silver at the US nationals and he skated to my favorite music CTHD.. There is a good chance that he will be on the world team.

Who else? Jason can no longer compete in a WORLD event IMO! When skaters are doing 4 Lutz/3T's with little effort, trying to make a podium with no quad is "past it!" Even Plushenko would be in trouble at this point! :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :plush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information