Bellanca

Vincent Zhou is the 2017 World Junior Champion, 2017 U.S. National Silver Medalist, and 2018 U.S. National Bronze Medalist on his way to the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games, and he is just getting started. So, I figured it's about time that Vincent had his own cheer thread. Enjoy!

livetoskate

That really was a huge sacrifice and leap of faith for his mother to quit her successful career and move multiple times with Vincent so that he could pursue skating. It's so expensive to live in Silicon Valley and then to have 2 kids plus competitive skating costs.... Luckily it has paid off! They should have interviewed Vincent's dad too. I am excited to see how Vincent performs at the Olympics.

livetoskate

Check out this Chinese media spotlight on Vincent Zhou from November. He speaks in Chinese and English in this segment and speaks Chinese like a native speaker. He was born in the US and says his parents mostly spoke to him in Chinese, but he'd answer them in English. He admits he can speak Chinese fairly well but has a limited vocabulary. Previously the last time he'd been in China was 2008 to visit his grandparents.

Vincent mentions that when he was about 8 years old he decided to choose figure skating over "zu2 qiu2" (which usually means football but I assume refers to soccer here). He said, "My heart is with skating." He and his mom moved to southern California, leaving his dad and older sister in northern Cal, and lived in a bad apartment complex where they didn't even have hot water. They'd wake up at 4am so he could go skating. He was inspired by Brian Boitano's Olympic free skate. He says when he's competing, he focuses on skating as well as he can because he can't control the judging. After footage of Vincent's performances at Cup of China, they show him posing for photos with people who are probably his relatives, and one of them says they are all satisfied and happy for him.

He then reads in English his reflections on life and skating. What a wonderful news segment on Vincent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3jdSerMBPc

Last edited:

mtnskater

Can’t believe Vincent is only 17 and achieved a 6th place finish at the Olympics without having been to Senior Worlds. Just as exited to see him develop as I am Nathan. What a rivalry that will be going forward. Men’s figure skating is in a good place in the U.S. !

I wonder if Vincent would consider training with Orser? That just seems like the perfect fit to keep developing his quads while working on improving his artistry and skating skills.

Bellanca

Thread bump!

My fellow Earthlings, ;) since Vincent has been making some exciting waves w/the Josh Farris choreography news, let's give the U.S.A.'s ‘other’ star his due. If you’ve not already, check out Vincent’s twitter https://twitter.com/govincentzhou for a 6-part synopsis re Worlds and stuff.

Vincent is such a personality! This next quad is bound to be a lot of fun and undeniably interesting for Zhou übers!! :cool:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Published on May 1st - #RedefineAtoZ: Vincent Zhou caught world's attention with impressive Olympic debut (includes an interview video): https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/a...-s-attention-impressive-olympic-debut-n865501

NBC Asian America Presents: A to Z aims to celebrate the emerging voices and breakout stars of the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. These individuals aren’t just reading the dictionary of what it means to be Asian American and Pacific Islander in America; they’re writing new definitions every day.

ETA:

Bay Area News Group's Elliott Almond wrote this new article on Vincent (May 3): The lonely road of a teenage Olympic ice skater; Palo Alto’s Vincent Zhou to perform at SAP Center on May 13 as part of Stars on Ice show
Excerpt about his program choreographers:
The skater was talking the other day from Toronto where he worked with well-known choreographer Lori Nichols on next season’s short program. He plans to enlist Jeffrey Buttle to choreograph the free skate. Buttle did both of his programs this past season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information