Allskate

That is extremely doubtful. It's not like this hasn't been discussed over and over in public. There is no way it wasn't being discussed behind closed doors as well.

IMO, they wanted to appease Russia and picked the option that gave them a medal, just not Gold.
Yeah. They've had two years to look at the rules. And these are their own rules. It's not like they were interpreting the rules from some other organization.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
That is extremely doubtful. It's not like this hasn't been discussed over and over in public. There is no way it wasn't being discussed behind closed doors as well.

IMO, they wanted to appease Russia and picked the option that gave them a medal, just not Gold.
Well I don't think we are disagreeing on the bottom line. Just how they got there. I have reasons for why I think as I do but in the end the bottom line is it wasn't a well reasoned decision. There is a certain arrogance amongst that crowd that they do things like this and expect it will just slide through.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Now you people have gone and done it and invited new members to be pulled in from other skating media with stuff like this..
Nothing because Nathan Chen is not a two-time individual gold medalist unlike Yuzuru Hanyu whose achievement is still incomparable to anyone else's.
For what it's worth, Dick Button also achieved this, as did Karl Schaefer. Gillis Grafstrom won 3 golds and 1 bronze. Sonja Henie did it three times in singles' skating. Katarina Witt did it twice. Irina Rodnina did it 3 times in pairs. Grishuk & Platov and Virtue & Moir did it 2 times in dance, and so on. Virtue & Moir have 5 Olympic medals overall. So yeah, it's plenty comparable to other people.

The ISU and USFS should start paying some people here to consult. :COP:
And to this, sign me up.

puglover

I would just like to say that we probably wouldn't be having this discussion about upgrading Canada to bronze had Schizas not skated so well in both programs (particularly the SP without which Canada probably would not have qualified in the top 5). Well done Maddie! :cheer2:
Well said. I recall how determined she was not to be the weak link. And kudos to Roman who was thrown in at the last minute for Keegan who was stuck in Vancouver following Covid protocol. I know he skated very poorly but he didn't give up and kept trying. Not sure we can ask for anything more from these young people.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Aaron MB Fan in 2010 some female ski jumpers tried to get their event included in the Olympic program on the grounds that it was gender discrimination to have men's events but not women's (IIRC the world championship in that sport had men's and women's events). Also the host location had gender discrimination in its human rights laws. The IOC said its own rules took precedence over local law, so too bad, so sad.

I would hope that more enlightened people might be involved now, but I'm not confident that the IOC would be receptive to a complaint around gender discrimination.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Not to forget Artur Dmitriev's two golds with two different partners in 1992 & 1998, Klimova/Ponomarenko's set of gold-silver-bronze from 1992-1988-1984 or Aljona's bronze-bronze-gold achievement. The list could go on and on, especially since some of these all-time greats mentioned didn't have a team event during their era to pad their Olympic medals list. Think about how many medals Dick Button or Irina Rodnina or Grischuk/Platov would have.

Arrows

We're talking about the men only who competed in the last few decades, obviously. :rolleyes: For some weird reason some of you are really mad at the fact that Hanyu is the only male two-time individual OGM since the 1950s and this will remain so for a long while.

Fanyus are silent yet some of you here on FSU keep bring him up every time. Is figure skating so boring nowadays that you have to constantly bring up Hanyu and his fans? I wonder.

ballettmaus

I really don't understand the argument that there is no specific rule for the team even. Now, it does appear that ISU regulations even say that they will apply existing rules to the team event, so they aren't following their own rules. But even if the rules didn't say that, if there is a rule, I think it's normal practice to fall back on that existing rule in a case where there is no specific rule and not to make up a new rules (that clearly reads as an exception to the existing rules just to appease Russia). You create new rules after the case is resolved. Because the case made you realize you need new rules.

Of course, the ISU is a sports federation, so I shouldn't expect logic and normal practice. Still, it makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information