US Summer Olympic Trials

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I know a few selections have already been made, but the first truly “open” trials were today, Feb 3, in Orlando. The Oly marathon team will be named off these results.

On the women’s side, Molly Seidel, one of the US best, didn’t take the start line due to a patella injury.

For the men, down the stretch it was Clayton Young and Connor Mantz running together for 1 and 2. Considering how hot it was, they had internationally competitive times. They are training mates. Nelson Korir was third, but some US athlete still needs a good race time in the spring to secure the 3rd US spot. It’s Korir’s if that happens.

For the women, Fiona O’Keefe ran away. Old reliable Emily Sisson was 2nd. Dakotah Lindwurm was 3rd. All have rankings/times for automatic selection as the US athletes have already posted enough good times to give the US 3 spots.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover

ignosk8er

Still keeping casual fans' ignorance.
As a proxy for an Olympic Trial, the US clinches an Artistic Swimming berth in Paris. I cannot fathom how they do this. :eek:

As a former synchro competitor, I can offer thus: If you have a decent internal gimbal system (visual input isn’t sufficient underwater - no goggles in competition and they never worked for me), then the bottom line difficulty is just lack of O2. So endurance and strength. But like most other sports, that’s what training is for.

This American homie is gonna brag: I’m so dadgum proud of this team. They’ve worked their asses off. Their goal was to qualify so that medal is icing on the “chocolate” cake. No strawberries for this team :cheer2:

kalamalka

As a proxy for an Olympic Trial, the US clinches an Artistic Swimming berth in Paris. I cannot fathom how they do this. :eek:

it's not a proxy for an Olympic trial - a lot of sports do this: allocations of Olympic spots are based on placements at one or more competitions (some have a designated event or events to gain a certain number of spots for the top finishers, then a "last chance" event to fill out the field). That just earns spots for the country (as in FS - e.g. WC for most of the spots, then Nebelhorn to allocate the remaining places among countries that didn't earn a place at the WC). Then the country has a process to choose the team/athletes - earning the spot for your country does not mean that you will be the one who gets to compete at the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information