US 2021 (and some 2022) Adult Skating Changes

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
USFS has an adult skaters meeting tonight. What I was able to note is below:

USFS had done a survey of adult skaters, and found that 75% of them wanted 2021 adult nationals postponed until June rather than held at their normal time. That said, a good chunk of the skaters who normally compete at nationals said that they either wouldn't compete if the event was held in person, or were unsure. USFS will make a go/no go decision by May 10. If the event is a go, it will happen in June, with registration in May. If the event is not a go, it'll move to an online virtual event.

The adult competition series (which is for bronze and lower) will have a virtual event - details to come later. I think they said the event will be in May.

Other changes are that pattern dance tests now count (again? I think I remember they used to count) toward the level you compete in showcase events. This is true for 2021.

And all the showcase events have changed. Showcase events for adults are going to be, as of 2022:

Dramatic Performance: Programs should portray a story, expressing conflict, resolution and/or depth of emotion. Skater should provoke an emotional response with the audience - through related skating movements, gestures and choreographic processes. The entire spectrum of emotions should be considered, not just negative ones in selection of the piece being used (for example: love, loss, longing,
fulfillment). Props and Scenery are permitted.

Lyrical Pop: Perform to your favorite song containing lyrics, without lip-synching. Props and Scenery are NOT allowed.

Character Performance: Skaters will impersonate a character, original or adapted, on the ice. Performances as a character from a movie, musical, book, original idea, original adaptation are all welcome here. Lip Synching is permitted. Props and Scenery are permitted.

Comedic Impressions: A humorous performance intentionally designed to achieve continuous/multiple chuckles, laughs, or rises from viewers. Performance is projected outward towards audience and entertaining through skating movements, gestures and physical actions deemed comedic. Props and Scenery are permitted.

They're going to publish the recording of the meeting on the USFS Members Only section by end of day tomorrow.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Thank you for this update @GarrAargHrumph .

I really like the new categories for Showcase, especially giving the "playing a character" programs their own category. I also like the idea of pattern dances counting toward qualifications for levels in Showcase. I don't know if US adult competitions have had the same problems as some Canadian competitions have had, where adults with high-level dance tests but no or low-level freeskate tests have competed in lower-level showcase/interpretative. In Canada, it's resulted in some very uneven playing fields.

Debbie S

Thanks, Garr. Are those Showcase categories just for adults or will they be the categories for all levels?

gkelly

It's all showcase levels -- sort of.

On Members Only, there is a 2021 Showcase Guidelines document that lists 5 categories (with descriptions that I'm not copying here because they're largely the same as what @GarrAargHrumph posted):

1. Dramatic Performance
2. Choreographic Artistry (juvenile through senior levels only)
3. Lyrical Pop
4. Character Performance
5. Comedic Impressions

There's also a "Showcase: New Events Implementation for LOCs & Referees" document
that says
the 2021 National Showcase Guidelines split light entertainment category into 4 different events:
1.Choreographic Artistry
2.Lyrical Pop
3.Character Performance
4.Comedic Impressions

So Garr's list is accurate for adult competitions.

What I'm not clear about is whether the term "lyrical pop" means pop music with lyrics generally, or "lyrical" pop music.

The light entertainment program that I skated once last season was a lighthearted interpretation of a danceable pop song, projected to the audience -- no props or scenery. There was one "joke" related to the program content, but it was more designed to elicit smiles rather than continuous/multiple chuckles, laughs, or rises from viewers.

So would it fit better in Lyrical Pop or Comedic Impressions?

bladesofgorey

I have to say that "Lyrical pop" is a weird choice for a special category. I can't see how any performance within that wouldn't also be able to fall into one of the other categories.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Thank you for this update @GarrAargHrumph .

I really like the new categories for Showcase, especially giving the "playing a character" programs their own category. I also like the idea of pattern dances counting toward qualifications for levels in Showcase. I don't know if US adult competitions have had the same problems as some Canadian competitions have had, where adults with high-level dance tests but no or low-level freeskate tests have competed in lower-level showcase/interpretative. In Canada, it's resulted in some very uneven playing fields.

The adults in the meeting seemed very happy with the changes, so I'm thinking (and based on my own experience) that this has been an issue in the US as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information