Upcoming Torvill & Dean biopic on Christmas Day on ITV

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
@Sylvia thanks for pointing me to this thread!

I don't know if it's ok to post the link for the entire movie, still I will let the link for my youtube channel where you can find it, it's the last upload I named it 'Torvill & Dean - 2018 Made for TV Movie '

@Aussie Willy @Theoreticalgirl

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJtYewDi912oCroqtSm7aQw

Though it says it's geoblocked in Ireland & UK
Thank you so much. I will have to get together with my friends and watch it.

starrynight

Thank you for this! All I've seen so far is some screen shots of Penny Coombes in a very obvious yet fabulous wig, so I'm excited to watch!

icenut84

I thought it was pretty awful haha. To be honest, aside from the acting, i was mainly just annoyed at how much it re-wrote history. Completely ignored the fact Jayne was a national pairs champion before, that T&D went to the 1980 olympics, that they were 1981 WC, and the 1983 season wasn't even mentioned. Plus i actually laughed out loud when right after the 1982 worlds 'Chris' dramatically said "I want to dance the Bolero with you." :lol:

Icetigger

thank you!

what does the coach mean at the 56 min mark when she says he smelled vague?

Smelled of egg. It refers back to the buffet scene at Oberstdorf.

The worst line: "that's Bestemaniova and Bukin" at the Winter Olympics 1984. Like Jayne Torvill wouldn't recognise the couple they had been on the podium with how ever many times already.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I watched 2/3s of it last night. Anyway, the movie is really boring so far and I don't find their story to be that compelling to watch even with Chris Dean's mom leaving him without a word and then him getting a new mom like 10 minutes later and being forced to just accept that with a stiff upper lift. Despite this film's weird pace and how rushed it seem to get to the plot points, I don't really find myself needing to see more of the story. I find Will Tudor to be fine as Chris Dean actually but Poppy Lee Friar as Jayne Torvill is really blah despite giving her lines of dialogue that could have been entertaining in a campy way. I was shocked that The Guardian gave it five out of five stars, but then I read the review and I think the writer loves "bad-good TV movies" (her words) and was having a great time taking a piss out of it (did I use that right?) that she couldn't help but think it was perfect for what it was.

For a skating movie, the actual shots of skating in this film so far are horrendous and the director/editor seemed to have no idea how to cut shots of pros with the actors. Lots of close-ups on feet. They also borrowed I, Tonya's color palette and a bit of the cinematography...or maybe I'm confused the huge obvious use of CGI to create that fake crowd in the arenas and used that semi-spotlight/semi-fully lit competition lighting that both films used to think they were filmed similarly. They also don't really care to get into the process of skating and development which is wise because the audience of this film won't care about that so much.

Also, did they really make Jayne say Regoczy/Sallay were "past their best" in 1977? You mean three years before they won an Olympic silver and World championship title?

Last edited:

Icetigger

taking a piss at it

"taking the piss out of it", or "taking the piss". not "taking a piss at it".

EDIT: note the "the". Always taking "the", never taking "a". Exchange "mickey" for "piss" if you want to be less vulgar.

Last edited:

viennese

wrecked
Special mention: The actress who portrayed Christopher Dean's first ice dance partner, who was convinced - probably rightly - that everyone she met was trying it on with her.

I loved her floral skating dresses and her big hair and I think she should be more famous.

She deserves her own TV chat show called TRYIN' IT ON WITH [whatever her name is].

dramagrrl

Special mention: The actress who portrayed Christopher Dean's first ice dance partner, who was convinced - probably rightly - that everyone she met was trying it on with her.

I loved her floral skating dresses and her big hair and I think she should be more famous.

She deserves her own TV chat show called TRYIN' IT ON WITH [whatever her name is].
"I'm glad ya never tried it on wit' me! I wouldn'ta let ya! And I let everyone!" :lol:

D

Deleted member 53443

I am watching right now, am I the only one who thinks their clothes (off ice) are SO SLICK. I'd buy that yellow-brown jacket they are wearing in Germany in a heartbeat.

aliceanne

Did Dean’s mother attend the Olympics? I thought his autobiography said that she left when he was 5, and he never saw her again.

T/D in their book also claimed Janet Sawbridge dropped them abruptly at her new boyfriend/fiancé’s command (he came to the rink and told them, not her). The movie makes it sound like they decided to leave her. It seemed like a missed opportunity for drama given they were trying so hard to portray Dean as a man tormented by abandonment issues.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thank you for posting! I'm just past the halfway mark... the skating history buff in me is cringing violently but this is such a lot of fun..

Likewise. I was very surprised that Jayne's brief yet crucial stab at pair skating was completely omitted.

@floskate. Do you have any footage of Jayne and Michael Hutchinson from the 1972 European Championships?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Smelled of egg. It refers back to the buffet scene at Oberstdorf.

The worst line: "that's Bestemaniova and Bukin" at the Winter Olympics 1984. Like Jayne Torvill wouldn't recognise the couple they had been on the podium with how ever many times already.

Exposition at its finest!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

TRYIN' IT ON WITH SANDRA ELSON would be brilliant. Graham Norton MUST be her co-host.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

"I'm glad ya never tried it on wit' me! I wouldn'ta let ya! And I let everyone!" :lol:

Did Dean’s mother attend the Olympics? I thought his autobiography said that she left when he was 5, and he never saw her again.

T/D in their book also claimed Janet Sawbridge dropped them abruptly at her new boyfriend/fiancé’s command (he came to the rink and told them, not her). The movie makes it sound like they decided to leave her. It seemed like a missed opportunity for drama given they were trying so hard to portray Dean as a man tormented by abandonment issues.

I also got the sense that Chris was very shy and sheltered, and terrified of getting close to anyone, after seeing how his parents split up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information