U.S. TV figure skating schedule for 2020-21 (NBC, NBCSN, Olympic Channel)

Sylvia

TBD
Does anyone know what that may be? Not the recent Johnny-Tara review of the last 8-10 years of Nationals on NBC, is it? Hope not.
Sorry; it is. :D ("USFS' 100th Anniversary Special" is what it's called on Peacock Premium.).

ETA:

Television Schedule (copied from the 2021 U.S. Nationals Virtual Fan Experience link posted in GSD)

Championship-level events only. All times Eastern; check local listings. Subject to change.

Thurs., Jan. 14 | Pairs Short Program | 6 – 8 p.m. | NBCSN (Live)
Thurs., Jan. 14 | Ladies Short Program | 10 p.m. – Midnight | NBCSN (Live)
Fri., Jan. 15 | Rhythm Dance | 4 – 6 p.m. | NBCSN (Live)
Fri., Jan. 15 | Ladies Free Skate | 8 – 11 p.m. | NBC (Live)
Sat., Jan. 16 | Men’s Short Program | 4 – 6 p.m. | NBC (Live)**
Sat., Jan. 16 | Free Dance / Pairs Free Skate | 9 p.m. – Midnight | NBCSN (Live)
Sun., Jan. 17 | Men’s Free Skate | 3:30 – 6 p.m. | NBC (Live)**
Sun., Jan. 24 | Free Dance | 5 – 6 p.m. | NBC
Sun., Jan. 31 | Best of the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships | 12 – 2 p.m. | NBC
Sun., Feb. 14 | U.S. Championships Skating Spectacular | 4 – 6 p.m. | NBC

**The men’s short program and free skate programming details are subject to change, dependent on NFL playoff programming schedules.

Be sure to check your local listings:
My cable guide shows the Men’s SP on NBC Saturday, but it shows football on Sunday during the Men’s FS time slot. NBCSN has College Basketball listed for that slot right now.

Last edited:

skatfan

Sun., Jan. 17 | Men’s Free Skate | 3:30 – 6 p.m. | NBC (Live)**
Sun., Jan. 24 | Free Dance | 5 – 6 p.m. | NBC
Sun., Jan. 31 | Best of the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships | 12 – 2 p.m. | NBC
Sun., Feb. 14 | U.S. Championships Skating Spectacular | 4 – 6 p.m. | NBC

**The men’s short program and free skate programming details are subject to change, dependent on NFL playoff programming schedules.

Be sure to check your local listings:
Mens Free skate still isn't showing up in my Cox listings, but there is a blank for Sunday evening. I guess they could show it there.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Mens Free skate still isn't showing up in my Cox listings, but there is a blank for Sunday evening. I guess they could show it there.
It's showing up as either AFC or NFC Divisional game on my xFinity listings on NBC and, obviously, not on NBCSN either. Glad I have Peacock Premium, I guess!

Skate Talker

This article mentions that, also on Feb 11, NBCSN will “re-air” a show titled U.S. Figure Skating: 100th Anniversary Special. Does anyone know what that may be? Not the recent Johnny-Tara review of the last 8-10 years of Nationals on NBC, is it? Hope not.
I don't get NBCSN here in Canada so I can't check my listing for more info, but the name of the program is exactly that of the Tara-Johnny review of some programs from the last decade.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I don't get NBCSN here in Canada so I can't check my listing for more info, but the name of the program is exactly that of the Tara-Johnny review of some programs from the last decade.
Thanks. That what Sylvia also confirmed, few posts back.

BaileyCatts

So NFL boots the Sunday Men's Free Skate slot on NBC. Okay, I get it. Its NFL and also a playoff game, so yeah that is gonna kick skating. But NBCSN is showing a random, regular season basketball game whose outcome means nothing. Its not a playoff game, its not a title game ... its a random regular season game between a couple of mediocre teams over a National Championship event. No, not right. Not right at all. :mad: So the Men's Free skate is just not gonna be on regular TV at all?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
So NFL boots the Sunday Men's Free Skate slot on NBC. Okay, I get it. Its NFL and also a playoff game, so yeah that is gonna kick skating. But NBCSN is showing a random, regular season basketball game whose outcome means nothing. Its not a playoff game, its not a title game ... its a random regular season game between a couple of mediocre teams over a National Championship event. No, not right. Not right at all. :mad: So the Men's Free skate is just not gonna be on regular TV at all?
NBCSN routinely changes its listing so I'm expecting that whatever they've got scheduled to that men's free slot will be bumped in favor of the skating, especially if it's a mere regular season NBA game.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

^^^ Oh its not even an NBA game, its a COLLEGE game. That's what ticks me off. A random regular season COLLEGE game being shown over a National Championship event. And I despise all basketball with the passion of a thousand firey suns, which ticks me off even more. :p

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
^^^ Oh its not even an NBA game, its a COLLEGE game. That's what ticks me off. A random regular season COLLEGE game being shown over a National Championship event. And I despise all basketball with the passion of a thousand firey suns, which ticks me off even more. :p
Deep breaths. The schedules for NBCSN and Oly Chan are rarely correct until 48 hours before. The guides depend on NBC sending updates to all the cable and streaming companies and those companies loading the data. I’m sure there’s a lot of shuffling going on. If it’s not there by Friday, that’s when I’ll get worried.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I hope they update the NBCSN schedule and put the Men's competition that we are very likely wont be shown on NBC because of NFL

Or even is a move to bump their peacock streaming service and make figure skating fans purchase to be able to watch Nathan Chen and company???

Debbie S

The TV schedule for next week's NFL playoff games will be announced tonight, after the wild card games are completed. At that point, we'll know what day/time NBC will show football and presumably, the skating comp they're not showing will be moved to NBCSN. They can't assign coverage of their events until the NFL schedule is finalized.

Debbie S

According to this article, CBS and Fox are broadcasting the afternoon games next weekend. NBC is broadcasting the Sat night game, so it looks like both men's events will be on NBC. But it likely won't be finalized until tomorrow.

ETA: And this article confirms: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-announces-playoff-game-schedule-for-divisional-round

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I just checked my Peacock on-screen service. All icons for the various shows- including all Practice-cam sessions - are up and ready. Wow! They’re even going to do the Practice-cams after the actual competitions begin, such as mornings on Fri/Sat/Sunday! We’re missing out only on tomorrow’s (Tuesday) practices...darn! All from the comfort of home, watching the jumbo screen TV...in our jammies! 🍿

Japanfan

I just checked my Peacock on-screen service. All icons for the various shows- including all Practice-cam sessions - are up and ready. Wow! They’re even going to do the Practice-cams after the actual competitions begin, such as mornings on Fri/Sat/Sunday! We’re missing out only on tomorrow’s (Tuesday) practices...darn! All from the comfort of home, watching the jumbo screen TV...in our jammies! 🍿

I've actually come to prefer watching skating on TV as opposed to seeing it live. :scream: As I get older, I find competitions to be too grueling. Starting with having to get up early - am not a morning person - then sitting for so many hours in a cold arena. Add to that, the ladies bathroom line-ups. I've learned to deal with that by getting to the bathroom before the last skater in a flight finishes, but it's not ideal.

That said, I've enjoyed the live comps I've been too, particularly Worlds, which was in my city in 2001, and some of the Olympic skating - in my city in 2010. And equally have enjoyed meeting up with FSUers. :40beers:

Also, I'm looking forward to Skate Canada in my city in October. Though probably the schedule will start early, for broadcasting reasons.

And I've dearly love to go to another Worlds or Olympics in my lifetime, should it be in my city or not too far away.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I've actually come to prefer watching skating on TV as opposed to seeing it live. :scream: As I get older, I find competitions to be too grueling. Starting with having to get up early - am not a morning person - then sitting for so many hours in a cold arena. Add to that, the ladies bathroom line-ups. I've learned to deal with that by getting to the bathroom before the last skater in a flight finishes, but it's not ideal.

That said, I've enjoyed the live comps I've been too, particularly Worlds, which was in my city in 2001, and some of the Olympic skating - in my city in 2010.

And I've dearly love to go to another Worlds or Olympics in my lifetime.
Annnndddd...let’s not forget another negative to live attendance: the spotty food situation - usually unhealthy like hot dogs or nachos - often with little time to chow down. And the lines for the food stands, during zamboni breaks, can be as bad as the bathroom lines. Horrible for diabetics in particular, who must eat regular meals at regular times.

Japanfan

Annnndddd...let’s not forget another negative to live attendance: the spotty food situation - usually unhealthy like hot dogs or nachos - often with little time to chow down. And the lines for the food stands, during zamboni breaks, can be as bad as the bathroom lines. Horrible for diabetics in particular, who must eat regular meals at regular times.

Which requires to strategically hide food/drink upon entering the bag search area into the arena. I've hidden chocolate bars or sandwiches in my arm, under the coat.

However, I think people with special dietary needs such as diabetics are allowed to enter the arena with food - and presumably a doctor's note that is official.

Frau Muller

Warning about Ladies SP airings:

If one has a choice between watching today’s Ladies SPs on either Peacock streaming or NBCSN cable tv, go with Peacock. Only Peacock, which begins transmitting at 9:10pm est, will show the first group of skaters (Ushakova, Munger, Ikenishi, Shin & Hawk). NBCSN is slated to begin at 10pm est...although I’m pretty sure that if, for ex, Audrey Shin skates great, NBCSN will show her skate during the break between Gps 2 & 3.

Similar thing will happen on Saturday with Men’s SPs (Peacock starts at 3:05pm; tv at 4pm) and the two couples disciplines’ finals (Peacock at 7pm and tv at 9pm).
Peacock has yet to load the icon for Sunday’s Men’s Finals but it might be a similar situation...as the event begins at 2:59pm est, so the first 3-4 men would be missed...more, if NBC decides to re-air SPs yet again, as they so love to do.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I checked my TV schedule and it's finally right for once. The Mens FS is even listed. It will be on my local NBC channel Sunday, January 17th at 2:30 p.m. central. Here lately I had been having to reset my DirecTV HD box/terminal in order for the schedule to update. This is nice for a change.

luckiest1

In Canada, we don't have Peacock or NBCSN options, so if there are any other sites that stream things prior to the regular NBC coverage starting tomorrow, please let us know :)

Frau Muller

Not sure how, or if, this will affect skating coverage since it seemed to be mostly moved to Peacock.

Frank Pallotta @frankpallotta

JUST IN: NBC Sports Network will be no more by the end of the year. NBC says that USA Network will begin "carrying and/or simulcasting certain NBC Sports programming" including NHL and NASCAR." Peacock will also carry some of NBCSN's programming.

I hope that doesn’t mean that Peacock’s coverage will have commentating...as did the NBCSN version of the recent US Natls had the Tara-Johnny gang. Peacock should remain commentary free!

Japanfan

Not sure how, or if, this will affect skating coverage since it seemed to be mostly moved to Peacock.

Frank Pallotta @frankpallotta

JUST IN: NBC Sports Network will be no more by the end of the year. NBC says that USA Network will begin "carrying and/or simulcasting certain NBC Sports programming" including NHL and NASCAR." Peacock will also carry some of NBCSN's programming.

That sucks for Canadians. I have never gotten into stream other than for major comps like 4CCs and Worlds in future (no network has a contract in Canada going forward). And have relied on NBC for the limited coverage it provides of Nationals.

skatingguy

decently
That sucks for Canadians. I have never gotten into stream other than for major comps like 4CCs and Worlds in future (no network has a contract in Canada going forward). And have relied on NBC for the limited coverage it provides of Nationals.
This doesn't affect coverage on NBC & NBC Sports Network is not available in Canada.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Heads up re. 2020 Skate America repeat broadcasts on NBCSN tonight:

Men's FS was shown and Pairs FS now (Kayne/O'Shea's final competition as a team).

They are showing the entire skate America, dance is Up Next

And it’s raining in LA which is very rare. So great night to stay in

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information