Tragic Duck Boat Accident in Missouri

ilovepaydays

CNN - Storm sinks duck boat in Missouri, killing 13 people, including children
Today Show (NBC) witness interview from this morning

Here is the National Weather Service severe thunderstorm alert for Branson/Table Rock Lake, MO from Thursday evening. 60 mph wind gusts seemed to be obvious for warrant not going into the lake. But if you look at the timeline, I wonder if the alert came in time or if they missed it. The NWS alert is time stamped at 6:32pm and it looks like the capsize happen after around 7:00pm.

This is pretty heartbreaking. They are apparently still in recovery efforts. :(

I'm not from Missouri, but I'm from a touristy town that has a well known duck boat tour company. I was always amazed at how popular these rides were.

Last edited:

Skittl1321

This is horrific. We drove home from Table Rock Lake yesterday (the weather was pretty sketchy on the way back). Those boats had no business being on the water in that weather. Even if the boat had started the tour, it seems like they could have not done the aquatic part. The weather was pretty crappy the entire day across Missouri, and was storming the night before too, the thunderstorm would not have been a surprise.

The loss of life is just tragic. I cannot imagine the pain of losing friends and family on vacation, and the horror of those on the boat. Even if they had life jackets, they were likely trapped by the design.

My SIL had suggested this attraction for us, but I told her I didn't feel comfortable with the safety record of duck boats across the US- both on the water and on the roads there have been a number of accidents, and with a squirmy toddler, even in a life jacket, I didn't think it was a great idea. I can't believe something like this happened though.

Japanfan

This is horrific. We drove home from Table Rock Lake yesterday (the weather was pretty sketchy on the way back). Those boats had no business being on the water in that weather. Even if the boat had started the tour, it seems like they could have not done the aquatic part. The weather was pretty crappy the entire day across Missouri, and was storming the night before too, the thunderstorm would not have been a surprise.

The loss of life is just tragic. I cannot imagine the pain of losing friends and family on vacation, and the horror of those on the boat. Even if they had life jackets, they were likely trapped by the design.

Apparently someone (the captain of the boat? the tour host?) told the passengers not to put on their life jackets. I don't understand the rationale behind this. Possibly a concern that the boat would capsize due to people moving around? Even as I write this, it makes no sense.

I don't know whether Jim Pattison (the owner of the company here in Vancouver) or the local tour operator will be held liable. I suppose it depends on the contractual obligations of the two parties (i.e. the local operator may have been an independent franchise versus an employee).

Even so, instructing passengers not to wear life jackets would have increased their likelihood of drowning should the boat capsize. Obviously. Someone's head is going to roll for this.

Skittl1321

Apparently someone (the captain of the boat? the tour host?) told the passengers not to put on their life jackets. I don't understand the rationale behind this. Possibly a concern that the boat would capsize due to people moving around? Even as I write this, it makes no sense.

I don't know whether Jim Pattison (the owner of the company here in Vancouver) or the local tour operator will be held liable. I suppose it depends on the contractual obligations of the two parties (i.e. the local operator may have been an independent franchise versus an employee).

Even so, instructing passengers not to wear life jackets would have increased their likelihood of drowning should the boat capsize. Obviously. Someone's head is going to roll for this.

It sounds to me that the safety briefing was "that's where the life jackets are, you won't need them." (Not during the accident, but before they were on the water. My friend was on the ride 2 weeks ago and was told she was told the same thing- they won't need them. And of course, they didn't. You never need a life jacket, until you do.)

But I did read one passenger (a 12-year old) say when she did try to get a life jacket from the compartment, they were stuck and not accessible.

I didn't hear that they were told not to wear them once they were on the water- do you have a link? Though I'm confused how some of the deceased children were not wearing life jackets. Missouri boater laws require children under 7 to wear a PFD on small watercraft. Do the duck boats somehow have a waiver for this?

skatingguy

decently

It sounds to me that the safety briefing was "that's where the life jackets are, you won't need them." (Not during the accident, but before they were on the water. My friend was on the ride 2 weeks ago and was told she was told the same thing- they won't need them. And of course, they didn't. You never need a life jacket, until you do.)

But I did read one passenger (a 12-year old) say when she did try to get a life jacket from the compartment, they were stuck and not accessible.

I didn't hear that they were told not to wear them once they were on the water- do you have a link? Though I'm confused how some of the deceased children were not wearing life jackets. Missouri boater laws require children under 7 to wear a PFD on small watercraft. Do the duck boats somehow have a waiver for this?
Jeffrey Goodman, a lawyer involved with previous duck boat accidents, was on the CBC last week. He mentioned that because of the hard canopy covering the top of the boat, when the boat sinks if you were wearing a life jacket the life jacket would pull you up into the canopy and make it difficult to get to the exit. I don't know whether that played a role in causing the deaths of any of the people in this particular accident but it was something that was pointed to in previous incidents. I'm not really familiar with this type of vehicle but according to this attorney these things are coffins just waiting for the right opportunity.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
CNN - Storm sinks duck boat in Missouri, killing 13 people, including children
Today Show (NBC) witness interview from this morning

Here is the National Weather Service severe thunderstorm alert for Branson/Table Rock Lake, MO from Thursday evening. 60 mph wind gusts seemed to be obvious for warrant not going into the lake. But if you look at the timeline, I wonder if the alert came in time or if they missed it. The NWS alert is time stamped at 6:32pm and it looks like the capsize happen after around 7:00pm.

This is pretty heartbreaking. They are apparently still in recovery efforts. :(

I'm not from Missouri, but I'm from a touristy town that has a well known duck boat tour company. I was always amazed at how popular these rides were.
Folks in charge have to be held accountable for this tragedy.

A severe thunderstorm warning and alert means business. These are issued when there is an active severe thunderstorm in the area. This is different from a severe thunderstorm watch which means that conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorm development but there are none currently in progress.

Having been in the weather business for a long time, this kind of thing happens more than you can imagine. Over the years I have seen accounts where people have gone out on lakes or coastal areas when a warning has been issued with resulting tragic consequences.

Catherine M

I watched Tia Coleman's press conference and I don't know how she's going to go on with her life. I guess those family members that weren't on the trip will help her but like she said, when she gets home and sees an empty house, that's when it going to hit her hard.

Money won't bring her family and others back but maybe she can use the funds that she will receive in a settlement to set up scholarship funds in her kids names. I wish her and her nephew well but its going to be a hard life for them going forward.

Skittl1321

Jeffrey Goodman, a lawyer involved with previous duck boat accidents, was on the CBC last week. He mentioned that because of the hard canopy covering the top of the boat, when the boat sinks if you were wearing a life jacket the life jacket would pull you up into the canopy and make it difficult to get to the exit. I don't know whether that played a role in causing the deaths of any of the people in this particular accident but it was something that was pointed to in previous incidents. I'm not really familiar with this type of vehicle but according to this attorney these things are coffins just waiting for the right opportunity.

It sounds like the people who survived only did so because the captain eventually released the canopy. I know that is why they tell you not to put a life jacket on in a plane until you are OUTSIDE of the plane.

I've never seen a duck boat with closed windows before (so presumably, you could get out the sides). Maybe they do that because of the weather?

Once the windows are up, I agree with the coffin assessment. It's just so scary.

It also sounds like they knew there was a storm and went on the water first to "beat the storm"- usually the water is the final part of the tour. That alone tells me they knew there was potential for a problem. This (and Denis Ten) has me really shaken up this week. It's just so hard to wrap your head around such senseless death.

Japanfan

I didn't hear that they were told not to wear them once they were on the water- do you have a link?

No, I saw it on the Canadian news. I checked at the news agency's website, but couldn't find that particular item. However, I am quite sure I heard correctly.

Apt description - seems to me that this is a very bad design for a boat.

Lacey

That poor woman, Tia. I cannot imagine getting on with life. It did look as she has some other relatives, hopefully they can all stay together, with her surviving nephew.

There was an accident with a duck boat a few short years ago in Philly. I thought all had been banned everywhere.

I believe there had been a weather watch all day, then a specific warning. They knew what was coming.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
There was an accident with a duck boat a few short years ago in Philly. I thought all had been banned everywhere.
There was a duck tour accident that killed 5 in Seattle in 2015 (on the road, not the water) and they ceased operations in Seattle for a while, but they're back. They now are required to have both a driver and a tour operator, instead of having the driver be the entertainment - but there have continued to be accidents.

That poor woman and her nephew to have lost so many family members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information