Torvill and Dean Ice Skating Drama Greenlit

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** Torvill and Dean Ice Skating Drama Greenlit With ‘Game of Thrones’ Star Will Tudor :
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/to...a-game-of-thrones-star-will-tudor-1202882305/
The story of Britain’s Olympic-winning ice-dancing pair Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean will be told in a TV drama for ITV in the U.K. Will Tudor (“Game of Thrones”) will play Dean and Poppy Lee Friar (“Ackley Bridge”) portrays Torvill in the 120-minute drama, which Endemol Shine will sell internationally.
“We feel very honored that ITV have commissioned this film based on what was a very significant period in each of our lives,” Torvill and Dean added in a statement.

“We have thoroughly enjoyed the time we have spent with William Ivory and the team at Darlow Smithson sharing experiences of our passion for skating, the lifelong friendship that came through our sport and everything that it took to achieve our eventual goal of becoming Olympic champions.”
BBC article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44936338

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Will Tudor is a great choice! Never seen GoT but loved him in Humans. I don’t think I have seen Poppy Lee Friar in anything.

antmanb

While I will likely watch and enjoy this, part of me really does ask - do we really need another thing on Torvill and Dean?

I realise that it was a huge thing at the time but is 34 years after an event a time to create a drama about it? Is it jumping on the popularity of I, Tonya?

Part of me thinks if even 10% of the resources that are generated from T&D shows, programmes, films etc could be funnelled into skating in the UK we may actually stand a chance of producing another Olympic champion rather than looking backwards at past achievements.

As it stands we celebrate every 5 and 10 year anniversary of their win, remember them at every winter Olympics and nothing is really made of the total lack of funding and structure in UK skating that might ever cultivate the talent to get another Olympic champion.

berthesghost

While I will likely watch and enjoy this, part of me really does ask - do we really need another thing on Torvill and Dean?

I realise that it was a huge thing at the time but is 34 years after an event a time to create a drama about it? Is it jumping on the popularity of I, Tonya?

Part of me thinks if even 10% of the resources that are generated from T&D shows, programmes, films etc could be funnelled into skating in the UK we may actually stand a chance of producing another Olympic champion rather than looking backwards at past achievements.

As it stands we celebrate every 5 and 10 year anniversary of their win, remember them at every winter Olympics and nothing is really made of the total lack of funding and structure in UK skating that might ever cultivate the talent to get another Olympic champion.
because this is how the world works. With all that happened in the past, and all that is going on currently, do we really need another effing movie or tv show about Queen Elizabeth II? But trust, someone is currently planning yet another we as we speak.

Rossig

I'm all for this. It's always interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes, when famous people are working towards their dreams.

I think it's interesting that the movie will be about their very early career which wasn't easy of them, because both of them had to work to earn the living: Chris as a policeman and Jayne as an insurance clerk. And there were moments when they were close to giving up their skating passion. Personally, I think it's sad that we often forget about the history and the younger generation of FS fans just cares about the presence and the present skaters and don't even bother to watch skaters from the past. I think movies like that (provided it will be well made and well acted) is only a good thing and a can give a great insight into how much commitment is needed to achieve success.

2sk8

I'm so glad you said this - my thoughts exactly. And, lest we forget, not like this show is a charitable venture. It's on ITV, after all, for profit & where T&D have/do get money from DOI as well. Maybe they'll donate all proceeds to supporting new skaters in the UK? ;)

Sylvia

TBD
Nick Buckland tweeted on Sept. 3: https://twitter.com/N_Buckland/status/1036732652395606016
A week ago @PennyCoomes and I finished working on the @torvillanddean movie. We can’t wait for you all to see the hard work of everyone involved!
Will Tudor's reply: https://twitter.com/willtudor1/status/1036918210497589250
So incredibly lucky to have worked with the amazing @N_Buckland and @PennyCoomes on #torvillanddean - we had so much fun and incredible to get to see them work!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I worship T&D but they have already had more than one biography, more than one autobiography, a documentary, and tons of newspaper articles, magazine articles, chat show appearances, etc. There probably isn't much of the "drama" that hasn't been told already, and if their story's going to be all soap opera'd up then I think this is a really bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information