To AirBnB or not to AirBnB? That is the question...

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I've always had a fairly deep-rooted mistrust for these sorts of heavily unregulated things like AirBnB, Uber, etc and have thus far refused to use them.

However...

I'm going away for a week to another part of the country later in the year and, curious, checked AirBnB. I've found two well-reviewed, nice-looking places within a good distance of my destination for considerably cheaper than the hotel I currently have a reservation at (which is further out). Like, half the price cheaper.

Is it worth the risk? We're talking a few hundred dollars here so it's not an insignificant amount of money, and the properties/hosts seem to have lots of very good reviews...thoughts welcome...

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I use Airbnb all the time. I've had some odd experiences (keep in mind that I do the cheap end of Airbnb, so this is expected), but never anything truly horrible. Most of my experiences have been really great! The important thing is to read reviews carefully, look at all photos, and to check what amenities are listed against what your needs are. It's also a good idea to compare similarly-priced Airbnbs in the area - is what you're getting significantly higher or lower than similar places in the neighborhood?

The other important consideration is that, unless you're going for the high end (which tend to be apartments used solely for Airbnb), you're staying in someone's home. There may be some quirks, or things that aren't what you'd expect in a hotel - take the cost savings into account. I don't mean that if the place is filthy or there are no light bulbs to look the other way, but it may not look like a professional cleaning staff has been through and there may be some odd features.

If you decide to go for it and want a first-time user's discount code, let me know ;)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I've had one bad, one ok and one great experience, in places where hotel rooms cost the earth (LA, NY and Boston.) They all cost a good amount due to location and my insistence on having the place to myself, I couldn't spend the night with a stranger in his/her house.

You're young and adventurous. Go for it.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The only place where the airbnb turned out to be a fail was... Jerusalem. Otherwise it was always just fine or great.

millyskate

I've also used it quite a bit (thd cheaper end) and can echo what genevieve said. I've had 2 amazing above-and-beyond experiences, and a handful of slightly odd but perfectly safe and bearable ones. Considering I pick the cheapest option, it's to be expected. I've discovered that making sure you have a window in the room is crucial, their absence can be disguised through clever camera angles...

jeffisjeff

I haven't used AirBnB, but I have used VRBO. I'd recommend reading the descriptions/amenities in the listing very carefully. Also keep in mind that the average review scores tend to be very high, so a score of 4.5/5 isn't all that great.

D

Deleted member 1204

I've used them (including VRBO, HomeAway, etc.) all over Europe, Central America, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Brazil, and Hawaii. Never had a bad experience.

Jimena

I use Airbnb often. I have had one OK experience, but the rest have been great. I highly recommend it. A friend even rents a room in her (pretty big) house through them and she's had nothing but good experiences.

kimkom

I just booked my first one for Skate Canada. It's fairly new, so not a lot of reviews, but they are good. It's also on the low end - $50CAN for a room in a 4-bedroom house that is used strictly for Airbnb. It's a 5 minute walk to the arena and there are a few restaurants close by, so it's worth it even if the experience is "okay".

We'll see how it goes...I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about it.

Rob

Beach Bum
I don't use it because I don't like staying in other people's homes and I won't stay with strangers or share a bathroom.

An acquaintance of mine posted this on her FB page about an email exchange she had with Airbnb:

"Beware of AirBnB! If you use this site, make sure if anything goes wrong, document it. If you have a conversation with your host about the problem, record it. The resolution center only works for those renting their places, not those doing the renting. I feel as though $1010 was just extorted from me to buy the host a new garage door when our bike rack just left a small dent in one panel which we offered to replace. The owner told us he had a panel in his shed because family... members had left other dents. He just hadn't done it yet. So, we left without taking photos or thinking about it anymore until AirBnB sent me a request for payment. I even talked to the company selling him the door. They talked him into a new door instead of a panel because they make more money that way (they told me they no longer sell just panels) and upgraded the door to the deluxe version at that. AirBnB took the price of that door and depreciated it based on the age of the old door, but still! They did not communicate with me at all! I was told the owner had filed a claim so I tried to contact AirBnB, but they refused to talk to me. I was told that I had presented no evidence and their decision was final. I was not given any chance to present evidence or defend myself. I was told to pay or my account would be closed, I would not be able to use them again, and they would take legal action against me.
The host in this case took full advantage of the situation. He planned this from the time we told him about the dent, it seems to me, because he filed his claim immediately after I gave him a rave review, which by the way, Airbnb does not let you change!
I have used Airbnb for years and have never had a bad experience, but this has left a terrible taste in my mouth."

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The thing about AirBnB is that there are all sorts of listings there. A lot of folks who have vacation homes use it (as well as VRBO, HomeAway, etc.) so you are renting a house or condo just like you would if you used VRBO. Others use it to rent out a room in their homes and that's when you get the large spectrum of experiences.

I used AirBnB when I went to AZ for a race and myself and friends rented a home that a couple had on there. They were in the vacation rental home business and had rental units all over town. So they were very professional and organized.

manhn

I have used an airbnb twice--once in Toronto and the other in New Orleans. New Orleans was in the basement suite of a house. It was fine and enough room for 5 adults. We could cook dinners at home and do our laundry.

In Toronto, I chose a condo in the middle of Downtown. I needed one with a parking stall. The description said one was included, but it was really guest parking, and it was often filled by the time we came back from whatever excursion. I ended up paying to park my rental (the owner reimbursed me--the owner was a very nice guy).

I tried looking at airbnb when planning my trips to NYC and London, and I found them just as expensive as hotels (even more expensive).

I have tried two VRBOs for family reunions and they were great.

I like my amenities--gym, wifi, washer/dryer, free parking, etc. So, that limits my options wrt airbnbs.

D

Deleted member 1204

Typically, the prices for the places I book are about the same as hotels would be, but I find you can get so much more for your money with a vacation rental- for what I would pay for a hotel room, I can usually get a 2 bedroom condo or sometimes an entire house. I have never had one without wifi included, and I usually include washer/dryer in my filter so that I can bring less with me. And they leave you alone- no housekeeping banging on your door early each morning... With hotels, I find you often end up paying fees for things you never use. For me, it's a no-brainer.

DannyCurry

I've used Airbnb and Homeaway 13 times now, both in France and abroad. I love it, much better than at a hotel, IMO, because it feels homey, like you have your own place. The only bad experience I've had was at a place where you could smell the dog's smell (which I can't stand), even though the apartment had been cleaned prior to my arrival.

Last year, when I had to move back to Paris for work, I didn't have time to find an apartment quickly so I stayed an 'apartment hotel' for 3 months. Price was 860€/week (discount included). Cleaning was so-so, kitchenette was pointless and at times you had to ask at the reception for toilet paper / iron. Such poor service. An Airbnb apartment would have been so much better (but my employer wouldn't have paid me back).

I do recommend Airbnb to anyone who doesn't mind making his own bed and who is eager to try and live more like a local. Similarly to hotels, price range is really large but for the same price, I will find renting an apartment is more enjoyable than staying at a hotel. I do think that once a host has about 8 reviews, and they're good ones, you can book their place without worrying. Btw, chatting with hosts is also a fun part of an Airbnb. Never met a bad host, even the one who had a smelly dog was really nice ! Renting a place that has zero review or very few reviews is more adventurous, but hey, every host starts with zero review, even the best ones ! New hosts would even tend to make a special effort to ensure that you have a great experience (they want it to be perfect and well, of course they also want to get great reviews). Anyone should give it a try :)

MsZem

I see the sea
I stayed at two Airbnbs in Paris before finding an apartment to rent. Both were nice and well-managed; I got the sense that they were full-time Airbnb properties. It was considerably cheaper than a hotel, much roomier, and it was nice having a kitchen.

I did do a lot of searching before booking those two, and got turned down by some hosts, which was annoying. Ratings on Airbnb tend to be high, so I would rule out anything averaging less than 4.5 stars overall or for cleanliness. Few pictures or pics of less important features are also a red flag for me.

Send potential hosts a message and see how they respond to questions. If it seems like a good fit, I'd definitely go for it.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Thanks for the responses everyone! I decided to go with it. The savings were just too good to pass up. I chose one that had over 100 good reviews, a flat under the house of an older couple. They accepted my reservation last night. Fingers crossed!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
An acquaintance of mine posted this on her FB page about an email exchange she had with Airbnb:

"Beware of AirBnB! If you use this site, make sure if anything goes wrong, document it. If you have a conversation with your host about the problem, record it. The resolution center only works for those renting their places, not those doing the renting..."
I am sorry about the experience your friend had, but it's simply not true that the resolution center only works for hosts. I had an experience earlier this year where I had to go through the resolution center, and I not only got a full refund, but got the Airbnb fees refunded too. I didn't love the process of dealing with the resolution center (mostly a one-sided conversation), but they did the right thing.

It does sound like a very shitty thing happened in this situation, but the advice about documenting any damage you cause and conversations with the host about it sound pretty reasonable no matter what kind of place you are renting, even a hotel room.

MsZem

I see the sea
Did AirBnB in Helsinki for Worlds and it worked out well. Am like @PRlady though in that can't be living with a total stranger so we rented out the whole apartment.
I don't include shared apartments in the search, either. I know that's how Airbnb started, but I grew up on a kibbutz and therefore had more than enough of living with roommates by the time I turned 18 ;)

dinakt

I also use AirBnB (and VRBO) a lot- dozens of times. Experiences ranged from OK to great (knock on wood). Wishing you luck, @misskarne! Agree with everybody who said read small print to ensure the listing has all amenities that you want. E-mailing owners with questions helps, as well.

kalamalka

I've used AirBnB off and on for about 3 years, and when I'm travelling alone usually check both hotel listings and AirBnB to see what's likely to work best on both location and price. I've actually had my best experiences in owner (or tenant) occupied places, but then I'm someone who's been hosting students and travellers myself (through a non-paid hospitality exchange network) for years. As much as the place, I read the host's description of her/himself, and look for interesting people who are travellers themselves and offer some insight into the place and culture if not my own. I've had some great hosts!

I'm much less fond of the professionally-managed or commercial listings, partly because I don't like their effect on local renters, and also because even when I'm renting a whole place I want it to be somewhere someone cares about rather than just a business. (I'm looking forward to a rental next week in Vienna that looks spectacular in pictures and has equally good reviews. I enquired about it as a private room rental, but the owner is going to be away and is trusting me with her very high-end flat, at the price of a modest hotel room)

D

Deleted member 221

I find that the economics of airbnb tend to work (1) if you're staying in the same place for multiple days (the cleaning fees, etc. aren't worth it for short stays); (2) if you're multiple people getting a multi-bedroom house v. several hotel rooms; or (3) you're going to a location that's more vacation rentals than hotels anyway (e.g., most beaches).

I tend to stay in hotels because I often travel at night (after work) and because breakfast is usually included. But, if one of the above conditions apply, I'll look at airbnb, too.

I agree with others that I look for perfect reviews. Even one less than five-star review makes me cautious, and ANY problem related to check-in, communication, or the host cancelling -- no matter how minor -- is an immediate no. I tend to prefer properties that are "professional Airbnb" homes simply because I have more confidence that they'll work without issue.

If traveling with multiple people, I've learned the hard way to ask how many keys are available. It's extremely frustrating to arrive at a place that sleeps 6-8 adults and find there's only one key. I've also started to inquire about air conditioning if I'm traveling somewhere warm. I've encountered multiple places where the air conditioning was only in certain rooms. One of those also had a windowless bedroom without a/c, which made for a hot evening.

In general, I've had good experiences; no real horror stories, just some annoyances.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have only had good experiences with Airbnb. I look for places that have private entrances and private bathrooms. Has worked very well for me.

My only problem with Airbnb is an ethical one. Because people can make more money from renting as an Airbnb instead of renting it out to tenants, it has had a big impact on the rental markets in cities. Here in Australia it has contributed to the housing affordability situation because there is a lack of rental stock and I understand it has created in many other cities around the world.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I tend to stay with older hosts, and for most of them their first preference isn't to share their house -- living on a fixed income in a big house, and this subsidizes having professional cleaners and gardeners; divorced with a big mortgage and kids have moved out, etc. -- but they do, and it helps them keep their house, and they tend to understand it's a trade-off and professional relationship with expectations on both sides. Some people do it for the company, though, and when they're tired of it, they don't list anymore. Sometimes there's a learning curve for first-timers.

I don't look for perfect ratings in airbnb or Expedia or Yelp: I look to see what people's complaints are. When people expect five-star amenities and services in a three-star property, I don't care what they've rated it, and if a host had to cancel because they'd really rather not expose their guest to measles, I don't hold it against them, especially if they did everything possible to help the guests out.

joeperryfan

I was looking for a thread I posted a while ago and found this one, so my two cents.

I've used airbnb only once and rented an excellent house in Algarve when everything else was already booked. I always check it when travelling but now booking.com also offers rooms in private houses so I ended up using them instead, location of property convenience being the only reason. Lisbon is very expensive to go to right now, especially if you book close to your arrival date, so last couple of times I rented a room in one of these places, one had a shared bathroom, the other a private one in the hall. Both houses were much better than any hotel of comparable price, large rooms, clean and cozy old architecture. Excellent location on both cases. I wouldn't use this if I was travelling for work because then I like to have other commodities and can't risk being cancelled right before an event. But if you read reviews carefully and the location is good for you, then I recommend it.

Angelskates

I used AirBnb when Pepper and I stayed in Seoul, and I had only the option I stayed in because dogs weren't allowed anywhere else. I had some major issues (roof leaking) that the owner/person in charge couldn't fix and went through the resolution centre. I didn't want compensation, just to get it fixed or something, but I ended up getting a refund for all of the unused days (I didn't leave early because of the leak, and was never going to change places as it was my only option) but ended up not only getting a refund for unused days but also compensation for the trouble. Even after I told them I didn't want compensation. I found the resolution centre fantastic to deal with, and actually so did my host who liked it all going through them, we were both happy enough with the resolution and I ended up way better off than expected. All I had to do was send photos of the leaking and also of my and the hosts chat messages. It was easy and quickly resolved.

screech

When I've used the site I've only booked to have the entire apartment to myself - no shared rooms.

There are occasionally some quirks, but I've never had a 'bad' experience. I also only book places with good reviews. Also read the pricing info carefully - some places require extra cleaning fees. And I agree - make sure to read the amenities carefully.

genegri

We have used Airbnb and similar vacation rentals many times for leisure travel. Some are way better than others but overall we have been very happy with them. Keep in mind we are not very picky people and as long as the place is clean and the neighborhood is safe we will likely be satisfied.

Read the reviews. I also leave descriptive reviews as much as I can because reviews are crucially important and helpful to both future travelers and the hosts.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My hair stylist recently told me that she used AirBnB on her vacation, and she loved it. Still, I am not comfortable with the whole idea. I love Bed and Breakfasts but this feels different.

BlueOrange

I’ve used Airbnb for the first time when I went for vacation to Canada in 2016. I had a good experience in Montreal, it was good located, pretty cheap, and the owner was nice. I wanted to rent again before going to Quebec City, then Aibnb requested the copy of my passport (they didn’t request it for Montreal). As I was explained that it was for security reasons for the apartment’s owner I sent it. Then they asked me for front and profile photos and further requested my Facebook, LinkedIn accounts and other social media accounts I can’t remember about. I was shocked about all these intrusive requests and when they asked for front and profile photos, I felt like I was a potential criminal. I don’t know if this all was an obligation or not but from this moment I decided to go to hotel. It was more expensive but it was worth it. They have my passport copy and that’s all they got from me. I don’t want my personal data be sold to any company for commercial reasons. I don't care not to use Airbnb anymore, privacy is for me more important as cheap rent. But this was a slight hiccup. I enjoyed very much this trip to Canada :)

Did anyone of you read this article? Opinion Are you ready? Here is all the data Facebook and Google have on you
It is pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information