TJ Nyman accused of rape (Dalilah Sappenfield accused of supporting him)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes, I think you have the year correct (or close). I was very much in my androgynous high school phase and didn't wear any kind of dress or skirt for three years around that time - I'd stopped competing by then but still skated in local shows and always wore a unitard rather than a dress in those- Frost had made it acceptable at our rink since she trained there a few times during that phase so I was grateful to her.

Thank you - Jill Frost was one of the skaters I was thinking of who wore a unitard. There is a brief clip of her wearing one in this compilation:

Vagabond

Before this thread inevitably goes to hell, I wanted to share this interview I found when I googled Emma Tang. She talks a bit about skating but more about how she identifies as an intersectional feminist.

My thoughts are with the survivors and with her.

This thread has indeed gone to hell, with everyone posting about female skaters' costumes instead of deeper subjects like rape, abuse, investigations, and coverups. Oh, well!

Last edited:

bladesofgorey

This thread has indeed gone to hell, with everyone posting about female skaters' costumes instead of deeper subjects like rape, abuse, investigations, and coverups. Oh, well!
Yes and no: I don't think that a discussion of the rules for what skaters are allowed to wear that enforce a specific and rigid gender expression is completely unrelated to considering the sorts of environment that accepts and condones some level of sexual abuse, especially as it relates to pairs/dance skaters.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Sounds like we need to start a new separate thread just to talk about the skating outfits!

morgan rye

So Dave wanted to report/expose the issues to SafeSport, and presumably expose the issues to the public, yet he put the interview on his private/subscription-only channel. :rolleyes:
yes very frustrating it was on a pay for view situation. other that, skater leaving colorado....... does anyone really know what the hell is going on....or as someone here suggested it might be part of a hack. too many innuendos and accusations with absolutely NO facts as far as i can see. if there are any i wish someone would actually post them publicly.

morgan rye

I honestly don't see how you can compare the two. Christine Brennan is nowhere near as sensationalist as Dave Lease, and she does her research and doesn't publicize unfounded rumours. USA Today has a lot stricter editorial standards than TSL.
i don't agree. she is always up to her eyeballs in accusations and innuendo with very little fact on many occasions. surprised USA today let's her do it.

Tinami Amori

Oh good I see our usual abuse apologist/coach has appeared.
Instead of "labeling" why don't you argue the points if you don't agree. There is not such thing as "FSU official right or wrong reaction and comments" even though on some subjects some people think there is..... :) Ever heard of the The First Amendment?

okokok777

Western Society is known as a society that allows Freedom of Speech..... although lately this is questionable... :cool:

Where did bladesofgorey violate the First Amendment? IMO, at least in the US, freedom of speech is one of the more misunderstood legal principles (along with presumption of innocence , due process, libel and slander). Like @kwanfan1818 stated, that applies to the government. A person criticizing another person's comment on a forum in no way violates that right LOL.

@morgan rye Have you read through this thread yet? I explained a bit more of what was going on before-hand. Also, maybe you should try asking for clarification before claiming there are "NO facts" in the future.

Tinami Amori

Where did bladesofgorey violate the First Amendment? IMO, at least in the US, freedom of speech is one of the more misunderstood legal principles (along with presumption of innocence , due process, libel and slander). Like @kwanfan1818 stated, that applies to the government. A person criticizing another person's comment on a forum in no way violates that right LOL.

@morgan rye Have you read through this thread yet? I explained a bit more of what was going on before-hand. Also, maybe you should try asking for clarification before claiming there are "NO facts" in the future.
Yes, i read through this tread from start to end. The poster was questioning some things, no protecting the offender. He/she did not need to be accused and ridiculed: "Oh good I see our usual abuse apologist/coach has appeared".

When people negatively label you for your opinion, they are basically trying to shut you up.

Tinami Amori

People have the same First Amendment right to negatively label as the original poster has to make the original post. The First Amendment isn't violated because there are certain, limited consequences to making certain statements.
There is a difference a) between commenting on an issue and debating with an individual; b) there are such things as ethics in a debate between individual, it is not what you say it is how you say it.

If one disagrees with a comment, one should argue his/her point, not label or be dismissive. A simple "I disagree with you because..." or if one must "Hell, no way! this is how it is..." would be just dandy... ;)

morgan rye

Would you rather know who the victims are?
i would like to know if they are indeed underage and what the circumstances are. i could accuse him too and i have never met the man. this crap has gone for decades everywhere. not sure how great the safe sport lawyers are. right now it is accusation as far as i can see and as usual social media has gone off the deep end.

morgan rye

I also think it’s interesting that the girl who made the charges on Instagram did so only in an Instagram story—and used a lot of curse words and inflammatory language. If she wants people to understand the problem, she could have easily written up some detailed accounts of what she knows—leaving, of course, names out. Again, I’m not ready to judge without knowing more.
thank you for this reply.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
i would like to know if they are indeed underage and what the circumstances are. i could accuse him too and i have never met the man. this crap has gone for decades everywhere. not sure how great the safe sport lawyers are. right now it is accusation as far as i can see and as usual social media has gone off the deep end.
Yes, your posts make that very clear when you're suggesting anonymous strangers on an internet forum should know details about allegations that may not even be under investigation.

The extent of ignorance about what it's like for survivors of sexual assault to go through any sort of legal or administrative process, not to mention the First Amendment, and--while I'm at it--English capitalization rules . . .

In case anyone who is obsessed with giving alleged perpetrators the benefit of the doubt wants decent evidence why that's problematic, here's one of hundreds of publications that may be worth checking out.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I bet you wouldn’t say that if it was your own children

Carolla5501

I don’t think social media is gone off the deep in as far as you and your crap here. Your defense is pathetic.
What we are accusing you of is gross failure to understand, but of course we can’t really indict you because you’re able to hide behind a made-up name unlike people who are abused by real human beings

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information