TJ Nyman accused of rape (Dalilah Sappenfield accused of supporting him)

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Before this thread inevitably goes to hell, I wanted to share this interview I found when I googled Emma Tang. She talks a bit about skating but more about how she identifies as an intersectional feminist.

My thoughts are with the survivors and with her.

Colonel Green

Sappenfield's attitude toward the Coughlin situation was already alarming insofar as what it said about her likely attitude toward allegations of misconduct toward athletes that she favours. So this is both plausible and not surprising in the least, though that doesn't make it less terrible to read.

As to Nyman, the way he and Sappenfield dropped Sarah Feng behind her back didn't speak well of his character (albeit it's something that is far more common than it should be among male pair skaters, to all appearances), but this is quite a different level to anything I'd previously heard about him.

kirkbiggestfan

The Usfs
And Vanessa James (and Cipres) commenting on Nyman's instagram 🤢 Wasn't going to judge Vanessa before, but WOW.
They are commenting on a video of a jump on Instagram. It is not like they are commenting on Emma Tangs tweet. I want Cipres to be judged and Vanessas silence is shameful but I hope that she will be able to tell her side of the story some day.
I can’t believe that the usfsa told athletes to leave. Have they learned nothing from John Coughlin? Is that the way you protect your athletes?

muffinplus

The Usfs

They are commenting on a video of a jump on Instagram. It is not like they are commenting on Emma Tangs tweet. I want Cipres to be judged and Vanessas silence is shameful but I hope that she will be able to tell her side of the story some day.
I can’t believe that the usfsa told athletes to leave. Have they learned nothing from John Coughlin? Is that the way you protect your athletes?

Yeah i know it's a comment on a jump but it's in really bad taste to make that comment if she is aware considering her own situation.. it just looks really bad.

Last edited:

wickedwitch

It kinda is how they protect them. IIRC, if something is filed with SafeSport, USFSA has no jurisdiction and can't ban her.

That said, the USFSA should have done much more a while ago, so they wouldn't be in this position today.

Since Ms. Tang is not one of the victims, is there any thing indicating how Ms. Tang knows about this? (That I couldn't find anything doesn't mean it isn't there.)
She trained at the Broadmoor skating club with him.

attyfan

It kinda is how they protect them. IIRC, if something is filed with SafeSport, USFSA has no jurisdiction and can't ban her.

That said, the USFSA should have done much more a while ago, so they wouldn't be in this position today.

She trained at the Broadmoor skating club with him.

Thanks!

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Yeah i know it's a comment on a jump but it's in really bad taste to make that comment if she is aware considering her own situation.. it just looks really bad.
If I'm correct- she posted her comment earlier in the afternoon today right after he posted his video and then the accusations from Tang on Twitter came in the evening. I doubt Vanessa would have known about it earlier in the day. It also seems she removed the comment now.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
So, is the inference here that Tarah Kayne & Danny O'Shea left Sappenfield because these allegations were about to break?

hanca

Values her privacy
This was on Twitter:
As a reminder, Emma Tang was reportedly harassed out of Broadmoor by fellow skaters and COACHES because Emma said she believed an athlete who reported that John Coughlin raped the athlete while the athlete was sleeping.
She says she was not harassed out of Broadmoor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information