TJ Nyman accused of rape (Dalilah Sappenfield accused of supporting him)

meggonzo

Banned Member

sap5

Skating Feds need to clean house and show that they are serious about addressing issues like this. The bottom line is that right now, I would not let my kids become skaters, because there are just too many issues like this. When you have skating fans saying that they will not let their kids become skaters, that's a problem.

Hedwig

Antique member
Geesh, my first thought is not again. I'm not surprised but very disheartened by all of this. I hope all the victims get help if and when they need it and they get justice.
my first thought too. But then I thought - it is not more common than it was a few years ago. But now more people are brave enough to come forward. And that is a good thing!

muffinplus

If I'm correct- she posted her comment earlier in the afternoon today right after he posted his video and then the accusations from Tang on Twitter came in the evening. I doubt Vanessa would have known about it earlier in the day. It also seems she removed the comment now.

I mean in general...just can't help but wondering if she would have been aware of the rumors around TJ given that pairs is not that big of a world. Obviously I don't know if she did or not.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Not to defend TSL or Dave, because I don’t know him and I’m not a paying member, but don’t most boards have a section for members only that charges a fee if you want the so called insider information?

Exactly. And, for sure, the next weekly (free) This n That show will have lots of talk about this subject (plus ISP Points, Russia Cup2, etc). Sunday afternoon can’t come quickly enough. I love & appreciate what Dave & Jonathan are doing. 🍿

Colonel Green

That's not what people are objecting to. Paid for content is a legitimate thing. But generally, if something is a crime, no one should seek to profit from it.
Traditional media reporting on crime has always been paid for/profited from (whether via sale of the medium itself or via advertising).

I haven’t seen the CYA interview to know what if anything in it related to this issue, but if Lease did conduct such an interview with Nyman, it’s not fundamentally different from what 60 Minutes does.

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
Dave and Jenny were doing a live viewing of the ISU zoom comp whatever. TJ reached out to them (imo weird and kind of suspish since TSL doesnt support Dalilah) and came on the show that night. After a brief interview, he kept coming back on screen to comment on the US pairs. Safe Sport asked TSL for the recording and they gave it to them. . no crimes are discussed in the interview, by TJ or anyone else. No one has to pay for Patreon if they dont want to. I dont think this was masterminded as a Patreon event for money. If they wanted as many people to see it as possible, it would be on YouTube.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

So Dave wanted to report/expose the issues to SafeSport, and presumably expose the issues to the public, yet he put the interview on his private/subscription-only channel. :rolleyes:

Dave Lease wanted to promote Dave Lease. That much should be clear and obvious to everyone. He's not in this for the victims. He's in this for the viewers and the clicks.

Agree on both counts.

TSL and Christine Brennan seem to love feeding from the same trough, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Dave and Jenny were doing a live viewing of the ISU zoom comp whatever. TJ reached out to them (imo weird and kind of suspish since TSL doesnt support Dalilah) and came on the show that night. After a brief interview, he kept coming back on screen to comment on the US pairs. Safe Sport asked TSL for the recording and they gave it to them. . no crimes are discussed in the interview, by TJ or anyone else. No one has to pay for Patreon if they dont want to. I dont think this was masterminded as a Patreon event for money. If they wanted as many people to see it as possible, it would be on YouTube.

Reaching out to TSL is the equivalent of that iconic scene from Roman Holiday where Gregory Peck dares Audrey Hepburn to put her hand into the Mouth of Truth.

VGThuy

Not to defend TSL or Dave, because I don’t know him and I’m not a paying member, but don’t most boards have a section for members only that charges a fee if you want the so called insider information?

Not here really. At least, there's no hard rule that insider information can only be posted in the paid sections of the board.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think Vanessa knows what’s happening but is trying to distance herself from it. I’m disappointed in her as a person for not speaking out. At the very least, she could acknowledge it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Traditional media reporting on crime has always been paid for/profited from (whether via sale of the medium itself or via advertising).

I haven’t seen the CYA interview to know what if anything in it related to this issue, but if Lease did conduct such an interview with Nyman, it’s not fundamentally different from what 60 Minutes does.

Journalism is a for profit enterprise. Bloggers act like journalists sometimes, and sometimes do a better job than journalists, but ultimately, they are not journalists.

@my little pony has clarified what was available so it doesn't sound like they were concealing anything against the public good. But if they had, a better analogy is a media company holding onto evidence of crime because they can profit from announcing it at a later date.

MsZem

I see the sea
So once again we have a man acting in a despicable manner (allegedly, though I assume the allegations are true) and it's important to discuss how accountable Vanessa James is? Because of an unrelated comment on Instagram?

Skating clearly has a serious problem when it comes to sexual abuse. Much respect to those speaking out about it.

Carolla5501

Is he reporting himself for racism and other verbal harassments of skaters.

Words can hurt too, something Trashy Skating Lesson never learned!

I feel very sorry for these girls and somehow doubt that Dave Lease being in contact with safe sport will do anything to help them. But he's going to make it sound like he's a key player so gets more attention...

Colonel Green

In the first tweet i read the word "rape", and nowhere after appeared the phrases "police was contacted" and "a law suite will be brought against the offender".
Tang isn’t a victim herself, she’s reporting on what she saw at the camp.

SafeSport is apparently already investigating this; I don’t know to what extent police would be brought in. That depends quite a lot on who is reporting what.

yeslek

That's not what people are objecting to. Paid for content is a legitimate thing. But generally, if something is a crime, no one should seek to profit from it.

I understand what you are saying but it’s not like they charged for this separately? It also wasn’t an extra special interview. They were already planning on having it to watch the ISP. A lot of podcasts have patreon pages where they have extra episodes. His tweet also said that he shared it with safe sport. There can be plenty of things that bother you about them but this is a bit of a reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information