Thoroughbred Racing 2022

skipaway

That was such a fun race. I too, did not have RS. 😜
I’m not a race caller, but it seems they focus too much on the “favorites “ and loose track of the rest of the field when they’re in the homestretch. He totally missed RS advancing up the rail and finally acknowledged him jumps before the wire. Tom Durkin missed Mine that Bird

Sarah

That was such a fun race. I too, did not have RS. 😜
I’m not a race caller, but it seems they focus too much on the “favorites “ and loose track of the rest of the field when they’re in the homestretch. He totally missed RS advancing up the rail and finally acknowledged him jumps before the wire. Tom Durkin missed Mine that Bird
Yeah. He did NOT see RS. I watched the race multiple times and RS was mentioned once prior to almost passing the field. I’m watching wondering who the heck is about to pass the field wondering if the announcer is even seeing RS!

I do hope that non-racing folks or the sport horse people don’t try and get the outrider fired for his handling of RS after the race. The horse was very rank, had the pony’s reins in his mouth, bit the pony, may have bitten the outrider, and had he let go, would have been galloping with a hanging lead from his bridle… had he stepped on that and it not broken… RS was out of control (think toddler hopped up on sugar, out of control, excited, trying to run around a street or busy parking lot), someone may have gotten seriously injured…or worse. It looked bad, but rank horses are dangerous. I mean, I have a massive scar on my arm from a bite when I was a teen NOT from 3 year old racehorse and that was through 2 winter coats. I can only imagine if I was wearing a tshirt…

sk8pics

Yeah. He did NOT see RS. I watched the race multiple times and RS was mentioned once prior to almost passing the field. I’m watching wondering who the heck is about to pass the field wondering if the announcer is even seeing RS!
Yeah, he blew it almost as badly as Tom Durkin but at least he called RS’s name before the finish line. I knew right away because I could see his number just as he burst into view. It was amazing!
I do hope that non-racing folks or the sport horse people don’t try and get the outrider fired for his handling of RS after the race. The horse was very rank, had the pony’s reins in his mouth, bit the pony, may have bitten the outrider, and had he let go, would have been galloping with a hanging lead from his bridle… had he stepped on that and it not broken… RS was out of control (think toddler hopped up on sugar, out of control, excited, trying to run around a street or busy parking lot), someone may have gotten seriously injured…or worse. It looked bad, but rank horses are dangerous. I mean, I have a massive scar on my arm from a bite when I was a teen NOT from 3 year old racehorse and that was through 2 winter coats. I can only imagine if I was wearing a tshirt…
Yes, me too. I thought there would be a bigger fuss made in the media but I haven’t read anything. It was really unbelievable how he was going after that pony. He definitely was out of control, such a dangerous situation. Can you imagine if he’d thrown his jockey and gotten loose? I hope the outrider wasn’t hurt in the end.

pollyanna

I LOVED this year's Derby! Love it when an underdog comes through with a win, and I couldn't believe the announcer wasn't even acknowledging RS until the very end. What a final stretch!

Here's a bit more info on RS biting the outrider and his horse.

Jimena

I LOVED this year's Derby! Love it when an underdog comes through with a win, and I couldn't believe the announcer wasn't even acknowledging RS until the very end. What a final stretch!

Here's a bit more info on RS biting the outrider and his horse.

His trainer was on the Today show and explained what happened. It was a really good interview: you can see it here.

Sarah

Rich Strike out of Preakness. Ownership wants more time off and will point to the Belmont.
Good decision.

After he won the derby, I made the comment to my family that I wished he'd skip the Preakness. The Preakness/Pimlico tends to favor front runners and that is not Rich Strike's style. He's a closer and appears to favor distance. If they were targeting the Belmont all along, it makes sense to skip the Preakness and the short turnaround time and just wait for the race that fits his style.

sk8pics

Yeah, I agree. I was glad to see they are keeping “Richie’s” best interests at heart. Maybe he’ll win the Belmont, that would be all kinds of awesome.

centerpt1

I was hoping they wouldn't run Rich Strike in the Preakness. The timing is too soon for any horse that ran in the derby. It's also too short a distance and doesn't fit his running style. They made the right choice.

I wish the Preakness was at least 4 weeks after the KD.

sk8pics

Lots of horses run in both the Preakness and the Derby. Twenty three of them have won both the Derby and the Preakness, and then of course there's the exceptional 13 Triple Crown winners. More horses run well in both the Derby and the Preakness, although they may not win both.

That said, I agree the shorter distance didn't seem like it would be to his liking. I think it would be awesome if he wins the Belmont. I'm not sure how many times that's been done, if ever.

Sarah

The timing of the derby and Preakness is fine. It's hard, very hard, which is the point. Winning the Derby and Preakness back-to-back is hard. It should be hard. That said, it's easier to win the Derby and Preakness than the Triple Crown. But, the Preakness is a fast turn around. It's 2 weeks. It's tough. The Preakness also favors a certain running style. The track favors front runners, not closers. RS's style tends to be that of a closer. That is NOT a style that Pimlico or specifically the Preakness favors. And he is a horse that seems to like distance. So, why rush him back for a race that isn't to his liking? Chances are he won't win. The Preakness doesn't favor the come-from-behind horse. RS shouldn't change his running style. Ultimately his connections have decided to skip a race that his probably (likely) won't win in favor of a race in 5 weeks that is much more to his liking. If he races at Pimlico, loses, then he'll be tired and even less likely to do well at Belmont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information