These jumps aren't under review: The Bradie Tennell Cheer Thread!

kwanatic

I commend Bradie for fighting back in the FS but it's clear her jumps aren't as pristine as Tara & Johnny like to claim they are. She consistently receives 2-3 under-rotations in her international events to the point that she's beginning to get a reputation for it.

It's time for the whole "she never makes a mistake" narrative to die. They always say that and then act completely shocked when she does have an error. I feel like T&J are trying to establish Bradie as a skater with Medvedeva circa 2015-2017 level consistency and she's just not that skater. Bradie delivers very well but she does make mistakes. There's nothing wrong with that. Putting that level of expectation on her is only adding pressure. She doesn't need that.

I think she should scrap the 3Lz-3L combo for now. It's better to go for a stronger and cleaner 3Lz-3T rather than risk a pop or UR with the 3Lz-3L. Hopefully she and her team will get back to work and come back stronger at her next event.

VGThuy

I commend Bradie for fighting back in the FS but it's clear her jumps aren't as pristine as Tara & Johnny like to claim they are. She consistently receives 2-3 under-rotations in her international events to the point that she's beginning to get a reputation for it.

It's time for the whole "she never makes a mistake" narrative to die. They always say that and then act completely shocked when she does have an error. I feel like T&J are trying to establish Bradie as a skater with Medvedeva circa 2015-2017 level consistency and she's just not that skater. Bradie delivers very well but she does make mistakes. There's nothing wrong with that. Putting that level of expectation on her is only adding pressure. She doesn't need that.

I think she should scrap the 3Lz-3L combo for now. It's better to go for a stronger and cleaner 3Lz-3T rather than risk a pop or UR with the 3Lz-3L. Hopefully she and her team will get back to work and come back stronger at her next event.

I agree with that. I was getting tired of them saying Bradie never makes a mistake when she does. Just leave her be and let her do her thing.

Spun Silver

I'm confused because there was a while there where she really did seem to be immune to pressure or technical problems, roughly from fall 2017 up to the Olympics IIRC. Was that just a freak period, or has something happened that changed her consistency, or what?

mag

I'm confused because there was a while there where she really did seem to be immune to pressure or technical problems, roughly from fall 2017 up to the Olympics IIRC. Was that just a freak period, or has something happened that changed her consistency, or what?

There were really no outside expectations during that time. When she got to Nationals there was also quite a buzz and a “she can do no wrong” attitude. I think that helped Bradie’s confidence. After the team event I think reality started to set in and with that some doubts. I am very impressed with how Bradie and her team used the off season and I think Bradie can get that lutz loop clean in competition if it is clean in practice. They just need to keep at it and not stress if she make a mistake. The goal should be Worlds and even more importantly, Worlds next year.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I believe it was the lack of expectations. It happens to many skaters. Only a few can handle the pressure of expectations from the media, fans, and everyone else. Some learn to handle it over time. I think Bradie will learn it. I think Nathan has learned it, after two disastrous performances at the 2018 Olympics.

An athlete has to Learn how to win. Chris Evert said at one time that her coach (was it her father when she was a child?) taught her the technique, but She had to learn how to win matches.

Speaking of the thread title, I see no jinx. When the thread was created, she had strong, fully rotated jumps. However, for any athlete there are ups and downs. Somehow commentators do seem to jinx skaters in the middle of a program. However, that too can be explained. A skater lands 4-5 triples confidently. So the commentator says - he/she is skating really well, or is on fire. Then he/she gets nervous and botches the next jump or just falls on it. It is as much the skater as the commentator but because of its timing it appears as a jinx. JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: mag

Fiero425

I believe it was the lack of expectations. It happens to many skaters. Only a few can handle the pressure of expectations from the media, fans, and everyone else. Some learn to handle it over time. I think Bradie will learn it. I think Nathan has learned it, after two disastrous performances at the 2018 Olympics.

An athlete has to Learn how to win. Chris Evert said at one time that her coach (was it her father when she was a child?) taught her the technique, but She had to learn how to win matches.

Speaking of the thread title, I see no jinx. When the thread was created, she had strong, fully rotated jumps. However, for any athlete there are ups and downs. Somehow commentators do seem to jinx skaters in the middle of a program. However, that too can be explained. A skater lands 4-5 triples confidently. So the commentator says - he/she is skating really well, or is on fire. Then he/she gets nervous and botches the next jump or just falls on it. It us as much the skater as the commentator but because of its timing it appears as a jinx. JMO.

Evert's father was her primary coach! Even if she brought in someone for a while to help her out, when her confidence waned, she always went back to her dad as long as he was alive! :rolleyes: :judge: :saint: :violin:

kwanatic

Like @mag and @Vash01 said, lack of expectation. She was unknown on the big stage until after the SP at SA last year. Even after skating so well there, she was still in her element just doing her thing as usual. By nationals everyone was buzzing and she managed to turn in great performances. Beyond nationals however, that's when the expectation really took off and that's where the pressure started to intensify.

I feel sorry for her. I see the parallels between her and Gracie. Burst onto the scene and make a big splash, have everyone peg you as the hope for the US women, expectation for gold medals and high placements internationally, all while still trying to find out who you are as a skater. Gracie was under so much pressure from day one and despite some highs in her career, she experienced some really crushing lows as well, enough to cause her to step away.

I just hope Bradie can be strong and not let the pressure/expectation ruin her. She's a talented girl with a lot of potential...she doesn't have to realize all of it this season. The issue with the US women is whenever someone shows the slightest amount of potential everyone immediately latches onto that person and starts proclaiming them "the one" and heaping all of the hopes and dreams of a skater who can put pressure on the Russian and Japanese women on that person. It's enough to cause anyone to crack.

UGG

The issue with the US women is whenever someone shows the slightest amount of potential everyone immediately latches onto that person and starts proclaiming them "the one" and heaping all of the hopes and dreams of a skater who can put pressure on the Russian and Japanese

Unless your name is Ashley Wagner, the only 3x US Champion in the last 12 years, 3x GPF medalist, and only woman in 12 years to modium at worlds. 🤦‍♀️

kwanatic

Unless your name is Ashley Wagner, the only 3x US Champion in the last 12 years, 3x GPF medalist, and only woman in 12 years to modium at worlds. 🤦‍♀️

Well yeah, lol. Ashley did all of that in spite of the constant effort to pass her over for the newer girls. In a way I think the USFS's push for all of the newer talent is what allowed Ashley to hang around for so long. She was able to compete without the immense expectation and pressure heaped onto Gracie/Polina/etc. Other skaters were better than Ashley on paper but they lacked her competitive grit and determination. By sheer force of will Ashley earned those medals/titles.

#HellaRespect

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Like @mag and @Vash01 said, lack of expectation. She was unknown on the big stage until after the SP at SA last year. Even after skating so well there, she was still in her element just doing her thing as usual. By nationals everyone was buzzing and she managed to turn in great performances. Beyond nationals however, that's when the expectation really took off and that's where the pressure started to intensify.

I feel sorry for her. I see the parallels between her and Gracie. Burst onto the scene and make a big splash, have everyone peg you as the hope for the US women, expectation for gold medals and high placements internationally, all while still trying to find out who you are as a skater. Gracie was under so much pressure from day one and despite some highs in her career, she experienced some really crushing lows as well, enough to cause her to step away.

I just hope Bradie can be strong and not let the pressure/expectation ruin her. She's a talented girl with a lot of potential...she doesn't have to realize all of it this season. The issue with the US women is whenever someone shows the slightest amount of potential everyone immediately latches onto that person and starts proclaiming them "the one" and heaping all of the hopes and dreams of a skater who can put pressure on the Russian and Japanese women on that person. It's enough to cause anyone to crack.

Gracie was hyped up as the great new hope since she was a junior. She did well in her first two seasons (or was it three?). Despite her lack of a medal at the 2014 Olympics - a very respectable 4th place finish- she was still USA's great hope, leading up to the 2016 Worlds in Boston. I think by that time the expectations really caught up with her nerves. I was not aware of her other problems back then.

I think Bradie is in a better position because she didn't get noticed until last year's SA, at age 18 or 19 I think. Even then she was not considered the Great new hope until Worlds 2017. So even though it was a meteoric rise, it was not like what Gracie had to deal with- many years of expectations, long before she became an adult. At age 20 Bradie is in a better position to handle the pressure. I think at the US nationals in January we may see her handling it. If not, then next season.

SkateFanBerlin

Hoping Bradie reads none of this. She's has very good jumps - some of the 3's were beautiful - perfectly straight in the air, her skirt making a perfect circle. Not many newbies look that good. She's raising her technical level. It's early in the season. There will be mishaps - an UR, hand down. Glad to see her trying to keep up.

kwanatic

Gracie was hyped up as the great new hope since she was a junior. She did well in her first two seasons (or was it three?). Despite her lack of a medal at the 2014 Olympics - a very respectable 4th place finish- she was still USA's great hope, leading up to the 2016 Worlds in Boston. I think by that time the expectations really caught up with her nerves. I was not aware of her other problems back then.

I think Bradie is in a better position because she didn't get noticed until last year's SA, at age 18 or 19 I think. Even then she was not considered the Great new hope until Worlds 2017. So even though it was a meteoric rise, it was not like what Gracie had to deal with- many years of expectations, long before she became an adult. At age 20 Bradie is in a better position to handle the pressure. I think at the US nationals in January we may see her handling it. If not, then next season.

Beyond the 2012/2013 season Gracie placed top 5 at all of her events. For any regular skater top 5 is a big deal. Unfortunately, considering how much everyone was expecting from Gracie, she actually under-performed. People expected more from her--more gold, more titles, etc. It's clear she expected more from herself as well. Placing 4th at worlds is amazing...yet it contributed to her spiraling the following year.

Tons of pressure and not meeting other people's expectations as well as her own took a serious toll on Gracie. I do feel as though Bradie was in a slightly different position initially in terms of her being older/mature. But the hype came on quick and fast for her as well. People began hyping Bradie as soon as she beat out Ashley in the SP at SA...and the hype train really picked up speed when she delivered in the FS and medaled. From there, it was full steam ahead into nationals and straight thru to Pyeongchang, at which point the hype train crashed into the reality train and people realized that even though Bradie was amazing she had a long way to go before she'd be competitive at the top. Yet they blamed her (and the rest of team USA) as if this was something shocking. (Remember all of the "lowest US finish in ladies in blah-blah years" whining...).

Bradie has a good head on her shoulders. I'm just hoping she can keep it there and not allow setbacks like these to shake her confidence or cause her to doubt herself. She just needs to keep working and stay focused. I think she'll be fine.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Beyond the 2012/2013 season Gracie placed top 5 at all of her events. For any regular skater top 5 is a big deal. Unfortunately, considering how much everyone was expecting from Gracie, she actually under-performed. People expected more from her--more gold, more titles, etc. It's clear she expected more from herself as well. Placing 4th at worlds is amazing...yet it contributed to her spiraling the following year.

Tons of pressure and not meeting other people's expectations as well as her own took a serious toll on Gracie. I do feel as though Bradie was in a slightly different position initially in terms of her being older/mature. But the hype came on quick and fast for her as well. People began hyping Bradie as soon as she beat out Ashley in the SP at SA...and the hype train really picked up speed when she delivered in the FS and medaled. From there, it was full steam ahead into nationals and straight thru to Pyeongchang, at which point the hype train crashed into the reality train and people realized that even though Bradie was amazing she had a long way to go before she'd be competitive at the top. Yet they blamed her (and the rest of team USA) as if this was something shocking. (Remember all of the "lowest US finish in ladies in blah-blah years" whining...).

Bradie has a good head on her shoulders. I'm just hoping she can keep it there and not allow setbacks like these to shake her confidence or cause her to doubt herself. She just needs to keep working and stay focused. I think she'll be fine.

People began hyping Bradie because she is THAT good. Calm under pressure. Fab jump technique.
This year she has upped the ante, and has more to lose. I love both her programs, and think she will shake off SA, and move right along.

kwanatic

People began hyping Bradie because she is THAT good. Calm under pressure. Fab jump technique.
This year she has upped the ante, and has more to lose. I love both her programs, and think she will shake off SA, and move right along.

It was something very special to see a skater just go out and lay it down.:cheer2: She's in a tough position this year with so many people looking to her to carry the US women completely. Let's be honest, who else is there at this point? No one else is even remotely reliable outside of Bradie. In years past there were at least two semi-decent prospects. This year it's Bradie and a basket full of question marks.

I feel as though she's going to learn from this experience, adjust and come out stronger at her next event.

supergirl573

Honestly, this is the reason that Ashley doesn't have 4 National titles and another Olympic berth. I love Karen, but pushing her in 2017 and 2018 and ignoring her underrotation like everyone can't see that she does that cost Ashley big time.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. Bradie needs to stop doing the Lutz + Loop combo and just do the Lutz + Toe-loop. Karen could have moved to a Flip + Toe-loop instead of Lutz + Toe-loop, but instead got a (deserved) reputation for underrotating. Learn from other's mistakes.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Oh Dear ANL has been traveling to Berlin and I have so much to read through LOL

for all this criticizing on Bradie in her CHEER thread we all better get a good, solid grip...because she is ALL we got right now in USA ladies.... and I do mean ALL. lol

Hugs from Berlin, y'all. Xoxo

kwanatic

Anyway, to the topic at hand. Bradie needs to stop doing the Lutz + Loop combo and just do the Lutz + Toe-loop. Karen could have moved to a Flip + Toe-loop instead of Lutz + Toe-loop, but instead got a (deserved) reputation for underrotating. Learn from other's mistakes.

I think it may be worth it to risk the 3Lz-3L in the FS, but not in the SP. Until that's a clockwork trick she can perform under pressure I think going the safe/cleaner route of doing the 3Lz-3T is the way to go in the SP. At least in the FS there is space for her to make up some points if she makes a mistake. It's a lot harder to make a push for the podium when you're trying to work your way out of a hole from the SP.

DreamSkates

It's time for the whole "she never makes a mistake" narrative to die. ....
Adjustment to expectations and international competitions perhaps? Seems most skaters have some bumps in the road in the transition. No one is a machine. Such statements shouldn't be made in the first place ("she never makes a mistake").

Edit - but I do hope she keeps her head high, practices/works hard, and has stronger programs as she goes along this year [I feel confident that will happen - she is certainly capable].

UGG

Adjustment to expectations and international competitions perhaps? Seems most skaters have some bumps in the road in the transition. No one is a machine. Such statements shouldn't be made in the first place ("she never makes a mistake").

Edit - but I do hope she keeps her head high, practices/works hard, and has stronger programs as she goes along this year [I feel confident that will happen - she is certainly capable].

I agree. I mean she had mistakes at the Olympics-she fell on a jump. Where is this "she never makes a mistake" narrative coming from?

Spun Silver

I agree. I mean she had mistakes at the Olympics-she fell on a jump. Where is this "she never makes a mistake" narrative coming from?
There's a stat in this article that answers that question: "Over her four significant competitions last season through the team event at the Olympics, where she skated the short program, Tennell had made 34 jumping passes without a fall and done 33 of 34 triple jumps flawlessly." It's not like people just made it up. The hype machine hyped, but not without reason. Sports media adore streaks, and she had one.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...ome-jumps-repeat-national-champion-mentality/

AngieNikodinovLove

Excellent, brand new article on Bradie. Worth the read!

Thanksgiving weekend seems to be her friend so I will be confident for her in France. Interesting she has the same choreographer as Alexa and Chris. I really like this dude Benoit!

Says Benoit: “I was almost shocked to see how good she was, because nobody was talking about her,” Richaud, 30, said Thursday via telephone from his home in Avignon, France.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...ome-jumps-repeat-national-champion-mentality/

"Tennell, a willowy 5-feet, 6-inches, has more challenging programs this season, with more difficult transitions, fewer crossovers and a triple lutz-triple loop combination in both (in addition to a triple lutz-triple toe in the free skate.) She has been surprised that technical controllers have been dinging her for wrong or unclear edges on the triple flip and is trying to eliminate the wiggle that she feels creates a mistaken impression about the takeoff edge."

Sylvia

TBD
Bradie Tennell Brings Creativity and Determination to Grenoble by Lynn Rutherford: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...creativity-and-determination-to-grenoble.aspx
Includes quotes from choreographer Benoit Richaud, Bradie and Rosalynn Sumners who watched her live at Skate America:
For Tennell's short program, Richaud chose "Rebirth" by Hi-Finesse featuring Egyptian-British singer Natacha Atlas, from the 2014 thriller Lucy.
"Many times when I work with skaters, I make them perform to music other than (what) they will skate to, to make them feel different aspects of movement," Richaud said. "Last year, I put this on, and Bradie said, 'This is good, I like it.' I said, 'OK, we will keep it for next year.'"
"When we went on to the ice and starting working on (the short program), it was an organic process," he added. "We did it naturally, we had the music and we didn't need anything else."
The result is a fiercely driving program that requires Tennell to skate full-throttle for most of the routine.
"At the beginning, when we first choreographed it, (the choreography) felt very different, but I like to challenge myself," Tennell, who practiced the movements in front of a mirror, said. "That's the best way to grow."
"Why does it look so modern? Because I am French," Richaud laughed. "It was really funny last year; everyone was saying, 'Oh, she is doing Cinderella.' And Bradie is really very far from that. She has a lot of personality, she has a lot of power, and she works hard."

aftershocks

Banned Member
I really dislike Bradie's sp costume. Who convinced her to switch to this party-looking dress with the overly bright blue stripes and spangly sequins? It's way too distracting and simply unsuited to the music. As Bradie mentioned in an off-season interview, the music of her sp is rather haunting and melancholy. She said the music for her was like science-fiction. The current dress she's wearing is far from science fiction. It's more overly frilly borderline horror story, and not what she needs to be wearing skating to this music. It's too distracting visually for another thing.

I really wish that Bradie would return to her Autumn Classic sp dress which was simply designed and black/smoky gray in color. It was better suited to her music and choreography, and she skated with better focus. What has happened to her since then? I'm sure she's trying to focus and fix the issues. Sadly, I think the UR hammerblows from the judges can cause unseen psychological fits-and-starts in the heat of competition. I wish that Bradie and her team can confront this issue head-on instead of roundabout. Break through it and regain her confidence. If she'd skated the way she can, Bradie would have been higher up in the mix of the close marks at IDF. Meanwhile, the judges coddled Med who was generously scored, in spite of her miscues. Apparently, they'd like to help Med make GPF. The scoring throughout GP season has been laughable.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Like @mag and @Vash01 said, lack of expectation

No, I think it's probably more a mix of factors. Athletic competition is not that simple. There are many factors involved. Plus, ice is slippery. Bradie had an excellent start to the season and she looked extremely strong and amazingly confident. And then maybe there was a bit too much noise and hullabuloo about her defeating Medvedeva by a sight margin at AC. The build-up to SA was a lot. For some reason, someone thought her costumes needed redesigning, and then in her home country, Bradie got no protection in the marks. She was hammered. Meanwhile, we don't see that happen at Rostelecom, where whenever possible, home country skaters are helped out. Too much was chipped away from Bradie's confidence at SA. There were some URs, but where it was very close, the calls should not have been made against Bradie.

It's not an easy thing, dealing with trying to fix URs, which are partly due to nerves and can become a vicious cycle. No one needs to go into difficult jumping passes full of self-doubt and anxiety.

Sure, expectations are part of it. But there were expectations Bradie dealt with at Olympics and Worlds, and she stood up to the challenge and gained valuable experience. She worked extremely hard in the off-season on her aesthetics and came up with two great programs. Now, it's a matter of trying to regroup after coming up against a brick wall partly created by the fact she's not considered one of the favored 'it' girls internationally. She has to keep proving herself every time out. For that, she's got to have huge self-belief and not listen to any of the noise, either positive or negative, which is easier said than done in the spotlight.

Last edited:

Amantide

Well yeah, lol. Ashley did all of that in spite of the constant effort to pass her over for the newer girls. In a way I think the USFS's push for all of the newer talent is what allowed Ashley to hang around for so long. She was able to compete without the immense expectation and pressure heaped onto Gracie/Polina/etc. Other skaters were better than Ashley on paper but they lacked her competitive grit and determination. By sheer force of will Ashley earned those medals/titles.

#HellaRespect

Which is also one of the main reason why she usually did very well when she was "chasing", so to speak, but less so when she had to keep the lead.

AngieNikodinovLove

Our girl, Bradie, did it.

Waiting for protocols to see if/how many carrots.

God job Bradie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information